Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto-reserving seat

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-23, 13:52

I wish raise the problem of a player losing connection with a table, otherwise than in a paid tournament.

The problem being a lack of control over who occupies that seat.

In a paid tournament, the seat is auto-reserved for the player who lost connection.

But in a main/club table that option is not available to table host.

The best that you can achieve is for host to set the flag "permission required to sit". As a workaround this is almost playable, but is less than ideal for several reasons:
1) You might not want to insist on permission in other circumstances
2) As host you may get bombarded with unwanted requests to sit by random humans other than the individual returning from having been booted.
3) As the returning disconnected player, you do not get auto-reseated
4) As the returning disconnected player, you do not even get an invitation to rejoin the table
5) As the returning disconnected player, you can rejoin the table, but depending on the method of joining you may get to see all 4 hands before sitting.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-23, 14:21

Couldn't quite wait a year for a response, huh? B-)
http://www.bridgebas...ve-seat-in-mbc/

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-23, 14:29

Bbradley62, on 2014-September-23, 14:21, said:

Couldn't quite wait a year for a response, huh? B-)
http://www.bridgebas...ve-seat-in-mbc/

Damn! you have a better memory than me.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-24, 09:26

I think the assumption behind the current design is that if you want to play with specific players, you'll reserve their seats when you create the table. If you don't, you're playing with randoms, and when a player leaves (for whatever reason) you're willing to take the next one who comes along.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-24, 09:40

barmar, on 2014-September-24, 09:26, said:

I think the assumption behind the current design is that if you want to play with specific players, you'll reserve their seats when you create the table. If you don't, you're playing with randoms, and when a player leaves (for whatever reason) you're willing to take the next one who comes along.

OK I am being lazy here, as I am at work and cannot instantly check it, but are you saying that if a seat is reserved for a player at the outset, then that reservations "sticks" to the seat if the player subsequently loses connection?

That would be useful to know.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-24, 10:02

1eyedjack, on 2014-September-24, 09:40, said:

OK I am being lazy here, as I am at work and cannot instantly check it, but are you saying that if a seat is reserved for a player at the outset, then that reservations "sticks" to the seat if the player subsequently loses connection?

That would be useful to know.

And, if my table is not initially set up that way, and it happens that I end up with a good foursome that I'd like to keep, can I retroactively reserve their seats to protect against disconnections?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-27, 08:53

1eyedjack, on 2014-September-24, 09:40, said:

Yes. Reserved seats stay reserved until you release them.

Bbradley62, on 2014-September-24, 10:02, said:

And, if my table is not initially set up that way, and it happens that I end up with a good foursome that I'd like to keep, can I retroactively reserve their seats to protect against disconnections?

I think you can do this by clicking on Table to change the settings, but I'm not sure.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users