BBO Discussion Forums: "Teaching" deals - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Teaching" deals Example hands to reinforce book lessons

#1 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2014-October-06, 18:34

First post, so if not the right forum, please point me to the better one.

I'll skip the exposition (available upon request), but I find myself in need of bridge deals that can be used to reinforce lessons learned in a book.

I've been playing on my phone with iBridgeBaron for about 2 years, with a 2/1 system for the last year. At a recent tailgate my wife and another couple suggested a biweekly game to help pass the spring semester. Only problem? While all are familiar with bridge there is no shared system. We decided on an introductory text (http://www.amazon.co...earn+bridge+2+1) and the goal is for us to read a chapter or so a week, get together discuss it and then play some hands that demonstrate the material. It's my job to find those deals.

We're looking for between 6 and 12 boards per evening and preferably an average result for use in IMP scoring. I've seen the material on teaching tables, but am hoping there is something more suitable for use around a dining room table.

Thanks
Bill

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-07, 00:58

View Postwclucas42, on 2014-October-06, 18:34, said:

I'll skip the exposition (available upon request), but I find myself in need of bridge deals that can be used to reinforce lessons learned in a book.

I've been playing on my phone with iBridgeBaron for about 2 years, with a 2/1 system for the last year. At a recent tailgate my wife and another couple suggested a biweekly game to help pass the spring semester. Only problem? While all are familiar with bridge there is no shared system. We decided on an introductory text (http://www.amazon.co...earn+bridge+2+1) and the goal is for us to read a chapter or so a week, get together discuss it and then play some hands that demonstrate the material. It's my job to find those deals.

We're looking for between 6 and 12 boards per evening and preferably an average result for use in IMP scoring. I've seen the material on teaching tables, but am hoping there is something more suitable for use around a dining room table.

Thanks
Bill

You can generate deals with specific constraints at a teaching or bidding table on BBO. Log in, click on Start a Table, then choose "Start a bidding table". Click Deal Source and see the options there - you can specify everything, from HCP range to exact distribution, who the dealer is, etc. After you have set the constraints click Redeal as many times as you need to get your set of deals for the week.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-07, 01:24

BBO should be enough for bidding, but for cardplay you probably need to make them up yourself. Hands that depend only on one finesse or ruffing twice in dummy are rare. Most randomly dealt hands have a lot of issues to the play.

Also, bidding hands with many constraints need more advanced dealing programs, like Thomas Andrews "Dealer". You need to learn the programming lingo though (TCL).

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-07, 01:56

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-07, 01:24, said:

BBO should be enough for bidding, but for cardplay you probably need to make them up yourself. Hands that depend only on one finesse or ruffing twice in dummy are rare. Most randomly dealt hands have a lot of issues to the play.

Also, bidding hands with many constraints need more advanced dealing programs, like Thomas Andrews "Dealer". You need to learn the programming lingo though (TCL).

If I read the OP correctly, they are trying to find a common system to play - so it's about bidding rather than card play. The Dealer on BBO is good enough for that purpose, and there's no need for fancy code IMO.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-07, 03:47

View Postwclucas42, on 2014-October-06, 18:34, said:

Thanks
Bill

http://www.rpbridge.net/rpim.htm
Not quite what you want, but very cool all the same.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-07, 06:05

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-October-07, 01:56, said:

If I read the OP correctly, they are trying to find a common system to play - so it's about bidding rather than card play.

Indeed. I was just trying to go a little bit further, should it be needed later on. And yes, for starters BBO dealer suffices.

#7 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2014-October-07, 10:02

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-October-07, 00:58, said:

You can generate deals with specific constraints at a teaching or bidding table on BBO. Log in, click on Start a Table, then choose "Start a bidding table". Click Deal Source and see the options there - you can specify everything, from HCP range to exact distribution, who the dealer is, etc. After you have set the constraints click Redeal as many times as you need to get your set of deals for the week.

This looks like its probably the best way to go about it. I've been tinkering with it a bit, and it seems like I can get the hand types I would like, but there is a follow up below.

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-October-07, 01:24, said:

Wow Tcl, last time I had any need for that was in an AI course back in the late 90's. I might have to check that out, but hopefully not for this purpose.

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-October-07, 03:47, said:

http://www.rpbridge.net/rpim.htm
Not quite what you want, but very cool all the same.

This may be useful, the bidding practice page on the same sight might also be a good source. http://www.rpbridge.net/rpbp.htm.

As a practice hand to acquaint myself with the bidding tables I tried to concoct a hand where South should open 1 NT with a 4,4,3,2 shape and responder should respond with Stayman 2 holding 4 spades. My goal was to get an auction like this

With Robots at the table the resulting bidding went:

1NT-P-2-P
2-P-3NT-AP

While Looking at the hand, I don't disagree with passing 3NT, but, for me, the point of this particular hand is pd denies 4 hearts settling on game in no trump and opener should be able to infer that they must have 4 spades and set the contract in the correct major. If I can't get the same auction I doubt the results would be comparable.

Additionally bidding tables do not seem to let you play the hand (makes sense), so I tried the same for a teaching table but can't play there either (No BB$ currently). Getting an average result for a deal would be nice, but I don't think it is a show stopper if I can't. Is there another tool I can use to get an independent result for the hands the bidding table generated?

I appreciate all of the responses, I got more answers here in a couple of hours than I do in some other venues in a month. That may be question related, but just browsing the forums it definitely seems like people try to be helpful here.

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-07, 10:16

View Postwclucas42, on 2014-October-07, 10:02, said:

I appreciate all of the responses, I got more answers here in a couple of hours than I do in some other venues in a month. That may be question related, but just browsing the forums it definitely seems like people try to be helpful here.

Definitely, the quality of responses is a function of the quality of the question. Sort of like GIGO. It was clear what you wanted, and thus.....
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-07, 10:35

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-October-07, 10:16, said:

Definitely, the quality of responses is a function of the quality of the question. Sort of like GIGO. It was clear what you wanted, and thus.....

I meant I am in over my head and asking easy questions for a change, thanks for the nod though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users