BBO Discussion Forums: Wild Ave in BBO Fast Free Tournament - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wild Ave in BBO Fast Free Tournament

#21 User is offline   jazzek 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-November-01, 17:15

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-27, 09:09, said:

"Automated" refers to the fact that there's no director making rulings, everything is automatic -- slow players are replaced with robots, and the hand is finished when time runs out. Before trick 8 it automatically assigns average, after trick 8 it finishes the hand with GIB.

I am Homo sapiens and I understand all these rules. But as I show on my case it could be better for the good of the game to finish hand with GIB in any trick. Trick 8 is just a number. Tell me why Trick 8 rule is better than Trick 1 rule?

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-02, 04:46

View Postjazzek, on 2014-November-01, 17:15, said:

I am Homo sapiens and I understand all these rules. But as I show on my case it could be better for the good of the game to finish hand with GIB in any trick. Trick 8 is just a number. Tell me why Trick 8 rule is better than Trick 1 rule?

Isn't the goal to come up with a score that represents the skills of the two partnerships? The more tricks you let the computer play, the less the result is related to the players' skills.

We chose 8 as a reasonable compromise, based on decades of experience by expert bridge players like Fred and Uday. The majority of hands can be claimed when there are only 4-5 tricks left, so there's often not too much skill involved in playing those last few tricks.

#23 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-November-04, 19:44

I think what OP is referring to when he says "my automated free judge suggested leaving tournament" is that when you call the Director the only thing you can do since its automated is withdraw from tournament,
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#24 User is offline   jazzek 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-November-06, 18:15

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-02, 04:46, said:

Isn't the goal to come up with a score that represents the skills of the two partnerships? The more tricks you let the computer play, the less the result is related to the players' skills.

Isn't the goal to come up with a score that represents the true result? The less tricks the players play, the bigger chance for Ave.

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-02, 04:46, said:

We chose 8 as a reasonable compromise, based on decades of experience by expert bridge players like Fred and Uday. The majority of hands can be claimed when there are only 4-5 tricks left, so there's often not too much skill involved in playing those last few tricks.

OK. Fred and Uday are well known experts, but I think
it is just rhetoric (using big names to justify something)

And in fact you can make easily a major mistake playing in that 4-5 tricks left ending so it is not an argument for me.

Skill involved in playing is always major factor. But I just ask to help in avoiding such terrible facts as in my case - and I can not see anything that could spoil something.

Just show me the case when my vision of 1 Trick Rule is worse than 8 Trick rule.

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-November-07, 10:02

It's called a compromise and an estimate.

#26 User is offline   jazzek 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-November-09, 22:00

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-07, 10:02, said:

I asked for a case not for philosophy.

I showed my case and no philosophy is needed in my case.

Why philosophy is the answer?

#27 User is offline   jazzek 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-November-10, 16:05

View Postbarmar, on 2014-November-07, 10:02, said:

and I tried to find who likes "compromise" and "estimate" in google

I hoped that it is a maniaac to prove that this discussion is abnormal but

https://www.google.p...263.fDiQMiGZkfY

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users