• You cannot reply to this topic

Hello, Dali

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-02, 09:43

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

So, either the robot has a problem bidding suits (unless they're no longer than 3 cards) or it's peeking. Consider the surreal masterpiece that is the display hand.

I would not have been surprised if the robot had made a negative double with the West hand - it loves to cloud the auction with conventional bids that misrepresent the distribution of its hand when more descriptive suit bids are available. However, the 1 bid defies logic, unless the robots have adopted canape without giving notice. The only thing it accomplishes is to avoid the suit (I think 4 will be pretty tough to beat) and instead reach 4, which, on the layout, is likely to attract a double. Of course, 4 can be beaten, but only if South diagnoses the suppressed 6-card suit very early and lays down the A to tap West (or gets nervous and decides to "settle" for plus 200 by cashing.) Even then, the winning defense is pretty difficult. However, when plus 500 is a sure thing if West is the expected 4-5-2-2 (after the second holds) and plus 800 is a real possibility if partner has just a little bit more than a Q and two Js for his raise, why would you cash out? Who would even consider the possibility that West was 6-5-2-0 for its 1 bid? If I encountered bidding like this against humans who were other than rank novices I'd suspect that they had a wire.

Note to those who never make takeout doubles with strong, single-suited hands. A player who doubled 1 for take-out got to defend 2 doubled on this hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users