BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding their way (NOT) to glory. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding their way (NOT) to glory.

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-01, 10:29

IMPs, I presume basic GIB. Yes, it's the same hand I posted in another thread, at a different table.

All three NT bids by EW are inconsistent with their explanations.
  • Of course, I have sympathy for 3N, as many humans would also make this bid. (So, maybe get rid of the "no fit in C" part of the explanation?) I suppose that (at IMPs) some clairvoyants might bid 4 instead and find a nice 6 contract, but that's asking a bit much.
  • 4NT seems to be another example of GIB not quite getting the difference between counting HCP for NT and total points for suit contracts, although maybe 17-18 is a little high.
  • 6NT appears to be another example of GIB having an "accept with anything except an absolute minimum" approach rather than an "accept with the top half of your possible range" approach.

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 12:26

It's not really all that bad of a slam. Just need to bring in clubs, and then either find K[s] in the slot or get a non-heart lead.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 20:47

View PostTylerE, on 2014-October-01, 12:26, said:

It's not really all that bad of a slam. Just need to bring in clubs, and then either find K[s] in the slot or get a non-heart lead.

I think if the K is offside you only have eleven tricks, no? (5C, 2D, 1H, 3S)

I must admit, 3H by North is a little wimpish even vul. Partner is passed, you have a void in opps suit, 7-4 and a pretty decent suit of your own. Still, East's 6NT made up for it!

ahydra

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 20:59

Oops, doh, you're right. Still, it's probably, I dunno, 45%ish? Depending on how likely you think the preempter having the off-suit K is. 6 obv. is better and the logical thing for the E robot to do is bid 6 as an offer to play there over 4N... if you're going to 6 it can't really hurt to show the fit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users