• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A devisive hand

#41 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 20:31

View PostSteveMoe, on 2014-October-15, 19:29, said:

Why not ask partner for shortness instead? (I play Jacoby style responses to Jordan). If partner happens to bid 3, well then...

Ya I'm sure the opps will just pass throughout if you start with 2N
The artist formerly known as jlall

#42 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-16, 00:30

So Justin what would you bid?
No psyches on this hand. Don't know the exact hand though I do know the results. You make 5S and the opps make 5H
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#43 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-16, 01:05

Well you told me the results but...

I would bid 4S. My objective on the hand is to buy the hand. If 4S does not buy it and partner does not double I would bid 5S. I agree in general that we don't wanna make the last guess but I don't really view bidding 4S and then 5S as a guess with this hand, I am comfortable bidding to the 5 level with 7 spades and a pretty reasonable hand. I feel like if I make any non 4S bid LHO will bid something and we will have to bid 5S anyways, so I would like to apply the max pressure on LHO before having to bid 5S. If I bid, for example 2N, LHO will get to bid, RHO will probably bid 5 and I will have to bid 5S anyways. If I bid 4S it might go all pass, if not I will not be worse off bidding 5 anywyas. If I splinter LHO might double or if they bid 5x partner might X since we are in a force which I will respect but I'd be happier bidding 4S first and seeing if he doubled.

It is not foolproof to bid 5 over 5 on this hand but I do have 7 trumps and a stiff and an ace, whatever, how bad can it be?

Missing a slam is possible with 4S but I feel like buying it as cheaply as possible is the most important thing with a hand like this. Psyching seems pretty silly, I want to rob them of bidding room rather than give it to them.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#44 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-16, 04:08

Nicely put, Justin.

Don't complicate what is simple. Cheers.

#45 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-October-16, 21:01

I agree. I would have bid 4S as well. I can't understand the splinter bidders.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-17, 05:39

View PostSteveMoe, on 2014-October-15, 19:29, said:

Agree splinter inadequate (want 3 control cards - have only two).

Very common to treat the ace as two controls. But anyway you seem to be saying in the same sentence that the hand is both too strong and too weak for a splinter.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#47 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 13:31

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-17, 05:39, said:

Very common to treat the ace as two controls. But anyway you seem to be saying in the same sentence that the hand is both too strong and too weak for a splinter.

It's your native language but I don't think "3 controls" and "3 control cards" have same meaning.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#48 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-17, 13:41

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-17, 13:31, said:

It's your native language but I don't think "3 controls" and "3 control cards" have same meaning.

No, it isn't. She is an American; merely living over there.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#49 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-17, 14:03

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-17, 13:31, said:

I thought that my posts were predictable. Why are you reading them?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#50 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-17, 15:43

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-17, 14:03, said:

I thought that my posts were predictable. Why are you reading them?

Oh, just because I said you are predictable does not mean you had a free pass from being criticised. Posted Image

I know you requested the mods to force me not to reply to you, however if you write in these forums you will receive comments. And it is not a personal fight or something, I upvoted you twice when I thought you said something valuable. But obviously you are stuck in the past, or this is what you like. Regardless of what it is, get over it. Just don't expect to be not replied, it ain't gonna happen. Ignore button is everyone's *****, use it if needed and whenever you please.Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users