• Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-September-25, 21:22

2 WTP?

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-26, 00:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-September-25, 11:42, said:

That would be strange and would mean all unbalanced 2C opening bids are forcing to game in and of themselves.

And your point is? :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-26, 06:59

View Postwank, on 2014-September-25, 12:56, said:

2 is a GF for almost everyone. it's got nothing to do with whether you play 1960s english bridge or not and more to do with not having to pre-empt yourself on the 2nd round when you hold a strong and possibly 2 or 3 suited hand. if you have something that looks like a game force, you force to game and, sad story, but sometimes it doesn't make.

I fully agree that 2 is F, but it was the "G" I object to. The 2 continuation I too would take as forcing, but not GF. If you bid the next step then opener can describe his 2-suiter. A 3-suiter is best managed with a different opening in my view. But 2 automatically GF, or 2 automatically GF after a double negative? Certainly not.

#24 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-26, 08:01

Isn't the main point of playing the super-negative response to allow us to end in 3M? I think that if I played 2 as GF unless balanced I would prefer to use the 2 response for something else.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#25 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-26, 14:49

Back to the hand. Of course with this hand you will bid anyway, whether 2 was forcing or not. But assume it is forcing one bid, and you have not agreed to play Kokish (or an automatic 2 continuation).

Is there not a case for playing paradox responses, to cater for opener having an unspecified 2-suiter? Bid the suit you do NOT want to play in? Here on this hand you bid 3, so that opener plays the hand. Now whatever opener chooses as his second suit you can raise to game. All else being equal, it is better for opener to be playing the contract rather than you, as could happen if you bid spades.

Is this another time for paradox responses?

#26 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-September-26, 21:15

Three suits have been bid, so declaring only is unknown as to spades. Switch 2S and 2N makes sense.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#27 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-27, 03:25

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-September-26, 21:15, said:

Three suits have been bid, so declaring only is unknown as to spades. Switch 2S and 2N makes sense.

Spades is a critical suit it would be best not to bid, I agree, but diamonds has also not been bid. 2NT may be dangerous, as opener may have a balanced hand and perhaps partnership style may bid this way with a 5 card heart suit. 3 paradox is better.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users