• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marks out of 10 for 4S?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-02, 12:50

MP, best hand South, pro gib 30

Not really sure about this one. Just unlucky? Maybe I could have saved a trick, but it would not have helped much - still one off

Being super-max for 2C I thought that a cue below game was a safe move.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:16

This is a repeat of a frequent topic: North should bid 1 over 1 rather than prioritizing the 3-card limit raise.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:23

I don't know if that is going to help.

Say it starts
1H - 1S
2C - 3H
??

Is South now no longer worth 4C? And if South bids 4C, is North less inclined to bid 4S than had he started with 1N?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:31

I think South is less inclined to bid 4 if he thinkshas been warned North has wasted values in spades.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:38

Check out Georgi's post #8 in this thread: http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry725890

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:44

Hmm Georgi says he fixed this in ver 27 in that thread. We are now in ver 30

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:46

yup...

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 14:39

4S no more than 2 out of 10. South did not jump shift.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-October-02, 17:15

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-October-02, 13:31, said:

I think South is less inclined to bid 4 if he thinkshas been warned North has wasted values in spades.

Having only a stiff Spade myself, it comes as no real surprise that partner has sufficient Spade length to justify bidding them at the 1 level, for which he does not require much in the way of wasted values. I don't think that this should discourage a 4C bid. Particularly in the context of the limits imposed by the earlier 2C bid.

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 23:30

Basically no real help in clubs, about the worst possible heart holding, no diamond control. Bidding past game with a 4 cuebid is a standout. :P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users