• You cannot reply to this topic

Response to overcall few options with good hands and no fit

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-20, 12:50

LHO opens 1 and partne overcalls 1.

Now 2 shows spade support and 2 is 9-13 NF. 3 is 14+ with "twice rebidable hearts".

With my K-AQxxx-KQxx-Axx I had to chose one of those options. I would like to have either a forcing 2 bid or a nebolous 2 bid available.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-21, 01:47

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-20, 12:50, said:

LHO opens 1 and partne overcalls 1.

Now 2 shows spade support and 2 is 9-13 NF. 3 is 14+ with "twice rebidable hearts".

With my K-AQxxx-KQxx-Axx I had to chose one of those options. I would like to have either a forcing 2 bid or a nebolous 2 bid available.

I hesitate to suggest piling conventional bidding onto GIB, and I don't expect this to be well received by my peers or by GIB developers, but given the choice I would play transfer advances to overcall from the cue bid of opponent's suit up to the suit below overcaller's. 2D on this hand would show 5+ Hearts with no upper limit.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 18:46

We'd all like to have those options available with a hand like this! GIB's methods in this case are completely standard though. I don't ever recall facing this problem at the table, but if I did I suppose I would bid 3NT.

I have never tried transfer advances to overcalls but I would consider doing so.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-24, 19:40

With most partners I play a new suit as forcing by an unpassed hand. Not for sure a big hand. Could be a lesser hand with tolerance for overcaller's suit.

How bout 3 hopefully that's strong not weak!?

Transfer advances are nice, have almost no down-side other than that the general population doesn't play them, so you'll never get it into Gib :(

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-25, 02:48

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-September-24, 19:40, said:

How bout 3 hopefully that's strong not weak!?

That's what I did but as I said it shows twice rebiddable hearts. GIB raised with six good spades and a small doubleton hearts. So it didn't work.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users