BBO Discussion Forums: What should pd have for this auction? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What should pd have for this auction?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-04, 16:29

I screwed this one badly.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-04, 16:38

I'm not willing to specify a hand for partner, but I am willing to commit to a pass.

Yes, on some hands consistent with the auction we might take 9 tricks before they take 5, but he has less than opening values, and I doubt he has 6 diamonds, tho 1=4=6=2 is possible.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 16:44

I think 1462 would just reopen with 3D. 1453 seems more likely (trying to get to clubs, but not wanting to play 2N). Of course 1453 might pass 2N as we might be 4324 we don't need AJ9x of spades to bid 2N so I'm not sure what is percentage there.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-04, 16:52

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-October-04, 16:44, said:

I think 1462 would just reopen with 3D. 1453 seems more likely (trying to get to clubs, but not wanting to play 2N). Of course 1453 might pass 2N as we might be 4324 we don't need AJ9x of spades to bid 2N so I'm not sure what is percentage there.

What do you expect for 2nd dbl Justin, regarding strength? I expected, rightly or wrongly something like

x
QJxx
Axxxxx
Kx

Perhaps some would start 2 with this, idk.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 16:57

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-04, 16:52, said:

What do you expect for 2nd dbl Justin, regarding strength? I expected, rightly or wrongly something like

x
QJxx
Axxxxx
Kx

Perhaps some would start 2 with this, idk.

So a hand too weak to start with 2D, and too strong to balance with 3D? I guess that makes sense. I don't know tbh. Was thinking 6-4 either starts with 2D or balances 3D but I would def start with X with your example hand and then feel a little guilty about reopening with 3D since I could be much weaker.

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 17:04

How about 1552/0553 type hands with like an 8 count? If a balancing 2N is natural, those hands have to double and bid 3D over 2N hoping to play 3 of a red suit.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-04, 17:17

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-October-04, 17:04, said:

How about 1552/0553 type hands with like an 8 count? If a balancing 2N is natural, those hands have to double and bid 3D over 2N hoping to play 3 of a red suit.

Man...as I said i blew this one badly. I bid 3 over 3 dreaming that pd has 4-6 type and that my red values are fitting perfectly. Now came 4 from pd....

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-October-05, 07:41

4 hearts and 5+ diamonds? In any case pass. Pard bidding sounds weakish.

If pard did have a red 54 or 64 and a GF, he could have tried either 3 or 3NT.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-05, 12:00

P has probably close to invitational values and feels
3d might be safer than 2n if we have only one or even
a speculative QTx? stopper.

We have a wonderful fit in p long suit and almost always
have 2 spade stoppers while I heartily agree with the original
2n bid anything but 3n here seems wrong (a smallish case can be
made for 4d trying for 5d at IMPs but I would save that for
Axxx in spades not AJ98).