• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marks out of 10 for 3C?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:02

MP, best hand South, pro Gib 30

OK, 2D may be questionable. But it still only promises 3 card Clubs.

If North is not worth 2N on this hand, when will it bid 2N?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-October-02, 13:02, said:

If North is not worth 2N on this hand, when will it bid 2N?

Do you mean over 1 or over 2? B-)

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 14:48

A familiar theme. 3C zero out of 10, why GIB refuses to bid NT I can't imagine. What was the rationale for 2D? 2NT seems obvious.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-03, 00:24

View Postiandayre, on 2014-October-02, 14:48, said:

What was the rationale for 2D? 2NT seems obvious.

Yes 2N rebid is probably right on this hand.

Opener's 2N rebid (after inverted minor raise or after 1D-2C) is a weak part of GIB, being a wide range of strengths opposite a potentially invitational hand which invariably passes 2N when the initial minor raise was based on less than GF. I have trained myself never to rebid 2N, although when I remember I can do so with a minimum opener that would not itself accept any game try. I forgot on this occasion, but probably South should reject any game try.

The explanation of 2D is a little weird. It does not expressly name the minimum Diamond length but "new suit" may indicate an expectation of 4+. In that case GIB might reasonably expect me also to have 4+ Clubs (maybe even 5+) else 1D would have been the systemic opener. I wonder whether a 2M rebid also would promise 4, although in that case 3+ Clubs would still be possible.

I only chose 2D as a bit of an experiment, to see if it would affect the opening lead v NT.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-03, 09:44

In my view, BBO has uninvented the wheel when it comes to inverted minor raises. 3 at responder's second turn should show 5+s (who plays 4-3 minor suit fits at the 3 level?) and an invitational hand - a hand that would have jumped to 3 initially playing limit minor raises.

If North evaluates its hand as invitational, it should probably bid 2NT initially - in game or partial, NT is probably the place to play, and South can pull to 3 with a weak unbalanced hand. If North evaluates the hand as a game force, 2 initially is okay, but its next bid needs to be 3NT. 2 followed by 3 is 0 because, as here, it can get you too high and into the wrong spot.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users