• You cannot reply to this topic

Bass Ackwards

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-18, 18:57

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

So, if I rebid 2NT, North will bid 3s and, when I admit to having 2s (which my 2NT bid already promised), North will look at his Qxxxx and decide that this is the hand on which to play game in a 5-2 fit. But (as happened in other auctions) if I bid 3, potentially showing an unbalanced hand and saying nothing about s, North will look at his 4s, singleton and single stopper in s and decide that this hand should be played in 3NT.

Isn't this the opposite of how it should work? The last time a human partner and I had an auction that started this way, he was 6-4 in s and with a very good hand and we reached a sound slam. The North-South display hands (assuming North had something more than a singleton in partner's first-bid suit to get to 13 total points) we would always bid 1-2; 2NT-3NT.

And if I were forced to bid 2 in response to 1 with North's actual hand, and partner rebid 2NT (11-14, 2s), I would pass, game force notwithstanding, and hope that partner could hold down the carnage. I suppose the robot can't possibly do that, but it should at least be able to deduce that there is no future in s (or s for that matter) once partner rebids 2NT, and raise 2NT to 3NT.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-18, 19:32

What I'd like to know is: What does GIB think the difference is between 3 and 3N over 3, since the descriptions appear to be identical.
There should also be an upper limit on 4 in your auction.

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 11:50

I agree the N hand is too light for a GF 2H response. A reasonable auction given the system would be 1S-1N-2D-2NT all pass. Given the 2/1 response, 2NT is forced since 3D shows extras. The question of what to do next after responder's 3D is a good bidding problem. I think I would agree with you and choose 3H rather than 3NT or 4D.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-19, 13:44

View Postiandayre, on 2014-September-19, 11:50, said:

Given the 2/1 response, 2NT is forced since 3D shows extras.

Based on experience, 1S-2H-2S does not promise a 6th Spade in GIBberish. This leaves open both 2S and 2N rebids without promising extras. I can't say that I fully understand the distinction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-19, 14:59

1-2-3m shows extras, so 2 rebid can (should) be done with an unbalanced minimum, whereas 2N is balanced.

#6 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 16:25

In some styles 2nt promises a stopper in both unbid suits, so 2 sometimes also includes some balanced minimums lacking a stopper in one or both unbid suits.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users