BBO Discussion Forums: Defence to 12-14 NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defence to 12-14 NT Your choice Double or Bid?

#1 User is offline   thebiker 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-02, 08:16

Playing MP's
Dealer W EW Vul You are East

West North East
P 1NT (12-14) ?

East's hand
Spades void
Hearts AQJT8
Diamonds AQJ5
Clubs K942

As East what action would you take? Why would you choose a particular action?

(a) Double - penalty
or
(b) Bid 2H's
or
© If available to your partnership, make a conventional overcall showing a two suited hand with hearts
or
(d) Something else

Thank you in advance for your answers

regards

"thebiker"

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-02, 08:39

I wouldn't bid hearts.

If I have a call that shows five hearts and a 4-card minor (or, alternatively, shows a three-suited hand short in spades) I would prefer to use that.

I wouldn't double. Opps are going to bid spades and although we have hopefully agreed to play my second double as t/o I wouldn't be too happy about doing it with a void in their suit. I think partner is allowed to leave such a double in with four trumps.

If I don't have a convention suitable for this hand I would pass, planing to double their 2 bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 09:05

I would double.

I don't expect it to be left in, but it sets a baseline for the remainder of the auction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-October-02, 09:17

methods matter

In my partnerships we play that 2 is a transfer

(dble = 15+ but I wouldn't choose that with this hand
2C = majors
2D/H = transfers
2S = both minors
2N = one minor, good hand/suit tho less than 15 usually
3 bids semi-preemptive)

I intend to rebid 3 over a simple acceptance, and then over a preference to hearts, I may choose 4C, but I will await table action/development before committing to that action.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-October-02, 09:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-October-02, 09:05, said:

I would double.

I don't expect it to be left in, but it sets a baseline for the remainder of the auction.

I agree, I need to have something more extreme than this to not double with this many points, the real danger is not that opps bid spades, it's that partner does with 6 to the 10 and out, then it gets ugly fast.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 13:09

View Postmikeh, on 2014-October-02, 09:17, said:

methods matter

In my partnerships we play that 2 is a transfer

(dble = 15+ but I wouldn't choose that with this hand
2C = majors
2D/H = transfers
2S = both minors
2N = one minor, good hand/suit tho less than 15 usually
3 bids semi-preemptive)
I intend to rebid 3 over a simple acceptance, and then over a preference to hearts, I may choose 4C, but I will await table action/development before committing to that action.

I play transfers against weak notrumps as well on the theory that you always get a 2nd kick at the can with shapely good hands and we play systems on as if you opened a strong notrump after a double.

My dream hand was Ax, Axxxxxx, AKQx, void

After a weak notrump by rho I bid 2 xfer to hearts - p - p! to a 3 bid. I chickened out with 6 but the other table was -1 in 4 opposite pards pointless 7 diamonds and heart void.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-02, 15:44

I double in sleep almost regardless of my overcalls (though I usually play simple Landy by preference). I'm planning to rebid something showing a 2-suiter (for me, 2N showing Hs and an unspecified minor) if they bid Ss.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 00:07

I dislike transfers against weak or strong NTs as I dont believe in giving opponents 2 options on a hand. Hence I prefer Asptro. On this hand I would double, especially given the vulnerability.
Where are you parrot?

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 02:28

View PostNabooba, on 2014-October-03, 00:07, said:

I dislike transfers against weak or strong NTs as I dont believe in giving opponents 2 options on a hand. Hence I prefer Asptro. On this hand I would double, especially given the vulnerability.

I don't have experience playing transfer overcalls so I can't know for sure but I would think that giving the opponents the choice between a direct and a delayed auction in this situation it is less of a problem than in other contested auctions. The 1NT opener's partner is captain and pretty much just places the contract, on most hands he doesn't need the extra options we give him.

Of course they can agree to play a direct 2NT as lebensohl and a delayed 2NT as minors, and stuff like that, which will occasionaly allow them to reach a good 3m contract they otherwise wouldn't find.

Maybe the biggest problem is that they can show diamonds by doubling 2.

Playing matchpoints I have come to the conclusion that it is better to play the same way against 12-14 1NT as you would against strong 1NT, i.e. something with an artificial double and very light overcalls. Once in a blue moon they will go four down undoubled against our game but then we just have to hope that they are unfavorable or that the rest of the field fail to bid game which is quite difficult after an enemy 1NT opening. Meanwhile, we get to obstruct their bidding and win a lot of partscore battles, and when opener's partner hold 5 points and five clubs we don't help them to a club contract by doubling 1NT.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 03:03

Maybe the biggest problem is that they can show diamonds by doubling 2♦.

My intuition would be to play values by the double, just as if they Xed your xfer. Then it's much easier for them to penalise you or bid to the right level.

#11 User is offline   thebiker 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 03:59

If your choice of action was double (penalty) your next problem is what to do when the oppo bid a direct 4S against you which comes to the doubler. Your partner taking no part in the auction

What meanings would you assign now to (a)Double (b) 4NT

regards

thebiker

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-October-03, 04:21

X..... - penalty
4NT. - 2 Places to play

Regarding the initial question, I would go with X, unless I can show
2 of my suits, including hearts, in a forcing manner, I can.

Over 4S, I guess I bid 4NT, playing IMPs, I would double.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-03, 06:22

View Postthebiker, on 2014-October-03, 03:59, said:

If your choice of action was double (penalty) your next problem is what to do when the oppo bid a direct 4S against you which comes to the doubler. Your partner taking no part in the auction

What meanings would you assign now to (a)Double (b) 4NT

regards

thebiker

X pens, 4N two places, as per P_Marlowe. I've doubled a lot of weak NTs on a lot of shapely hands, and never seen the opps actually compete above the 3 level yet, so I'll worry about this when it actually causes a problem.

#14 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 08:42

Agree with helene-t's both posts. Never penalty double, and pass if this hand is not covered by your artificial double.

#15 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 08:45

View Postthebiker, on 2014-October-02, 08:16, said:

Playing MP's
Dealer W EW Vul You are East

West North East
P 1NT (12-14) ?

East's hand
Spades void
Hearts AQJT8
Diamonds AQJ5
Clubs K942

As East what action would you take? Why would you choose a particular action?

(a) Double - penalty
or
(b) Bid 2H's
or
© If available to your partnership, make a conventional overcall showing a two suited hand with hearts
or
(d) Something else

Thank you in advance for your answers

regards

"thebiker"

Against a weak NT, I always play Capp. I need very little (other than a fit) from partner to make a suit game. On a really good day, slam is possible. If one is a pessimist, she would double. If one is an optimist, she would bid 2 hearts. If game is there we can probably set 1NT 4 tricks. Now, when I played weak NT, I also played "escapes." So we don't know if spades is an escape.

Given all of this, I would double and take any plus score. If the partner of the 1nt bidder bids redouble, that is a request to escape. If the opps escape to 2sp, I can always bid 3 spades if pard doesn't double.

#16 User is offline   AreyHakaal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-October-04, 08:52

playing Landy and transfers ,I would bid 2D and if partner bids only 2H I will bid 2S .Now this can't be a suit.If I had a second suit I would have shown that so this shows in my methods a spade void 544 hand and ambition with four losers.Of course if opponents preempt in spades to 3 or 4 level it becomes impossible to go any further and on the table atmosphere either bid 4 or 3 NT showing the 3 suiter or else to double hoping partner short in hearts.

#17 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 11:26

I double to start with & bid 4NT after their 4.

#18 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-05, 04:37

I've got 2H as hearts + minor but partner is never going to get the joke. I'd start with X then try 4NT. The question is do I advance 5C to 5D

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-05, 06:34

I think you are all ignoring a good point by Cyberyeti. What to do when opponent's bid Spades, at whatever level, is a lesser problem contrasted with what to do when partner does.

It does not stop me X-ing 1N, but it is a real problem.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#20 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-October-05, 14:53

Double 1NT, then double 4!S for take-out
4NT is a two-seater.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users