• You cannot reply to this topic

2Qt4wrdz

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-01, 09:42

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

I don't mind missing the sub-30% slam, and I certainly don't mind missing the sub-15% slam (both made at every table where they were bid), but I do object to missing the excellent game. The culprit, in my opinion, is once again North's use of an ambiguous "limit raise or better" cue bid while suppressing two very important features of the hand - the excellent suit and the stiff . North's subsequent 3 bid, promising exactly what the cue bid promised, is a grotesque underbid, leaving South to look at his/her unlovely hand and guess whether to pass, bid 3 NT (down off the top) or bid something else ("have you suppressed any singletons or semi-solid 6 card suits, partner?"). Note that if South bids 3 immediately over the double of 2, promising 12-13 total points and 3+ (not a bit more than what the 1 opening promised) North will drive the hand to game.

I have seen North use the "limit raise or better" cue bid twice recently - in the first instance it suppressed a good 5 card suit, and here it suppressed a great 6-card suit and a singleton in the opponents' suit. In my opinion, the robot's implementation of this convention needs attention.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-01, 10:46

Looks to me like South is taking advantage of the extraneous "best hand South" information to pass an unlimited bid by partner.

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-01, 11:58

Actually no. I only use that information when I open a flat 11-count in 1st or 2nd seat, and I only open those hands out of frustration over the robot's refusal to protect with an 11-count in 3rd or 4th seat. Those hands come up too often to settle for 33% scores all the time.

Here, since passing 2 doubled was not a viable option, I assumed that North was showing the "limit raise" component of "limit raise or better" by making a minimum bid in the agreed upon suit. How else does North make a non-forcing bid without a stopper, holding, say xx xxx AQxxx Axx (a hand for which there is no other bid but 2)? Note that even 3 is in jeopardy with that hand. And why would North persist in hiding all the good features of its hand when so many descriptive and clearly-forcing bids were available?

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 12:24

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-October-01, 10:46, said:

Looks to me like South is taking advantage of the extraneous "best hand South" information to pass an unlimited bid by partner.

Kind of ridiculous that 3 is defined as unlimited.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-01, 14:06

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-October-01, 11:58, said:

How else does North make a non-forcing bid without a stopper, holding, say xx xxx AQxxx Axx (a hand for which there is no other bid but 2)?
I wonder what a redouble by North would show.

View PostStephen Tu, on 2014-October-01, 12:24, said:

Kind of ridiculous that 3 is defined as unlimited.

We've had several posts recently (some by Helene, I think) pointing out situations where limited-sounding bids are explained as unlimited (and then sometimes passed by GIB anyway).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users