• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Web Mitchell

#1 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-19, 06:47

Hi,

I'm looking into pairs movements with larger numbers of boards than normally played in a duplicate. Can anyone point me in the direction of (or tell me) how many tables you'd need for a web mitchell to work with 30-33 boards. Specifically in cases of 18-20 tables if yoou can't play a web is there a good movement that minimises the number of boards in play (especially in the case of 20 tables, where if you can't play a web, i'd imagine you'd need about 42 baords for a standard skip mitchell playing 16 rounds).

Many thanks

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-September-19, 07:11

Lanor Fow, on 2014-September-19, 06:47, said:

Hi,

I'm looking into pairs movements with larger numbers of boards than normally played in a duplicate. Can anyone point me in the direction of (or tell me) how many tables you'd need for a web mitchell to work with 30-33 boards. Specifically in cases of 18-20 tables if yoou can't play a web is there a good movement that minimises the number of boards in play (especially in the case of 20 tables, where if you can't play a web, i'd imagine you'd need about 42 baords for a standard skip mitchell playing 16 rounds).

Many thanks

The critical numbers are the number of board sets and the number of tables. If the number of board sets is odd and less than the number of tables then you can play a web mitchell. If the number of boards sets and the number of tables is even then you can play a skip web mitchell.

Playing two-board rounds you could have 30 boards (15 board sets) and anything more than 15 tables but you will need three sets of boards for odd numbers of tables (up to 31) to avoid sharing.

Playing three-board rounds you have 33 boards (11 board sets) and anything more than 11 tables and you will need three sets of boards for odd number of tables up to 23 (and even more sets of board for more tables).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 09:28

my textbook when it comes to web movements, theory and practise: Tim Hill on Web movements (warning: zip file). I don't think his predefined runs go to 30/33, but the theory (after seeing a few examples, anyway) is easily understood and the movement can be generated. Robin has the table count right, of course.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 18:28

There are web movements for an odd number of tables and even number of board sets but they are hard to manage and need to be constructed ad hoc - essentially you first find a bump sequence that works for adding a roving NS pair, and then add an appendix table with stationary EW where the bumped pair goes to play, relaying boards with the table they just got booted from. The comment made by local director Michael Carroad in his notes on web movements, referring to the odd-table 24-board movements, is "The only time these movements should be used are for events meriting technical superiority such as the finals of the Blue Ribbon Pairs or the WBL Unit Game." :-)

I have a fairly complete set of 24-board appendix webs, and bump web movements for accommodating late arrivals, in ACBLscore's EDMOV format, if anyone would like them.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-September-19, 19:34

McBruce is the master of web movements here in Vancouver, I'll send him a link.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-20, 00:36

Robin's summary is correct, but note that sharing with three board rounds is no great hardship, so you wouldn't really need a third set in those cases, especially since they only share for a few rounds. I have utilities to make Web Mitchell movements in Scorebridge or Jeff Smith format, with rovers if necessary. If you email me I'll send you them.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-21, 03:29

jillybean, on 2014-September-19, 19:34, said:

McBruce is the master of web movements here in Vancouver, I'll send him a link.

No need, the question is already answered by the real masters... :)
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users