• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choose your own Adventure

#21 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-13, 04:09

It's not about the 2 transfer reverse. Fundamentally, it's about how we use step 1 after a 1-level major-suit transfer. Since it is our most economical bid, it boils down to whether we should use it to show a very specific hand-type (commonly a three raise with a particular range, slightly less commonly a weak NT with 2-3 hearts with 1NT showing 18-19), or to cover many hand types. Most TWalshers do the the former, and there are two obious gains over standard. We know what the gains are, and they are all absolutely fine.

However, does it not strike one as inefficient to limit the use of our most economical bid in such a narrow way? By playing a completion as forcing, you can do so much more. Once you do this many solutions are possible (MickyB's structure has quite a few similarities) but this one is mine. Note that balanced hands in the 18-20 range open 1, so they are not an issue. After 1-1:

1 = forcing, see below
1NT = a weak no trump
2 = nat, 6+ card suit unless specifically 45
2 = heart reverse (can start a bit lighter than standard for obvious reasons)
2 = good 4-card raise to exactly 2
2 = a bad raise to 2, typically unbalanced 11-13 with 3 card support or a minimum weak NT with 4-card support
2NT = GF with 6+ clubs, denies 3
3 = a sound rebid - eg Ax AJxxx AQJTxx
Higher = can be fairly standard, but obviously aren't :ph34r:

The hand-types that can go through a forcing 1 transfer completion are as follows:

Almost all hands with 5+4+
A very good 3-card raise to specifically 2 (nominally 14-16 3(14)5 or 3-6)
Various off-cntre 3 rebids a) a suit-oriented 3 rebid slightly lacking in high cards b) a natural 2NT rebid with 6, typically about 16+ to 18- points c) a 3 or stronger rebid with 3.

Now that sounds overloaded, but is more or less the absolute limit of what we can get into 1. The first thought would tend to be "you crazy idiot - you can't possibly get all that into 1", but it unwinds in a deceptively simple way. Responder basically bids on the assumption that he is facing 4 and 5:

1NT = to play opposite 45m minimum
2 = ditto
2 = ditto
2 = a GF relay
2 = constructive (WJS was available)
2NT/3/3 = inv opposite minors

This is how it unwinds after 1NT:
2 = 45m extras (about 16)
2 = a sound reverse - good 17+
2 = 36, strong unlimited
2 = 3 unbalanced, nominally 14-16
2NT = natural with 6
3 = natural based on playing strength
higher = no meaning

Continuations are pretty much the same after 2, are obviously manageable after 2 and 2, so just a quick look at the invitational jumps:

After 2NT: all continuational are nat F (3= cards, the 4-card raise just bids game)
After 3/3: ditto, with a raise to 4m being RKC

Trade offs

I lose the ability to stop in 1[] and the knowledge of whether it will be advantageous to remove a 1NT rebid to 2. But I believe I get way more in return. By far the biggest plus is that we have 3 ways to raise to 2. This just gains time after time, enabling frequent good stops in 2 when it is bid directly and logical routes to "unbiddable" games after the good raises.

The second biggest gain has been the ability to get to good minor-suit partscores. These days, both minors can often get lost, since we end up treating the hand as balanced or alternatively rebidding clubs. And game bidding on the minor-suit hands is also more accurate.

The transfer reverse to hearts is just a spin-off benefit, but if you just do a simple single dummy simulation of 50 or so hands, you might be surprised at how often the method gains. It makes all the lousy Lebensohl variant playable - you will almost never have to bail to 3 on some stupid doubleton again.

After that, the gains get smaller, but the overall effect is that responder often gets to know opener's general hand type and strength at a much lower level than in standard T-Walshe - not just in the unusual sequences but because the "standard" ones are also more closely defined as a result. One might assume there is a high level of information leakage, but the reverse tends to be true. After the various raises to 2, for instance, we tend to have much quicker auctions than standard bidders.

Four 3 rebids, three raises to 2, new life into 45m hands and transfer reverses. This is the future!

#22 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 05:02

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-October-11, 12:13, said:

Oh, sure, absolutely.

What should he be doing with a weak 4351 though?

I would go via the natural reverse, and pass it out.
The question is where do I want to go, ..., no idea, and ... partner should
not introduce a 5 card suit in search of a 5-?, he knowes about a
4-3 fit, he happens to have a shortage, so ruffing will be in the hand
with short trumps.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-13, 06:40

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-October-13, 04:09, said:

transfer reverses. This is the future!

PHEEAR!

#24 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-13, 07:08

thanks for the post, Phil

While I appreciate the effort, I see that in order to accommodate all this. you need to incorporate a possibly artificial 1 opener, for the 18-20 balanced hands, which emphasizes my point. Maybe your system is an improvement over t-walsh as it is commonly played, but to argue that anyone unwilling to embark upon all this artificiality is misguided is an extraordinary claim.

In NA many good pairs now play a form of meckwell precision, known as meckwell lite. Should we call them misguided because they don't play the full meckwell system? Would Fantunes be justified, given their record, in asserting that those who don't play their methods are misguided?

We all have to make tradeoffs in just how much work we want to put into what is for most of us only a hobby. Bridge for me, for example, is nowhere near the top of my priorities in life so I am content to play a relatively simple method...and I have never heard anyone claim that t-walsh as commonly played is the ultimate method. Anyone who did so would warrant being called misguided....I suspect Phil didn't mean to insult those unwilling or unable, for any number of reasons, to put in the effort required to continually tweak their methods, so this thread-jack may have arisen from an over-reaction on my part. If so, then at least it has drawn Phil out to explain his preferred method, so there has been a silver lining.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#25 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 07:35

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-13, 07:08, said:

While I appreciate the effort, I see that in order to accommodate all this. you need to incorporate a possibly artificial 1 opener, for the 18-20 balanced hands

If forced to play 1C as nat/weak bal/strong bal, perhaps Phil would advocate something like -

1C:1H (spades) -
1N = weak bal
2D = strong bal, NF
1S = various, somewhat similar to his existing kit

Having said that, the trade-offs are larger for this than in Phil's methods. Maybe he just meant people were misguided for opening 1C on both balanced ranges!

#26 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-13, 09:11

FWIW I would go with Meckwell lite - not that I think the full version is misguided ...

Regarding putting the balanced 18-20 through 1, I think it is a plus in itself, but that is an argument for another day.

#27 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-28, 19:31

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-12, 23:47, said:

I don't know Phil at all.

Mike, I am really glad we stopped picking on each other, as I think we used to do a while ago.

However, what you write here is precisely one thing that used to irk me all the time. PK is undoubtedly one of the best posters on BBF right now. well, I'd argue the best actually. Whether you agree with me on that or not, it is obvious that there is a lot of thought and/or looking at a lot of hands in top-level competition behind almost all of his posts, even if it's just posted as an off-hand remark.

I just don't understand how a strong player can read BBF now and then over the last 1-2 years and not have noticed this. I can only imagine it must come from reading BBF with a predisposed bias of "X, Y and Z are the good players in this forum, and I ignore everyone else". (Not that there aren't posters whom I ignore - but they have earned their status.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#28 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-28, 19:49

View Postcherdano, on 2014-October-28, 19:31, said:

Mike, I am really glad we stopped picking on each other, as I think we used to do a while ago.

However, what you write here is precisely one thing that used to irk me all the time. PK is undoubtedly one of the best posters on BBF right now. well, I'd argue the best actually. Whether you agree with me on that or not, it is obvious that there is a lot of thought and/or looking at a lot of hands in top-level competition behind almost all of his posts, even if it's just posted as an off-hand remark.

I just don't understand how a strong player can read BBF now and then over the last 1-2 years and not have noticed this. I can only imagine it must come from reading BBF with a predisposed bias of "X, Y and Z are the good players in this forum, and I ignore everyone else". (Not that there aren't posters whom I ignore - but they have earned their status.)

Of course I see that Phil is a fine player. I meant what I said...strangely enough....I don't know him. By contrast, I do know a few of the other posters. And with still others, I know something of their methods in real life. Phil is obviously a fine player and thinker. But I have never seen him play a single hand, have no clue (beyond the current thread) of his actual real life methods. That is all I meant to convey.

As it happens, Phil responded to my posts by explaining a lot, for which I thanked him. Nothing sinister going on, nor insulting.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 02:35

Yeah as long as he doens't pray everything will be fine :)

#30 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2014-October-29, 09:11

View PostFluffy, on 2014-October-29, 02:35, said:

Yeah as long as he doens't pray everything will be fine :)

Interesting notion

Prayer has no negative effect on anything, as far as I can tell. It does divert energy from more productive, reality-based efforts, but on the other hand it probably engenders a positive state of mind in the person doing the praying. The placebo effect is a well-known beneficial phenomenon :P So my guess is that on balance praying is probably a satisfying way to waste some time if one happens to believe in that sort of thing. Don't know what it has to do with the thread of course. I suspect it was just seen as an opportunity to make an unprovoked insult. Hope it made you feel good, fluffy :P

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-October-29, 12:00

more like a critic on you for bashing anyone who believes.

#32 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2014-October-29, 14:32

View PostFluffy, on 2014-October-29, 12:00, said:

more like a critic on you for bashing anyone who believes.

and this is relevant to what?

#33 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 15:13

If everyone is done with Mike bashing let's move on.

Mike and Phil are in my top 10 posters and I do not mind them jabbing others, including me now and then, in return for their bridge related posts. Arend (Cherdano) on the other hand, jabs at everyone when he finds an opportunity to and does not bring much about bridge part even though he has a lot to offer. Though he is rarely wrong at taking a jab at someone, I admit. But I love him as much as Phil and Mike and he is still in my top 10. Although I am aware I may as well be in his ignore list! Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#34 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2014-October-29, 15:23

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-29, 14:32, said:

and this is relevant to what?

You were the one who asked! (ok, this is a troll response :P)

#35 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-29, 15:37

every day on BBF is like a dysfunctional family gathering for a holiday meal
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#36 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-29, 16:08

View Postkuhchung, on 2014-October-29, 15:37, said:

Except the meal is each other.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#37 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-29, 16:14

Call me sick if you will, but that's the kind of holiday family meeting I love the most Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#38 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-29, 18:27

There's a reason why activity is going down around here.

#39 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2014-October-29, 18:58

View PostFluffy, on 2014-October-29, 15:23, said:

You were the one who asked! (ok, this is a troll response :P)

The bridge threads are for bridge discussions. Insult me as a bad bridge player all you want. Argue with my bridge logic....I enjoy that. You are a believer, I am not. We can agree to disagree. We can even engage in an exchange of insults on that difference, in the unlikely event that we could be bothered to do it all over again, but we do it in the WC. In the meantime, grow up and keep to bridge in the bridge threads, where I respect your contributions even when I disagree with them. If you can't...then go troll someone else. I'll place you on ignore, doubling the list of posters currently resident thereon.

#40 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-October-30, 01:37

Fluffy you are completely infantile in this thread. WTF? I don't get it, you don't even properly post on this in the religion topic (just complaining about other people's posts), just calling it a "piece of *****" thread, but you are happy to take that "*****" elsewhere? What does that make you look like?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users