Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Hand

#1 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 12:51

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before but here goes...

Today, playing an ACBL MPs Robot Individual game, I had this funny hand…

T
QJ84
KT84
AQ62

North (GIB) opened 1, I responded 1, GIB bid 1 and I bid 1NT !!!

I have 12 HCP and I know that GIB can’t have more than me, so, at best, 3NT would be on 24 HCP. Although I know GIB will pass 2NT with his 12 HCP, I have known GIB to make weird bids in the past and did not want to take that chance. Further more, 2NT on 24 HCP might not be makable. They could run 6 tricks in the first 7 tricks.

So, I decided to play the odds and get out with my plus at 1NT, but I did so with the information that GIB cant have more then 12 HCP which is an information that I would not have at a real bridge table. In fact, I made 3 on an endplay, for a 79.2% where half the field was at 3NT down 1 or 2.

So the question is…

Is it possible to get rid of that situation where South has absolutely the best hand by having either…

1) North POSSIBLY having up to 1 more HCP then South

Or

2) One of the other 3 players POSSIBLY having 1 more HCP then South.

I’m saying possibly sometime, not absolutely all the time. It would make South declarer still most of the time but South would have to tip-toe a bit more.

Just a thought ! I imagine the ACBL will have a say !

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 16:06

I am not convinced that you make a good argument for disturbing the status quo.

The data which informed your decision to stay low on this hand was data that was equally available to all other human players sitting in the same seat as you. Clearly you exploited that data to better advantage than many of your human counterparts. If anything, an environment which rewards the exercise of skill is a strength rather than a weakness of the system. If everyone always got to the same contract on hands such as this, then that would be an indicator that change was required.

I am all for variety, and BBO does provide a mixture of tourneys where sometimes it is best hand south, other times completely random. I think that the BHS tourneys are more frequent, because they are more popular. Certainly it is a different game.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users