• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-October-11, 10:34

a general question, is it ever right to transfer over 1N with a 4 card suit

- does this depend on the strength on 1NT

if so what would be an example hand where you would transfer

many thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-11, 10:55

Not in any sort of standard system, no.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 11:04

I think it's much more often right to bid stayman with a five-card suit. Besides the usual 5/4 majors hands, I've had good success doing this on 5332 hands with a weak five-card suit.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 12:36

I might consider it with QJT9 and out but the short answer is no:

- They haven't doubled 1NT yet. 2M might get doubled
- If they double 1NT, we might be able to scramble. If they double 2M which could be a 4-2 fit there is no escape
- If p has has 4-card support he will often superaccept
- If p has 3-card support, he might compete after opps balance
- If p has 2-card support, it is likely worse than 1NT even if they don't double
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 15:37

I transfer with 4 card suits much more often than others. When I am bored. I have yet to see a good result doing it Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-11, 17:57

I've seen methods where a transfer is made on a 4-card suit with a canapé hand. Have seen this with both INV or GF. Didn't think much of it but everyone has their system.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-11, 20:41

As many, many movies would say: NOOOOO, IT'S A TRAP!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-11, 22:12

View Postawm, on 2014-October-11, 11:04, said:

I think it's much more often right to bid stayman with a five-card suit. Besides the usual 5/4 majors hands, I've had good success doing this on 5332 hands with a weak five-card suit.

I think this has a lot to recommend it.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-12, 16:43

View Posteagles123, on 2014-October-11, 10:34, said:

a general question, is it ever right to transfer over 1N with a 4 card suit

- does this depend on the strength on 1NT

many thanks

Eagles

I presume by this you mean "is it right to use a standard transfer that normally shows 5 cards ...", I would say no, but over a wide range no trump a system using systemic 4 card inv+ transfers can be useful.

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-12, 21:48

the answer is yes. if you're playing a weak no trump, and have something close to 0, 4th hand is likely to have a penalty double. by transferring you make it, on the whole, more difficult for them to extract a penalty, even if they play double of the transfer as showing a hand which would have doubled 1nt.

this is rather scoring and vulnerability dependent. at teams it's often best to take your medicine in 1nt. but at pairs you're often getting a bottom for a moderate penalty, say 500 against 430.

#11 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-14, 07:54

Playing Stayman and at least red suit transfers, then it would be non standard - though as noted as above you'll sometimes get away with it.

If you play Keri (or mods thereof) transfers on 4 (on some hand types) are routine - but then you're not playing Stayman in that way of doing things, 2 being used for other things.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#12 User is offline   kupi007 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-15, 04:58

Bidding directly 4-card suit with bad hand after weak nt have some appeal, but normally transfering to 4-card major is bad, you give extra chance to paly doubled, and as mentioned earlier, runouts after nt should handle bad hand with 4-card major that cannot stayman.

#13 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-October-15, 12:45

Xfers with a 4 cd suit are a lie sometimes used to escape partner's 1NT opener when you have a hopelessly weak hand and are non-vul. It can work on a given hand, but it erodes confidence. It can occasionally get you in serious trouble when pard superaccepts. It's like having a man who lies about having sex with some floozie. It may be the best way to go in the short term, but eventually it usually becomes a problem.

P.S. For what it is worth, I don't see the sense in playing Xfers over the weak NT. Fantunes and others do it, but they have a very complex and integrated system. Google 'Moscow Escapes' just for fun.
Trixi

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-October-15, 16:06

View Posteagles123, on 2014-October-11, 10:34, said:

a general question, is it ever right to transfer over 1N with a 4 card suit - does this depend on the strength on 1NT
IMO Transfers are artificial not natural bids. After a natural notrump bid, there are several conventional treatments that involve transfers to four card suits. In Tiger Bridge (1970), Jeremy Flint advocates 4 card transfers to escape undoubled, when partner opens a weak 1N and you have a weak hand. The hope is that 2M is less likely to be doubled than a weak notrump. He also suggests responding 3N with a weak hand and a long minor as an alternative tactic! In 1966, playing a weak notrump, Peter Pinder and he were 1st and 2nd in the McKenny Trophy

#15 User is offline   ochinko 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cooking

Posted 2014-October-16, 03:14

I must admit, I transfer to a 4 card major almost always when I have a void or a singleton in the other major, and a hand that is so weak that wouldn't consider inviting.

I can't really complain of the outcome. With a doubleton in the other major was always disastrous, though.

#16 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-October-31, 20:51

Bidding a 4-bagger like it was a 5+ bagger is OK (out of desperation) if you are playing opposite a weak or Kamikazi NT opener and you are very weak yourself. Playing Xfers opposite weak NT openers makes no sense to me, although a few top pairs do so for reasons I don't understand. You might enjoy googling 'moscow escapes bridge'.
Trixi

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users