BBO Discussion Forums: What is your approach? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is your approach?

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-September-22, 09:45

I don't know if there is anything to be learned from this hand. But it did reveal a stark contrast in approach to bidding an unusual hand by two experienced players.

Swiss Teams, 7 board match. IMPs converted to VPs (20 VP scale). No one vul.

At the other table, the South player tried to describe his hand. He bid 3, then spades, and eventually just took a shot at 6.

At my table, my partner just took a shot - 7!

My partner was the winner, as I held:

Kxx
AKxxxxx
----
Kxx

The opening lead was the A (not that he needed the K as a trick). My partner laid down the A and the J fell singleton from the preempter's hand. Claim.

So what would you do?

[By the way, this was a very important result, as my team won the event by 1 VP, and the other team on this hand finished 2nd]

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-22, 09:50

Not 7 for sure, a few too many holes.. so just 6. This sort of hand cannot be bid scientifically anyway.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-22, 10:03

View PostArtK78, on 2014-September-22, 09:45, said:

At the other table, the South player tried to describe his hand.

heheh good luck.

7 is a pretty wild guess, I think I would only try that if I feel strongly that we need a swing. Even finding the K with partner may not be enough. I think I would bid 6 directly - chances of communicating my actual hand to partner starting at the 3 level are remote, and might only help ops by allowing a club raise.

Another question, what would I do if ops bid 7 over that? Egads.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-September-22, 10:04

I bid 3, if partner bids 3 I bid 3, if partner bids 4 I bid 5N GSF, when he shows the K I bid 7.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-22, 10:16

7d is ok. After a lightner double I expect a heart lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-22, 14:22

I don't know why anyone would just blast. It is almost impossible to construct a hand on which concealment is the key to success, and relatively easy to find hands on which science makes the bidding relatively easy, plus if all else fails, we can end up blasting anyway.

So 3 for now.

This is a freak hand (duh) so it isn't even inconceivable that partner will bid 3! Imagine how easy the auction is then.

However he'll probably bid either of 3 or 3N.

If 3N, then we have a problem in that we have identified club wastage and we now have a lot of spades to get rid off, plus while one can argue that 4 is forcing (I think it is, fwiw, with 5=6 and not enough to bid this way forcing, bid spades first, since 4 over 3N is forcing for sure), partner with Kxx KQxxx xx KQx may think otherwise.

Over 3 it is trivial to bid 3...again, what is the worst that can happen?

My approach would be no surprise to any of my partners or frequent opps....or readers here. Whenever possible, whenever doing so creates little risk, I always try to involve partner in the auction. Imagine bidding 7 and finding a normal dummy of xxx AKJxx xx KQx. Do we like our chances? we'd be lucky, on the usual club lead, to get out for -1, and -2 is far more likely. Not that we are ever stopping short of slam, but this shows why blasting is just giving up on bidding intelligently.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-22, 14:23

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-22, 10:16, said:

7d is ok. After a lightner double I expect a heart lead.

So would rho, since that is what double means. Thus why would East, with a spade void, double?
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-September-22, 23:43

I think 7D is a mistake, your not even sure to have an entry into opener hand. Im not saying that its going to be easy after 3D but at least you will be in a better position.

Maybe its logical that a direct 6C implies that you dont have 2H.

ex
3D-3NT
4D-4NT (neg)
6C
since youve allowed partner to cuebid 4H you should have 2H+solid D.

vs

3D-3NT
6C

Here partner should understand that Ah,Ks are the winning cards.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-September-23, 02:14

View Postmikeh, on 2014-September-22, 14:22, said:

I don't know why anyone would just blast.

Well, I can give you two reasons for blasting. One is that opps will have less info to find a (good) sac. The other is I don't see how to discover if pard has the K.

Maybe you're right and 3 is better. Just that every time I get a hand like this (I've had a few, not many obviously doh!) blasting seems to work better.

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-September-23, 04:35

7 is the value bid.

The question is can we do better with a probing auction - staying out of 7 when it is hopeless and getting to 7 when it is better?

I think we can so I start with 3 but I am bidding at least 7 unless I hear some bad news on the way.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-September-23, 05:05

3D. 7D is for nutters. I will also try to describe my hand. Is this the same pd that bid 6 against Justin?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-23, 05:15

Describing this hand is nuts, blasting is also pretty hopeless what you gotta do is explore what partner has before comminting, Cyberyeti has shown an easy example with GSF.

If we 7 spades and 5 diamonds it might be better to start with 3 to explore diamond fit right away, but with the good suit being the lowest partner might rectify to 7 which would suck.

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-September-23, 09:13

View Postthe hog, on 2014-September-23, 05:05, said:

3D. 7D is for nutters. I will also try to describe my hand. Is this the same pd that bid 6 against Justin?

Obviously not. Far too many diamonds.

[By the way, I have played with that person as a partner (about 25 years ago) and, more recently, as a teammate (still about 10 years ago). I will not make that mistake again.]

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2014-September-23, 09:27

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-September-23, 02:14, said:

Well, I can give you two reasons for blasting. One is that opps will have less info to find a (good) sac. The other is I don't see how to discover if pard has the K.

Maybe you're right and 3 is better. Just that every time I get a hand like this (I've had a few, not many obviously doh!) blasting seems to work better.

Your level of expertise is showing through

Partner opened 1. We hold spades and diamonds. If we can make 7, and the odds are that we can, then precisely which 7-level sac worries you?

As for finding out the spade K.....lol......you have no idea how partner might be able to show that card (or imply it) if we bid diamonds and spades...no idea at all? I'm not claiming that I or my partners would always be able to tell about that card, but I am certain that there are auctions that begin with 3 where we might, and no auctions that begin, from the OP point, with 7 (or 6) where we can.

However, I won't argue that for you blasting is better than cooperative bidding....that sounds right to me :D

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-September-23, 10:42

Well, forget it.

#16 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 10:46

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-September-23, 10:42, said:

Well, forget it.

Shouldn't this sort of comment be accompanied by an invitation to other forum members to take legal action? :)

Actually, I can think of another possible reason for blasting besides those you gave - it sidesteps the inevitable argument with partner about whose judgment was at fault when you try to explore the hand and still end up in the wrong spot...

#17 User is offline   bruceboje 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-24, 11:08

It's nice when a shot in the dark bid works. It's very unlikely that 7D will make if partner doesn't have the spade king. Even if partner has king, there are quite a few hands that won't make 7D. The 7D bid is betting on partner holding the spade king. What are the odds?

I'm not too worried about saves after partner opens 1 heart.

I bid 6 diamonds.

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-25, 16:03

Trying to put this in perspective after listening to the bidding and assuming
your system was so good your partner could describe their hand to perfection so
the dummy was no surprise would you still wish to be in 7d? Listening to the
bidding it would not shock me one bit if both pointed suits broke badly.

There is no reason to completely give up on a spade contract and even if I were in
the mood to bid 7d I would still give p the chance to bid 3s over my

3d

bid. I would not start with spades but only play spades if a nine card fit existed.
I am quite surprised the other pair managed to play in diamonds despite knowing about
the 8+ card spade fit I am pretty certain I would have at least converted 6d to 6s
(leading to 7s perhaps?) but cannot comment further w/o hearing the bidding. I think 7d
was an educated guess but one that should not have been made when so many avenues of
exploration were possible and 7d can always be bid later if the search for more information
appears fruitless. I would rate a 7d bid as 6 or 7 (hardly horrific and there may have been
SOTM considerations not mentioned making it a somewhat better--or worse bid) with 3d closer
to 10.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users