Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too Many Points in this Deck

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-23, 21:21

I don't see why 3 should show 18+, especially after such strong bidding from both opps. I also don't see why North thinks his hand is worth 5, even if he thinks I have 18+. -11 IMPs, because only 2 of 8 Souths bid 2, never mind 3. The only saving grace was that the other guy who did so then redoubled at the end :o

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-23, 22:30

What would Pass over 3C have shown? Would you be obliged to double 3C holding Clubs?

For all you know, defending may be the best option, and there is certainly a case for a free bid of 3D to show extras, although perhaps extra shape might be enough. Whether 18 TP is a sensible cut off point to qualify as extras is a valid concern.

Perhaps the opponents showing strength ups the ante for coming in, not because you fear missing game but for safety in contesting the part score.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-24, 08:34

Does Gib ever invite.? It seems there are so many examples where Gib leaps to game or slam on inadequate values.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 09:50

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-September-24, 08:34, said:

Does Gib ever invite.? It seems there are so many examples where Gib leaps to game or slam on inadequate values.

The other question is does GIB ever devalue likely worthless values like King fifth of hearts when LHO has opening in the suit? This doesn't come close to an invitational bid in my valuation system.

#5 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 10:27

My own personal favorite when the robot credits two points for a singleton in South's first-bid suit for the purposes of determining at what level to play a no-trump contract. I was advised that a fix was in the works, but I had the impression that it was instance-specific rather than general.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-24, 10:39

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-September-23, 22:30, said:

What would Pass over 3C have shown? Would you be obliged to double 3C holding Clubs?
Dunno; I just made my bid without checking these, and no one else chose them.

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-September-23, 22:30, said:

For all you know, defending may be the best option, and there is certainly a case for a free bid of 3D to show extras, although perhaps extra shape might be enough. Whether 18 TP is a sensible cut off point to qualify as extras is a valid concern.
I was okay with showing extras, since I have 14/15 after having shown only 9+. I guess programmers made this threshold high (18) since North has not shown anything. (He would bid 2N with x, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users