• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choose your own Adventure

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-11, 08:19

Your choices are 2 (Natural reverse), 3 (which conveniently denies having 3 spades, since that hand would bid 2NT), or the very pessimistic 2.

If you bid 3...

Spoiler

If you bid 2...

Spoiler

If you bid 2...

Spoiler

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-11, 10:05

I'd reverse and stick to pard's choice.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 10:51

deleted duplicate post

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 10:59

I would bid 2h since it will take a perfectly fitting minimum to
make game reasonable P will upgrade club honors and heart honors
and downgrade most others that arent aces and should be able to
make a decent decision. OK NOW I will look at the spoilers sigh

hmmm SPOILER seems to indicate that responder is something like
xxxx x(x) xxxxxx(xx) (x) probably close to a min and since we are
a misfit w/o much extra

Pass

seems like the way to go. This decision is made w/o having a clue
what an original 1c 2d bid would have meant as well as would 2s
(over 2h) have shown extra spades and be forcing or not forcing.
I am also assuming an original 1d bid would have shown 4+ hearts and
said nothing about diamonds.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 11:05

gszes, on 2014-October-11, 10:59, said:

Pass

seems like the way to go. This decision is made w/o having a clue
what an original 1c 2d bid would have meant as well as would 2s
(over 2h) have shown extra spades and be forcing or not forcing.
I am also assuming an original 1d bid would have shown 4+ hearts and
said nothing about diamonds.

Partner could have shown a weak hand with a 6-card diamond suit by responding 2 to 1, 2 would have been invitational. Honestly we haven't really discussed 2, I would have assumed that it is forcing and tends to show a 5th spade.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 11:32

mgoetze, on 2014-October-11, 11:05, said:

Partner could have shown a weak hand with a 6-card diamond suit by responding 2 to 1, 2 would have been invitational. Honestly we haven't really discussed 2, I would have assumed that it is forcing and tends to show a 5th spade.

But surely you'd expect him to canape in preference if he has a 4cM? P's most likely shape looks to me something like 4261. He shouldn't be mucking around introducing five card suits at the three level, and with as many as 2Cs, he might favour passing 3 to bidding 3s on a flimsy 6 card suit. Pass before they start doubling.

I don't see much point in 2 being forcing if you're playing 2N as Leb, since he's got two ways of bidding S more encouragingly.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 12:13

Jinksy, on 2014-October-11, 11:32, said:

He shouldn't be mucking around introducing five card suits at the three level

Oh, sure, absolutely.

What should he be doing with a weak 4351 though?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 13:07

2h reverse then pass 3d.

I assume 2nt is weakish and art.
I assume we play walsh so pard is showing a weakish 4-6+
With 4=3=5=1 weakish pard passes 3c

A typical 4-6 hand might be:

Axxx..xxx....xxxxxx...void.
Note on this auction 2h might be a fake/forced reverse into a 3 card suit for some reason so we cannot pass 2h.

=----------------

" don't see much point in 2♠ being forcing if you're playing 2N as Leb, since he's got two ways of bidding S more encouragingly"

2s should be F1 as it would show 5+s and roughly 4-8/9pts. I assume no wjs.

#9 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-11, 13:47

mgoetze, on 2014-October-11, 12:13, said:

Oh, sure, absolutely.

What should he be doing with a weak 4351 though?

I would pass with the weak 4351, everything else is really terrible.
Of course we may miss a game, but every bid is a misdicription of the hand and even if partner is very strong we may not end up in the right spot.

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 13:51

This is an advert for playing 1-1=2 as a heart reverse.

All hands with diamonds can go through a forcing transfer completion of 1. Yes I know most TWalshers play this as some sort of weak NT, but they are misguided. The advantage here is that responder can pass 2 with a terrible 4-6, and bid 2 to show the death hand - typically 5-8 points with a 4351/4342/5341 or similar.

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 15:38

mike777, on 2014-October-11, 13:07, said:

I assume 2nt is weakish and art.
I assume we play walsh so pard is showing a weakish 4-6+
With 4=3=5=1 weakish pard passes 3c

I'd prefer playing in our 7 card fit to our 6 card one, personally, so as responder (assuming I didn't just pass 2 - which sounds like winning bridge if not winning partnership-development - I'd bid 3 via Leb.

2s should be F1 as it would show 5+s and roughly 4-8/9pts. I assume no wjs.

I don't see the point. At this point you must both be suspecting a misfit, and if he has still has enough power to GF, why doesn't he just bid out his shape at the 3 level?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-11, 16:40

PhilKing, on 2014-October-11, 13:51, said:

This is an advert for playing 1-1=2 as a heart reverse.

my head spins...

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-11, 18:26

All hands with diamonds can go through a forcing transfer completion of 1. Yes I know most TWalshers play this as some sort of weak NT, but they are misguided.

Yeah, I'm one of the misguided ones unfortunately. Unfortunately it's a rather big change, so not gonna happen anytime soon...
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-11, 19:10

Yes I know most TWalshers play this as some sort of weak NT, but they are misguided. .

It's not often that a player is able to criticize hundreds of players whose systems he doesn't know. It's even rarer that the criticism is valid...and here it isn't. But thanks for the lesson.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-12, 02:16

mikeh, on 2014-October-11, 19:10, said:

It's not often that a player is able to criticize hundreds of players whose systems he doesn't know. It's even rarer that the criticism is valid...and here it isn't. But thanks for the lesson.

This is a system oriented thread, so suggestions from outside the box are OK, I would have thought (as are opinions as to what is best).

And yes, I did see the bit where a jump to 2NT is artificial.

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-12, 02:39

We don't "have" t-Walsh, but are interested and considering it. Isn't Phil suggesting the transfer completion retain its normal expectation PLUS the possibility of an unbalanced opener with 4-5+ in the minors?

If so, he is offering an addition in the guise of criticism.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-October-12, 03:23

He is criticising hundreds of players whose system he does know, at least the relevant part of it, that is the point.

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-12, 14:28

aguahombre, on 2014-October-12, 02:39, said:

We don't "have" t-Walsh, but are interested and considering it. Isn't Phil suggesting the transfer completion retain its normal expectation PLUS the possibility of an unbalanced opener with 4-5+ in the minors?

If so, he is offering an addition in the guise of criticism.

maybe he is, but one cannot play the transfer acceptance as maybe NOT any spade length at all AND not restructure the rest of the system. To argue, without explanation, that those whose internally consistent methods require some spade length to accept the transfer are 'misguided' is flat out insulting not to mention arguably wrong.

I have no problem with anyone who suggests alternate approaches to methods, but that isn't what Phil was doing. He suggested one change, a change with lots of completely unmentioned ramifications, and adds to that the assertion that not playing his method is misguided.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-12, 17:18

mikeh, on 2014-October-12, 14:28, said:

maybe he is, but one cannot play the transfer acceptance as maybe NOT any spade length at all AND not restructure the rest of the system. To argue, without explanation, that those whose internally consistent methods require some spade length to accept the transfer are 'misguided' is flat out insulting not to mention arguably wrong.

I have no problem with anyone who suggests alternate approaches to methods, but that isn't what Phil was doing. He suggested one change, a change with lots of completely unmentioned ramifications, and adds to that the assertion that not playing his method is misguided.

Well - but by now you should know Phil well enough that there is a LOT of thought behind a comment like that. Dismissing an entire system out of hand would be rude, but criticizing it after giving it a lot of thought is entirely appropriate. Of course he could have expanded "misguided" into a longer and entirely polite sentence. But not everyone writes 800 word posts all the time - for my part, I don't mind the density of information in PK's posts.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-October-12, 23:47

cherdano, on 2014-October-12, 17:18, said:

Well - but by now you should know Phil well enough that there is a LOT of thought behind a comment like that. Dismissing an entire system out of hand would be rude, but criticizing it after giving it a lot of thought is entirely appropriate. Of course he could have expanded "misguided" into a longer and entirely polite sentence. But not everyone writes 800 word posts all the time - for my part, I don't mind the density of information in PK's posts.

I don't know Phil at all. I can deduce that he thinks that he has some undescribed superior method so marvelous that to play otherwise is to be misguided. Personally, I enjoy learning of methods that are superior to the ones I play or know. What I don't find useful is being told that a method, that I happen to play, is silly... that I have to be misguided to play it, without the slightest attempt to explain.

Edit

Nobody seems to have addressed the underlying issue raised by PK. He says that using 2 as a heart reverse allow responder to pass with a weak 4=6 pointed hand. Yes it does. Strangely, after 40 years of playing the game that hasn't been a major problem. I'd be interested in knowing how frequently the issue arises....I'd be surprised if it arose more than once every 30 sessions or so, and on some of those times we'll survive in 3, and on others opener will be 3=4=0=6 and we'd be better off in spades. Maybe with those we accept the transfer and somehow later show our hand?

meanwhile, what was formerly a common and easily developed method of accepting the transfer (in the way I play, opener shows precisely 3 spades and a 14-16 1N or 15-17, depending on which of 2 partnerships I am in), becomes complicated by the need for responder to cater to opener holding a rounded suit reverse. Now, this can surely be sorted out, but only by changing the structure significantly and, it seems to me, with some loss of efficiency...on hands that are far more common than the problem hands we are trying to solve.

This seems like a lot of work to cater to two very rare hands...the weak 4=6 where guessing to pass a bid where opener could have a huge hand that plays very poorly in 2 or the 'death hand' where he wants to play 2 opposite a reverse. Admittedly, we gain an artificial 2 that could be put to some use and maybe that would justify the gadget....but to mention none of this and to merely dismiss anyone not so enlightened as to play PK's mystery method as misguided seems a bit much.

I apologize to you for having used so many words. However, I have always believed that it is best to set out one's reasoning if one wants to learn the flaws in one's approach. I appreciate that you simply assume that PK has considered all of this, as indeed he may have, and that his criticism, without explanation, must be valid because.....well....because? because he is philking? Sorry, I don't doubt that he is a good player. But not every thought held or stated by a good player is a good idea, and it is truly silly to ascribe to a cult of accepting, without thought, pronouncements from anyone.

Looking to be corrected isn't the main reason I post at length but it is one of the reasons.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users