BBO Discussion Forums: Forcing or not forcing question. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forcing or not forcing question. Forcing or not forcing question.

#1 User is offline   Adam1105 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-06, 15:54

Is West's bid forcing or not forcing?

Thank you very much.

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-06, 16:03

You have to agree this with your partner. I would estimate, in my neck of the woods, 70% play it as non forcing and 30% as forcing.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-06, 16:42

Nonforcing is quite popular here in Germany, too. I myself prefer forcing and would also recommend that to beginners, as it's easier.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-06, 16:53

Maybe it should be forcing optimally, but it has been constructive but not forcing to us for so long, I am sticking with it.

This is one situation where I believe the vast majority of inexperienced and the minority of experienced players might be both right...one group after considerable thought, the other group after no thought.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-October-06, 17:11

We play it 100% forcing, but our simple overcalls are more up to strength than most peoples'

#6 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-06, 20:07

I think without discussion it is forcing just as a general meta rule and because it is a lot easier, and I play it as constructive but not forcing with spade tolerance. This comes with two big caveats: I play with very weak overcalls, and I don't play 1NT natural here which allows for a lot more auctions.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-07, 12:19

Meta-rule: if RHO passes, it's forcing. If he bids, it's NF.

Been using it for a while and never went wrong.

#8 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 08:59

Without discussion, I would assume forcing, regardless of the minimum strength of the overcall, as the weaker that may be the more you want a forcing bid when RHO passes.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-October-09, 14:26

As others have alluded, it is a matter of partnership agreement whether a new suit bid by advancer (i.e. overcaller's partner) is forcing or non forcing constructive.

Part of which method you choose is related to your overcalling style. My sense is that the more aggressively you overcall, the less important it is to force with a new suit. (Perhaps some other posters could provide more feedback on this thought.)

I have played both ways with a number of partners and don't see much difference in results between these two approaches.

What are the basic differences in methodology?

If you play new suits non forcing constructive, then the only way for advancer to force overcaller to bid again is with a cue bid of opener's suit (here, 1 - 1 - P - 2 ). Using this method to force partner is no problem for most hands. But unless you have some special agreements, it may occasionally cause some bidding problems when advancer has a strong hand with a good suit. Maybe something like xx AQx xx AKJxxx. OTOH, when advancer holds a modest hand with a good suit, say xx Axx xx KJ10xxx, advancer can offer an alternative place to play without getting the contract level too high. With a light overcall and tolerance for advancer's suit, overcaller simply passes.

If you play new suits forcing, then advancer can force overcaller to bid again by naming a new suit or with the cue bid. With the aforementioned strong hand, advancer simply bids 2 . OTOH, holding the previous example modest hand, advancer has to Pass and hope to be able to show his suit later in the auction.

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 14:36

View Postrmnka447, on 2014-October-09, 14:26, said:

If you play new suits non forcing constructive, then the only way for advancer to force overcaller to bid again is with a cue bid of opener's suit (here, 1 - 1 - P - 2 ).

This I don't agree with. If change of suit is NF, then a jump in a new suit should be strong and game forcing rather than a fit jump.

#11 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-October-09, 15:13

My vote would be forcing as an unpassed hand as I like a cuebid to be reserved for raises which is the other choice for an unconditional force. Usually wont have a monster either a decent suit with tolerance for or a really good suit of their own. When you do have a monster though you really need it forcing.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-October-09, 15:29

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-October-09, 15:13, said:

My vote would be forcing as an unpassed hand as I like a cuebid to be reserved for raises which is the other choice for an unconditional force. Usually wont have a monster either a decent suit with tolerance for or a really good suit of their own. When you do have a monster though you really need it forcing.

See PK's post just above yours.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-09, 15:46

What are the basic differences in methodology?

If you play new suits non forcing constructive, then the only way for advancer to force overcaller to bid again is with a cue bid of opener's suit (here, 1 - 1 - P - 2 ). Using this method to force partner is no problem for most hands. But unless you have some special agreements, it may occasionally cause some bidding problems when advancer has a strong hand with a good suit. Maybe something like xx AQx xx AKJxxx. OTOH, when advancer holds a modest hand with a good suit, say xx Axx xx KJ10xxx, advancer can offer an alternative place to play without getting the contract level too high. With a light overcall and tolerance for advancer's suit, overcaller simply passes.

If you play new suits forcing, then advancer can force overcaller to bid again by naming a new suit or with the cue bid. With the aforementioned strong hand, advancer simply bids 2 . OTOH, holding the previous example modest hand, advancer has to Pass and hope to be able to show his suit later in the auction.

Given the strength of my nonvulnerable 1 overcalls, playing new suits non forcing constructive, the first hand is towards the strong end of a non-forcing 2 bid and the second hand is a definite pass.

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 03:38

My sense is that the more aggressively you overcall, the less important it is to force with a new suit.

This is a concept I don't understand. LHO has opened. Partner has overcalled on perhaps not much. Responder has passed, so he has nothing, and you think you are not likely to want to force? Given the knowns, an opening hand opposite a pass, how the strength is shared between you and your partner makes little difference, that difference being only positional, so it is neither less important nor more important in my view.

Transfer replies to an overcall (Rubens) work best, because half the time you can play transfers as either weak or strong. However, in this OP scenario where my suit is lower ranking that opponent's, I do have to come down on one side or the other. Forcing for me, but no one method fits all hands.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 04:03

You are not very likely to have a gf opposite an overcall that could be a six count. Of course if nf means that partner will pass it with a typical 11 count then it would be convenient to have a one round force. But the nf but constructive 2c bid is imo necessary opposite a wide ranging overvall. If partner raises to 3c I want it to show something. About 9 to 11. This means that with 6~8 he.would pass, with 12-14 he would cue once and with 15 plus he would cue twice, i.e force to game.
I don't see how overcaller can show his strength accurately if he is forced to bid again with 6 but could also have 17.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 05:12

Without prior agreement the answer is NO.

Whether a new suit in response to an overcall should be forcing is a very old discussion.
The majority of experts do not play it as forcing.
Lawrence has probably written the most authoritative book on overcalls, widely praised, and he suggest to play it as not forcing.
Only a minority does play it as forcing.
But to assume it to be forcing without prior agreement, as some here imply, is only arguing for trouble and poor advice.

Everyone appreciates that the forcing treatment makes for easier bidding when advancer has the strongest hand dealt.

But consider the implications

LHO has opened the bidding, your chances of making game goes way down, in particular if you do not fit overcallers major.
The school which plays one level overcalls in a major as requiring an opening bid is in a minority
Most play one level overcalls as wide ranging and possibly weak ("to indicate a lead").
If you do that, advancer would need a powerhouse to bid a new suit if it is forcing.

So the majority plays such a sequence on "frequency" grounds:
It is constructive but not forcing. Advancer denies a good fit with partner.

If the overcall was at two level the decision whether a new suit by advancer should be forcing is much more contentious, since overcaller's minimum is higher.
I still believe the majority of expers plays a new suit by advancer as not forcing.

One advantage the forcing treatment brigade tends to overlook is that you might reach game, where advancer can not force, because he is simply not strong enough, but overcaller is fitting advancer's suit and overcaller got more than his overcall did imply.
This scenario is much more common than advancer holding a powerhouse.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-10, 08:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-October-06, 16:42, said:

Nonforcing is quite popular here in Germany, too.

View Postrhm, on 2014-October-10, 05:12, said:

Without prior agreement the answer is NO.

Quod erat demonstrandum. :P

The default if undiscussed definitely varies regionally.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 08:40

Probably the default here in Yorkshire is "undiscussed". In Lancaster it was forcing for most. In France it is common to play it NF if it is a 2/1 and otherwise forcing, and I think that is the most common treatment in the Netherlands also.

If this particular 2 bid is forcing then I think it shouldn't promise much in terms of clubs. It could be a 2443 with the strength of a natural 2NT bid. 2 is a cheap bid so if it is forcing it can cover quite a lot. Overcaller's 2 rebid would, in that case, not show strength but just show "nothing to say, I wish your 2 bid had been nonforcing". Of course, 2 also covers some stronger hands.

What would
(1)-1-(p)-2
(p.)-2-(p)-2
be?
Maybe it should just be a waiting bid. We can't have a heart fit in this auction, and 2 is the cheapest bid. Stopping in 2 in a 4-3 fit would occasionally be right but even if 2 is natural I think most would take it as forcing.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 12:30

Another option, which I play in one of my very rare partnerships, is "new suits NFConst, cue=force, jump cue (if possible)=strong raise" which gives you your fit jumps back.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-10, 13:53

Transfers anyone ?
Transfer Advances by Jeff Rubens is another option.

For this hand:
2C = forcing 1 round
2D! = a transfer to 2H which, if simply accepted by partner, could be passed.
2H! = a transfer to 2S which is a stronger than a natural raise .
2S! = natural raise
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users