• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who is the offending side here?

#81 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-19, 01:47

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-17, 09:35, said:

You seem to be arguing against your own statement earlier --- that when you know the meaning of an unalerted call and yet ask, you are asking solely for partner's benefit. The conclusion would be that when you know a call should have been alerted or announced you should protect yourself by asking; but, if you do you are committing an infraction.

I'm not arguing against that. Because in this example that I gave, I wouldn't ask, I would just assume it's a transfer.

Assuming opener completes the transfer, at the end of the auction I might ask if they forgot to alert the transfer.

#82 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-19, 02:45

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-19, 01:47, said:

I'm not arguing against that. Because in this example that I gave, I wouldn't ask, I would just assume it's a transfer.

Assuming opener completes the transfer, at the end of the auction I might ask if they forgot to alert the transfer.

I don't understand how that is useful.

The auction started:
1NT-Pass-2 (no alert)

You assumed that 2 was a transfer, because "everybody plays transfers" or because you know your opponents and they have been playing transfers since they got married... in 1958. So, you didn't ask or say anything.

The auction has continued:
1NT-Pass-2-Pass
2-Pass-Pass-Pass

The auction is over. Now, you are >99.99% sure 2 was a transfer and now you ask whether they forgot to alert the transfer?!? You know they forgot to alert it.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#83 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-19, 06:50

It is incumbent on the offending side, when MI has been transmitted and they become the declaring side, to call the director and explain the facts after the final pass of the auction. If the OS appears not to be doing that, perhaps the correct question is "why are you not calling the director?" Seems a bit rude, so I would just call the TD myself and explain that my opponents have committed two infractions (the requirement to call the TD is a "must" law).

The tendency of people to pick up their bidding cards instantly when the auction is over — and often before it's over — is annoying when seeing the auction on the table would be helpful to the director when he arrives. Even if you call "director" as quickly as possible, they'll still pick 'em up, even though they're not supposed to do anything once the TD is called. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#84 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-October-19, 12:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-October-19, 06:50, said:

It is incumbent on the offending side, when MI has been transmitted and they become the declaring side, to call the director and explain the facts after the final pass of the auction. If the OS appears not to be doing that, perhaps the correct question is "why are you not calling the director?" Seems a bit rude, so I would just call the TD myself and explain that my opponents have committed two infractions (the requirement to call the TD is a "must" law).

The tendency of people to pick up their bidding cards instantly when the auction is over — and often before it's over — is annoying when seeing the auction on the table would be helpful to the director when he arrives. Even if you call "director" as quickly as possible, they'll still pick 'em up, even though they're not supposed to do anything once the TD is called. :(

You've been playing at my club too?

#85 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-October-19, 14:34

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-October-19, 02:45, said:

The auction is over. Now, you are >99.99% sure 2 was a transfer and now you ask whether they forgot to alert the transfer?!? You know they forgot to alert it.

It's more a reminder that they're supposed to alert, so hopefully they'll remember next time. "Did you forget to announce the transfer?" "Oh, yeah, right."

#86 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-20, 11:42

My favourite is:

1NT(whatever)-p-2-p
"transfer" 2.

Especially when I've given them the odd couple of seconds to Announce before my pass.

Grumble.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#87 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-20, 16:46

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-19, 14:34, said:

It's more a reminder that they're supposed to alert, so hopefully they'll remember next time. "Did you forget to announce the transfer?" "Oh, yeah, right."

I figured that. But it's not our job to teach the Laws to our opponents. So, either it is "no harm, no foul", or we have to go Blackshoe's way and call the TD.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#88 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-October-20, 18:30

What gets me is the number of players (I don't think I've ever heard a director voice this complaint) say that calling the TD wastes time, is a pain in the butt, yada, yada, yada. These are the same folks who bitch the loudest when after they declined to call the TD the opponents seemed to gain an advantage - even if their perception turns out to be wrong.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#89 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-October-21, 09:53

What's the point of calling the TD in a case like this? He'll ask the last passer if he would have done anything different, he'll say no, and the TD will say to call him back at the end of the hand if we feel damaged by the failure to alert. Since everyone could tell that it was a transfer, no one feels damaged, so we don't call back.

Is there really no middle ground between keeping silent and a useless director call?

#90 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-October-21, 10:09

What if the last passer would not say no? And how does anyone know whether he would or wouldn't?

The laws say that once attention is drawn to an irregularity, the director should be called. So either you call the director, or you don't draw attention to the irregularity in the first place. Your choice. Everyone's choice, really, so if someone else draws attention to it, you're back to "call the director".

If we get into the "I know better than the rules, so I'll just ignore them" culture, we'll have bigger problems than "a useless director call".
--------------------

#91 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-October-21, 18:32

The TD *should* also remind the opponents of their requirement to Announce/Alert/whatever. Hopefully, next time they may not "forget". This goes double if they've caught the dreaded "oh, we don't have to Announce 15-17 NTs anymore, do we?" disease.

Also, now the TD is aware that this pair "forgets". If the forgetting becomes habitual (I seem to remember just writing "if it's wrong, but there's no penalty, then they won't do it" in some other context), then the TD can penalize them - which should get the point across. But she can't do that if nobody ever bothers to call.

Yes, it's a waste of time (or can be). But who wasted the time? The side who followed the Laws and Regulations, or the side who didn't?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#92 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-October-22, 20:30

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-21, 09:53, said:

What's the point of calling the TD in a case like this? He'll ask the last passer if he would have done anything different, he'll say no, and the TD will say to call him back at the end of the hand if we feel damaged by the failure to alert. Since everyone could tell that it was a transfer, no one feels damaged, so we don't call back.

Is there really no middle ground between keeping silent and a useless director call?

Who decides which laws to ignore?

The game is rapidly becoming one which is run by players who believe they know the rules, mostly learned by observing other players enforcing rules. These players often make their own rulings, tell the table to disregard the infraction and get very upset when a player insists on calling the director. On the other hand, I think the directors job is becoming one of taking the money, getting the game going and keeping everyone happy.
The laws, proprieties, regulations, COC are consistently ignored or adjusted including those which include the word MUST, which to my understanding means there is no room for discretion. For example in the General COC "Each member of a partnership must have a completed convention card available." And I have just discovered there is even a line: "A pair must have a carding agreement listed on their convention cards"

Before anyone jumps up and down and says you can't enforce the laws on inexperienced players, I am not talking about 0-99'er games, this happens through out the game, at club and tournament level.

During a recent conversation with a player (200+ MP), they were telling me how they had gone down in a slam because they had inadvertently pulled a card from their hand and were told by the opponents that they had to play the card because one of them had seen it, and could prove it, it was the XX so there was no point in calling the director.
Guess what this player will say next time they see a card inadvertently played?

#93 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-October-22, 23:59

I cannot stress enough the fact that when there is an irregularity, or when you even think there's an irregularity, and someone (anyone) has drawn attention to it, call the director! If someone suggests doing something else, ignore him and call the director! If you're uncomfortable calling the director, either get over it, or give up bridge. If you think you know better than the law, you don't. Again, and again, and again, call the director!
--------------------

#94 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-October-23, 10:37

"rapidly becoming?" Ah, jillybean has truly become an old bridge player - she has joined the group for whom 20 years ago is "recent". Now in most people's cases, they're talking about changes to the Law or Alert regulation...

All of those habits were well in force when I started playing seriously, in nineteen-eightymumble... The good news is that the tolerance games have had an effect and "very upset" is much less voluble than the actual abuse that was common back then; oh and the fact you can see from one end of the room to the other.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users