BBO Discussion Forums: My very bad bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My very bad bid

Poll: My very bad bid (46 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your choice here?

1. Pass (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

2. 2H (4 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. 2S (40 votes [86.96%])

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

4. 2NT (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

5. Something else? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-08, 11:05

Partner says my bid here is one of the worst he has ever seen! What would you bid as South?
IMPs with random BBO opponents.

Open 5 card majors. 1NT forces one more bid.

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-October-08, 11:09

2. Your values aren't good enough to invite outright and you should "correct" to the 5-2 fit.
2 isn't terrible but it's likely to get you into the wrong strain. Pass could work out too.
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-08, 11:37

It is unusual that 1nt is forcing by a passed hand.

I think pass is very bad and 2nt is quite bad. 2 is not terrible but with a 5332 13-count partner might have passed 1nt, and 5143 is more likely than 5341 now that hearts is my long suit.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-08, 12:17

I adopt helene's comment re 1N as a passed hand. At most it is usually played as 'semi-forcing' by a passed hand.

As for what to bid, 2 is a 'wtp' choice.

Pass is silly for multiple reasons, including:

1) a 5-2 is probably better/safer than a 4-3, especially with 2 honours in spades
2) partner may be just short of a jumpshift and will bid again over 2. If so, then game is a strong favourite and is unreachable after pass

2 is silly because partner should pass it with a stiff, which will not result in a good contract. It is how you bid with a bad 6 card suit. Now, some might argue that you can't hold 6+ hearts and not have pre-empted, but that isn't good bridge. Imagine x Jxxxxxx Kx Qxx.

2n is a gross overbid.

so 2 is a standout bid.

I'm not sure which of 2N or 2 would qualify as the one of the worst bids he'd ever seen....they are horrible but he's led a sheltered life if he hasn't seen worse. Of course, maybe you did worse :P Technically, passing isn't a bid, btw.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 12:50

Since your 1n is forcing (even by a passed hand) there is no guarantee p has 4
diamonds (5332) so passing 2d is just as scary if not more so than converting to 2s
which conceivably could be into a 42 spade fit (though never if you always have
at least 5 opposite a passed hand--strongly recommended). This hand could easily be
a mild misfit and treating it as invitational or better is a huge overbid.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-October-08, 12:51

I would NOT play 1NTF by a passed hand. Anyhow, here, easy 2 bid, Be happy that you have JT in support rather than 2 small. I'd not introduce that mediocre (at best) suit which PD should be able to pass with a stiff. Passing 2 might leave you in a 3-3 fit on a bad day.

2NT is a gross overbid and would be a candidate for worst bid seen.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 13:01

View Postgszes, on 2014-October-08, 12:50, said:

conceivably could be into a 42 spade fit

No, if you open 1 on a 4-card suit in third seat it is with the intention to pass any response. So the rebid confirms 5+ spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 13:02

2 > pass >> 2 > 2NT.

I'm not sure which of 2N or 2 would qualify as the one of the worst bids he'd ever seen....they are horrible but he's led a sheltered life if he hasn't seen worse.

Agree.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 13:46

2 is an easy choice for me. No clear support for any suit, not enough values to invite NT, dont have my own suit and 5-2 spades with JT should be ok, maybe partner finds another bid, then I got something. 2 is an attempt to find a miserable 5-1 fit. I dont think 2NT is as bad as some say, my 3rd choice actually.

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-08, 14:24

yes would like to know his bid. only 2N is completely hideous.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 14:42

I'm dissapointed in you guys. No yet has mentioned our obligation to show support for partner by raising to 3? <_<

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 15:00

If we're not careful, we may set a BBO Forums record for the highest number of unanimous votes.

Edit: Seriously? Within an hour of my post someone voted for 2??

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2014-October-08, 16:02

#13 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 15:15

I disagree with most of you! I think 2NT is better than 2 as the third best bid -> we have some strength in both, and especially if they attack we have great stoppers. I also expect 6+ for 2.

2 is easily my first choice, and Pass is second. A good rule of thumb here is you should have at least 2 more cards in the second suit than the first in order to pass, or 1 more card if you have 4+ more HCP in that suit.

EDIT - I agree that 1NT should only be Semi-Forcing by a Passed Hand.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 15:28

"If you have never been passed in Blackwood, you can not win an individual." - Jeff Goldsmith

So, if any call you may have reasonably made is the worst call partner's ever seen, he's never won an individual...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-08, 16:18

I hereby express my choice of joining the "2 wtp" bandwagon.

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-08, 22:07

I'm also in the 2 camp.

If partner has 4 , then you have a known 5-2 fit and a 4-3 fit. It's usually better to play in the 5-2 fit.

#17 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-08, 22:58

Thanks for all the responses. I have now added my unrepentant vote for 2. :D Can someone tell me how to add a signature to all my posts? I would like mine to read "I am a stranger in a strange land." :rolleyes: I expected a nearly unanimous vote, but in favor of 2 :unsure:

If my hand was weak (xx Jxxxx Qxx Kxx for example), I would have bid 2S in a flash, and hope it goes all pass. But my hand is stronger than that minimum, and I can dream that partner might have better than a minimum too. Suppose opener has something like Axxxx QJx AKxx x (or possibly Kxxxx Qxxx AKJx void). A 2 bid by me will end the auction, and we might eek out a plus there, but I would much rather be in 4. I can also imagine hands that would play well in 3NT (with a helpful contribution from my JT), but partner needs to hear something forward going from me to get there. If opener has the dreaded stiff and a minimum, there will still be no problem if he does not panic about a possible misfit and pass ensuring a misfit, but bids again instead. After making what I consider to be a mildly forward going bid, I can happily pass if opener rebids his 5 card suit, and no harm would have been done by my shot at finding a good fit on the way to a sell out at 2. If this is a real misfit and I have the weak hand that wanted to play in 2, then I can rebid the suit and partner can pass with a stiff, knowing that he too did his best to avoid a bad situation. Getting one trick higher in a misfit is not desirable, but I think the possible gain from treating the 2 bid as forward going with a 5 card suit outweighs the possible risk.

After a few more replies, I will post partner's hand too so all can see how my 2 bid turned out. Hint, it was not pretty. :o

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-08, 23:13

View Postsilvr bull, on 2014-October-08, 22:58, said:

Thanks for all the responses. I have now added my unrepentant vote for 2. :D Can someone tell me how to add a signature to all my posts? I would like mine to read "I am a stranger in a strange land." :rolleyes: I expected a nearly unanimous vote, but in favor of 2 :unsure:

If my hand was weak (xx Jxxxx Qxx Kxx for example), I would have bid 2S in a flash, and hope it goes all pass. But my hand is stronger than that minimum, and I can dream that partner might have better than a minimum too. Suppose opener has something like Axxxx QJx AKxx x (or possibly Kxxxx Qxxx AKJx void). A 2 bid by me will end the auction, and we might eek out a plus there, but I would much rather be in 4. I can also imagine hands that would play well in 3NT (with a helpful contribution from my JT), but partner needs to hear something forward going from me to get there. If opener has the dreaded stiff and a minimum, there will still be no problem if he does not panic about a possible misfit and pass ensuring a misfit, but bids again instead. After making what I consider to be a mildly forward going bid, I can happily pass if opener rebids his 5 card suit, and no harm would have been done by my shot at finding a good fit on the way to a sell out at 2. If this is a real misfit and I have the weak hand that wanted to play in 2, then I can rebid the suit and partner can pass with a stiff, knowing that he too did his best to avoid a bad situation. Getting one trick higher in a misfit is not desirable, but I think the possible gain from treating the 2 bid as forward going with a 5 card suit outweighs the possible risk.

After a few more replies, I will post partner's hand too so all can see how my 2 bid turned out. Hint, it was not pretty. :o

You are guilty of allowing what you hold to influence your understanding of what 2 means. You'd like it to be constructive with 5 hearts. It isn't. Wishing it were doesn't make it so. The fact that you can construct hands on which partner will have bid 2 and 4 is a good contract is a snare and illusion. Until you learn that, you will never become a good bidder. You have to accept the limitations of whatever system you have agreed to play...and every system has limitations, every single one. In standard, 2 is a weak to constructive hand with 6+ hearts, and since you are a passed hand, that says your suit isn't appropriate for a weak 2. Partner is usually going to pass. If he bids, then he was going to bid over 2 so you were worried about the wrong thing. He will not be rebidding a 5 card spade suit and you are deluding yourself, again, when you entertain that possibility. At least, not if he has any basic understanding of bidding.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2014-October-09, 04:05

This is only a problem because 1NT is forcing as a passed hand! Can't wait to see your partners hand, as I am betting a pass of 1NT would have been a more than reasonable, if not best, choice. 1NT forcing here begs the question, "how will you ever know if your pd opened light?" 1NT forcing is a systemic flaw that needs correcting.

#20 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 04:35

I agree with most here that the system bid with the S hand is 2. But that doesn't automatically make 2 such a bad bid. I see it this way (using your quote, Mike, with the strike-out being my edit[!]):

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-08, 23:13, said:

In standard, 2 is a weak to constructive hand with 6+ hearts[!], and since you are a passed hand, that says your suit isn't appropriate for a weak 2. Partner is usually going to pass

and continue "and from this we infer that it is usually a 6-card suit". 2 essentially suggests misfits in opener's suits. But if you cannot bid 2 with a 5-card suit, what will you do with a 1-5-2-5 hand after 2 from opener? Let him play 2 in a 4-2 fit? 2 in a 5-1 fit? Bid 2NT with 8 HCP or less? Or will you play 2 which is probably good?

Opposite a partner who has exactly 5 spades and denied 4 hearts, I expect the following number of cards in hearts:
3 (42.4 %)
2 (38.3 %)
1 (16.6 %)
0 ( 2.7 %)
2 seems to do good rather than harm in most cases, so if we bid 2 instead of 2 the reason is not so much that 2 is such a bad bid but that 2 is what most players expect us to do with a doubleton in , and that I don't risk upsetting partner just in case he's really short in hearts. And yes, because partner may still have a 6-card suit. Yet, once we agreed that 2 CAN be a 5-card suit given the circumstances, the reason for failing to open 2 may be right that it actually IS a 5-card suit, so opener should be alerted.

From what I have read so far, I guess N hat a hand such as (a) 5-0-5-3 or (b) 6-0-4-3, passed, and things went real weird. In that case I would say - twisting your words again, Mike - N was "guilty of allowing what you [N] hold to influence your understanding of what 2 [by S] means." Actually, if I were N and the dummy came down after I passed 2 with hand (a), well, partner plays, so I get myself a snack and welcome the next board ;) . With hand (b) I would bid 2 over 2 and cross fingers.

By the way, with that hand of yours,

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-08, 12:17, said:

x Jxxxxxx Kx Qxx

I think I would open 2. I am aware this is not a system bid and I am aware this may go wrong sometimes. But I think partner will usually do the right thing (trying to assess my strength) while opponents will usually miscount the tricks. So I expect it will do more good than bad.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users