BBO Discussion Forums: Weak or strong 1NT openings - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak or strong 1NT openings Anyone tried these or similar.

#1 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-12, 17:41

I had a random thought bubble - the 'wicked 2NT' and its continuations proposed by Glenn Ashton here: http://www.bridgemat...om/weakstng.htm could easily be transferred to the one level (ABF system regulations). While the weak inclusions may have less than 7 HCP they have 'offsetting distribution' assuming you stick to 6 card suits so I do not anticipate a regulatory problem.

There is probably a big practical problem thought in that unlike the 2NT opening, it is often going to be harder for responder to guess whether you have the weak or strong hard as you rate to have less HCP when strong and less length in the bid suit when weak. Conversely, responder is more likely to want to get out of 1NT into the weak option, but also want to play 1NT opposite the strong option. The damage to the constructive 1NT auctions (~5% w/14-16 NT range, ~9% with 11-13) of hands may very well outweigh the ability to gain the ability to bid ~3% more often with preemptive hands.

I suspect you only want to try this NV - so that playing in 1NT is less of a massive issue

Anyone got experience with this or similar methods at the 1 level? Alternatively, theoretical thoughts on the method? Edit: I've played 2C as weak spades, weak diamonds or strong for a long time and have had no issues with the method, but the firepower difference when the weakest balanced inclusion is 22 rather than 15, 14 or 11 may be very significant.

edit: IMPORTANT - I mean as an *opening* not an overcall.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 01:31

Maybe not very similar but I have played 1nt as 11-19 with 5+ clubs, nf, for a few years. It is theoretically unsound as responder is gambling a lot when he passes but it seems to work.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-13, 03:28

How about transposing the "comic NT overcall" into a full-fledged opening?

(1x) 1NT = either nat or any weak 2.

Follow ups:

(1x) 1NT (dbl) ??
pass = 0-7. Overcaller pulls with a weak 2, else sticks to it.
rdbl = 8+. As above.
suit = natural 0-7.

(1x) 1NT (bid) ??
pass = 0-7.
dbl = 8+. Overcaller pulls with a weak 2, else sticks to it.
suit = natural 0-7.

(1x) 1NT (pass) ??
pass = 0-7.
2 = 8+. Overcaller passes/corrects with a weak 2, else bids 2NT (3 Stayman follow up).
suit = natural 0-7.

You can play the same way as an opening. Just copy-cat the last case.

(Hope I didn't mess this up.. I haven't played the comic NT in like 10 years lol.)

#4 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-13, 04:02

That really damages your constructive auctions though. Part of the charm of the Wicked 2NT approach is that using puppet stayman and transfers caters for a lot of weak hands and constructive hands. Having to cater for 4 weak possibilities kills all hope.

#5 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-13, 06:18

Perhaps 1NT multi; like a standard 2 multi but with a weaker strong NT option. Something like 1NT = 15-17 NT or weak two in hearts or spades.

Over this you could use a structure similar to/inspired by Heeman where 2 is a puppet to 2. Haven't worked all this out, but perhaps something like this:

1NT---
pass = Not strong enough to bid vs strong hand
2 = Forcing. Puppet to 2, but opener bids his major with the weak variant
2 = Forcing. Transfer to hearts. A weak hand with spades bids 2 (even with support?). A weak hand with hearts should perhaps bid 3? 2NT and 3m are super accepts.
2 = Non-forcing. Transfer to spades. Less than INV vs weak with hearts.
2 = Could be used as natural INV+ vs weak hands.
2NT = Invitational vs strong NT, 3-3 majors?
3m = ??
3 = Pass/correct

So not much details, but I think a base like this could work. Using 2 as a 4+ transfer to hearts and 2 as a 4+ transfer to spades may work better.

Your "2-level" could look like this :)

1NT = 15-17 NT or a weak major
2 = Strong or weak with diamonds
2 = Weak with the majors
2 = A 4 card major and 5+ diamonds, weak
2 = Weak with 5+-4+ minors
2NT = Strong

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-13, 07:25

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-October-13, 04:02, said:

That really damages your constructive auctions though. Part of the charm of the Wicked 2NT approach is that using puppet stayman and transfers caters for a lot of weak hands and constructive hands. Having to cater for 4 weak possibilities kills all hope.

In practice it's not that big a deal. But yeah I stopped playing it because it muddied the waters a bit too much :) It's pro stuff. Meckwell used the comic NT overcall for sometime, but even they stopped (I think).

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 10:04

For a few years I played 1NT as natural or a weak jump in the lowest unbid suit (freeing up 2 or 3 as for Ghestem).

Tis worked well (you needed very little alteration to the responding structure), but is no longer legal in most events I play.

#8 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 14:24

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-13, 10:04, said:

For a few years I played 1NT as natural or a weak jump in the lowest unbid suit (freeing up 2 or 3 as for Ghestem).

Tis worked well (you needed very little alteration to the responding structure), but is no longer legal in most events I play.

It's permitted in EBU level 4 events, but freeing up a bid for Gh****m is more likely to lead a TD call for other reasons!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users