• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obvious Shift

#21 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-14, 16:52

That would be my recommendation as well, similarly to the way I recommend people just say what partner has shown instead of "diamonds, and hearts, and longer hearts, and high shortness, and the most common such pattern, and 4 ZZ points, and not one in the longest suit, but a card in the next two suits, and..." They shouldn't have to do all that work, when you know he's 1543 with no top honour in hearts but at least one in each minor, and either an ace and a queen or two kings (I'm assuming the spade queen isn't counted).

"On opening lead, we usually show upside-down attitude on the suit led compared to the Obvious Switch suit, which on this hand is []".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-October-14, 17:36

In obvious switch situations I say "We play (standard) attitude but our default is to encourage. If we discourage then we can stand the obvious switch."
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-October-15, 19:28

Partner is on opening lead against a nt contract.
You do not have to play high to win the trick, partner led the Queen (or similar). You have both length in the suit led and Ace in OS suit.

In this situation it seems logical to deny tolerance for the OS and encourage the lead.

Comments?

#24 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2015-May-16, 09:03

I like winning and I don't mind bragging when I'm playing open pairs, we won our Sectional open pairs last night with a 66% game.
I think Obvious Shift has made our good defence considerably better, it's worth the effort , time and mistakes taken to get it right.
There's something to be said for banging down the first 3 or 4 tricks when the opponents have bid game. :)

#25 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-16, 11:38

View Postjillybean, on 2015-May-16, 09:03, said:

I like winning and I don't mind bragging when I'm playing open pairs, we won our Sectional open pairs last night with a 66% game.
I think Obvious Shift has made our good defence considerably better, it's worth the effort , time and mistakes taken to get it right.
There's something to be said for banging down the first 3 or 4 tricks when the opponents have bid game. :)

Well done JB :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users