BBO Discussion Forums: This Would Make Timothy Leary of Robots - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This Would Make Timothy Leary of Robots

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-17, 18:10

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

Playing weak jump overcalls and two-suited cue bids, the process of describing a one-suited hand too good for an overcall begins with a take-out double. In a recent posting, Georgi referred to "...the doubler...who has one suiter 17+HCP." IMO, the South display hand meets that standard. If you disagree, for the sake of this discussion, please improve the hand as necessary to meet your definition. And while you're at it, swap your and holdings.

So, you make a take-out double and then begins what I can only liken to the LSD sequence in season 1 of "Ray Donovan." When the bidding comes back around to you at the 3 level, your planned bid shows only "biddable" (which, if I read the GIB Bid Description correctly, can be 4 cards headed by the A or K) and promises 4+ s. Then, when partner persists with 4, your 4 bid is not the rebid of your suit, but a cue bid in support of . RCKB follows, and you're in 6 holding, you'll remember, the singleton K in that suit.

Unless I've missed something, this needs to be corrected so that South can bid (and rebid) its long suit.

And as the icing on the psychedelic cake, there is East's play to trick 6.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-17, 18:19

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-17, 18:10, said:

How does this hurt? Just to see if South has miscounted the suit...

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-17, 22:43

This point has been made repeatedly.

Please keep posting examples. Eventually one may get noticed.

In the meantime I will continue to make simple overcalls with no upper limit in the hope that the auction does not die there (so far so good). So I shall not be posting more examples, as I will never have doubled initially.

Incidentally I am not sure that this hand qualifies as a double even in my F2F partnerships. Borderline, perhaps, but North has no excuse.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 00:13

You need to check the bid descriptions before making a bid. The description for 4 should scare the pants off you. And your response to 4NT showed the wrong number of key cards since clubs was the presumed trump suit. On this hand, it didn't make any difference since you can't stop in 5, but you might have ended up in 7 on with a different North hand missing a key card.

I'm with 1eyedjack about just making a simple overcall. Until I hear that GIB doesn't go off the rails after an off shape takeout double, I'm not willing to risk doubling and reaching a hopeless contract.

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 02:31

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-17, 18:10, said:

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

Playing weak jump overcalls and two-suited cue bids, the process of describing a one-suited hand too good for an overcall begins with a take-out double. In a recent posting, Georgi referred to "...the doubler...who has one suiter 17+HCP." IMO, the South display hand meets that standard. If you disagree, for the sake of this discussion, please improve the hand as necessary to meet your definition. And while you're at it, swap your and holdings.

So, you make a take-out double and then begins what I can only liken to the LSD sequence in season 1 of "Ray Donovan." When the bidding comes back around to you at the 3 level, your planned bid shows only "biddable" (which, if I read the GIB Bid Description correctly, can be 4 cards headed by the A or K) and promises 4+ s. Then, when partner persists with 4, your 4 bid is not the rebid of your suit, but a cue bid in support of . RCKB follows, and you're in 6 holding, you'll remember, the singleton K in that suit.

Unless I've missed something, this needs to be corrected so that South can bid (and rebid) its long suit.

The double is the bad bid- the hand is not that great- 14 working HCP. 1 is the correct bid- then you have less chance of craziness.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-18, 03:33

View Postcloa513, on 2014-September-18, 02:31, said:

The double is the bad bid- the hand is not that great- 14 working HCP. 1 is the correct bid- then you have less chance of craziness.

That does not make North's bidding "good".
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 10:17

For the record, the display does not show my bidding or play. I selected this example to include East jettisoning the Q at trick 6, a bug that crops up frequently and needs to be addressed.

While you may disagree with the choice of double with this particular hand, single-suited hands even larger than this do occur. The question is: do we acquiesce and overcall, no matter how large the hand, to avoid "craziness" or do we ask for improvement? That's why I asked that you think of a hypothetical one-suited hand that would meet your standard for a take-out double. Unfortunately, when you double 1 or even when you bid 3 in the second round you cannot see what that your third-round 4 bid will mean; and then, with your hypothetical big hand with the stiff K you'll have to figure out what to do when 4 comes back around to you and every bid shows a fit. And yes, it's enough to scare your (hypothetical) pants off.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-18, 11:57

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-18, 10:17, said:

For the record, the display does not show my bidding or play. I selected this example to include East jettisoning the Q at trick 6, a bug that crops up frequently and needs to be addressed.

Perhaps you had not noticed, but at the time that East played Spade Q, its only Spades (Q9) were equal cards. Perhaps if North had played low on the second round, so would have East.

#9 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 12:07

Thanks, I'll check my examples more carefully.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users