Auction UI or AI? EBU

#1 User is offline   par31 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 07:16

Club multiple teams, 4 board matches IMPs -> VPs
Bidding boxes in use

Table result 4=W, NS-420.

2 is alerted and explained by East as spades and a minor. The correct explanation is weak with both majors. East had misread the bid as 2.

X is undiscussed.

2NT is alerted and explained by West as a game-forcing enquiry. Opposite a 2 opener, 2NT would have been Lebensohl-like. After this explanation, East woke up to his mistake and the TD was called. After North was provided with the correct explanation of the 2 bid he was given the option to change his double which he declined.

1) Is it UI or AI to East that West has opened 2?

2) Do you adjust the score?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 07:43

Your description of events is quite clear that east was woken up by west's explanation. 4 is therefore disallowed.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 07:52

View Postpar31, on 2014-September-24, 07:16, said:

1) Is it UI or AI to East that West has opened 2?
2) Do you adjust the score?

The actual auction is always AI, which is why the cards are left out. Law 16 specifies that the player may use information if:
(a) it derives from the legal calls and plays of the current board (including illegal calls and plays that are accepted) and is unaffected by unauthorized information from another source.

West's explanation however does wake East up to the fact that he has misread the bid. However, the AI that West opened 2H makes 4H the only logical alternative based on the authorised auction. In addition, if 2NT was to play in a minor, then 3S would be impossible. No adjustment for me.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 08:31

If the West explanation of 2NT didn't wake East up, the 3S rebid would have woke him up anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 08:42

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-September-24, 08:31, said:

If the West explanation of 2NT didn't wake East up, the 3S rebid would have woke him up anyway.

Shouldn't we assume that that isn't the case if we are unsure? Maybe 3 would show 6-5 if the opening had been 2?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-24, 08:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-24, 08:42, said:

Shouldn't we assume that that isn't the case if we are unsure? Maybe 3 would show 6-5 if the opening had been 2?

Why are we unsure? The idea that the auction is UI is bonkers.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 08:49

Hmm ok I suppose that once he looked at his partner's bidding cards again to see the second bid he would likely notice the correct first bid anyway.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 09:11

View Postlamford, on 2014-September-24, 07:52, said:

The actual auction is always AI, which is why the cards are left out. Law 16 specifies that the player may use information if:
(a) it derives from the legal calls and plays of the current board (including illegal calls and plays that are accepted) and is unaffected by unauthorized information from another source.

That depends on how you interpret "unaffected by unauthorized information from another source". Here East is only aware of the relevant information because of West's explanation, so I'm inclined to think it is affected by that UI.

#9 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 09:44

IMO if he misread the bid once, he could do so again. Allowing 4 feels like a license to use partner's explanations as AI.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-September-24, 10:16

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-24, 08:42, said:

I can't imagine showing 6-5, and leaving the minor undisclosed, in response to 2NT which, despite the "lebensohl-like" misnomer in the OP, must be asking for the minor. 3S has to be an impossible rebid which itself would alert responder to relook at the auction.

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-September-24, 17:32

View Postcampboy, on 2014-September-24, 09:11, said:

That depends on how you interpret "unaffected by unauthorized information from another source". Here East is only aware of the relevant information because of West's explanation, so I'm inclined to think it is affected by that UI.

I agree it is affected, but the auction is still AI, and logical alternatives are decided using the actual auction.

#12 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-25, 03:18

View Postlamford, on 2014-September-24, 17:32, said:

I agree it is affected, but the auction is still AI, and logical alternatives are decided using the actual auction.

Why do you think the 2 bid is still AI? Law 16A1a (which you previously quoted) doesn't say so, since it only covers information unaffected by UI from another source. So which law does?

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-25, 05:23

View Postcampboy, on 2014-September-25, 03:18, said:

Why do you think the 2 bid is still AI? Law 16A1a (which you previously quoted) doesn't say so, since it only covers information unaffected by UI from another source. So which law does?

Read the quoted portion of the law again.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-September-25, 06:31

View PostVampyr, on 2014-September-25, 05:23, said:

Read the quoted portion of the law again.

I read Campboy's post again. The knowledge that partner actually opened 2H (normally AI because it is staring us in the face) could be said to have been "affected" by UI. Responder did not notice the actual 2H bid before the explanation.

At that point, we had a problem. However, the 3S rebid is AI; if 3S is impossible after 2S-2NT, then the wake-up should be allowed, IMO.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-25, 09:56

I really have to wonder whether most of the participants in this thread believe what they are posting or are just saying it for effect.

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-September-25, 10:46

View Postcampboy, on 2014-September-25, 03:18, said:

That law itself. The bid itself is AI. The information from the bidding card, that it is a 2H bid and what 2H means, is unaffected by the unauthorized information that partner thought you had bid 2S. Partner is allowed to use the information that you opened 2H, but if he thought that 2H showed spades and a minor, he would not be allowed to change his view using the UI.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-September-25, 11:35

View PostVampyr, on 2014-September-25, 09:56, said:

I really have to wonder whether most of the participants in this thread believe what they are posting or are just saying it for effect.

Most often it means you don't understand it... probably a consequence of my not knowing your language.

#18 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-25, 11:51

View Postlamford, on 2014-September-25, 10:46, said:

That law itself. The bid itself is AI. The information from the bidding card, that it is a 2H bid and what 2H means, is unaffected by the unauthorized information that partner thought you had bid 2S. Partner is allowed to use the information that you opened 2H, but if he thought that 2H showed spades and a minor, he would not be allowed to change his view using the UI.

That makes sense, but you seem to have changed your position on whether or not it is affected by UI since the previous post I was responding to. If it's unaffected then of course the player can use it.

My view is that it is affected by UI for the purposes of this law, but I could easily be wrong about that.

#19 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-25, 11:55

Also, I'd be interested to know whether anyone would rule differently depending on whether bidding boxes or spoken bidding were in use.

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-September-25, 14:12

2!-x-2NT!-3; 3-p "review please?" Alerts come with the same explanations as in OP, spoken bidding.

Is the "review please" allowed, because the reason for the request, and therefore the answer given, is "affected by the UI"?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users