Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Six Hearts says the Baron

#1 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-19, 08:20

The above hand was played by my great grandfather, Baron Wynsten von Munchausen. The six heart bid was an example of the von Munchausen convention showing at least 28 HCP. The Baron used this convention on many occasions. West's double was lead directing, indicating a lead of dummy's first bid suit. Dummy had not bid a suit, but West was on lead anyway so it made no difference, he explained later. The Baron re-doubled because he had extra values (29 HCP). He always had extra values, and always re-doubled. West led the four of hearts.

Von Munchausen had a nearly super-human table presence and played each hand as if he could see through the backs of the cards, or perhaps, as if the backs of the cards had special markings that allowed him to do so. In any case, how did he make six hearts re-doubled?

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-19, 09:17

Cute I suppose, if constructions amuse you.

Also, this sounds like previously published material, in which case you should cite the author and work.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 10:35

Agree it has probably been published before, but it is a cute hand (answers in spoilers)

Spoiler

Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 10:59

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-September-19, 10:35, said:

Agree it has probably been published before, but it is a cute hand (answers in spoilers)

Actually I was dealt the South hand in a recent duplicate game at my club. The spades, hearts and clubs are exactly as shown. The diamonds contained a squeeze position, but not a mirror of the spades. That I added.
I played in 6NT (not 6 Hearts of course) and made when spades split 3-3. Looking at the hand record distributed at the end of the evening I was surprised to see that as well as 6NT one could make 6 spades, 6 clubs and 6 hearts!

By the way, in your spoiler, which is quite correct, after the under-ruff, and trumps are drawn, no need for endplays - just concede a spade.

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 12:10

View Postwynsten, on 2014-September-19, 10:59, said:

By the way, in your spoiler, which is quite correct, after the under-ruff, and trumps are drawn, no need for endplays - just concede a spade.

Quite, missed the fact I had a discard on the third trump. Just conceding a spade is boring though :P
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 16:17

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-September-19, 12:10, said:

Just conceding a spade is boring though :P

Yes - and we have to keep <enigmatic> amused.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users