Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tighten up descriptions Bidding in competition

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-17, 00:25

My 3 should be 16-18 points, not just 18. I don't want to be there, best defense sets me one trick.

To go above 3 of the suit, it should always have reversible values, whether it be HCP or dist. points. GIB has neither here, and I can crack it for +500 if it just passes like it should.

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-17, 00:34

deleted
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 00:36

View Postchasetb, on 2014-September-17, 00:25, said:

To go above 3 of the suit, it should always have reversible values, whether it be HCP or dist. points. GIB has neither here, and I can crack it for +500 if it just passes like it should.

You assume it would pass your double. In my experience one of the worst things about GIB's bidding is its interpretation of clear penalty doubles as an invitation to make an inexplicable, wild bid.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 01:09

On the first hand, I would not have bid 3S with South. North had an opportunity to show a sound raise to 2S via a cue bid of the opponent's suit, and elected not to do so. I am not saying that 4S is never going to be a good spot, only that 3S is going to be a bad spot too often to cater for it. Just my opinion. This may explain GIB's requirement for 18 TP to bid 3S.

On the second hand North has a clear pass of 3H, but interestingly I think that you can make 6D due to a bit of luck. I don't think that I agree that North requires reversing values to move over 3H, given that South has already shown a solid game try. But it should have something more than a bare minimum. And just maybe you should have stumbled into 5D, grateful for the overtrick. Still a loss against 500 at MP, hardly noticeable at IMP. But either way I would in practice expect a positive IMP score and above average % at MP for making 5D.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-17, 02:30

bd 2 - im not convinced that 5 is the spot. Switch K and Q and its in trouble (adjust hearts to make pts right but there was some overbidding there)

With minimum hands should pass 3, give p a chance to penalize. Would Gib sit for it though. The only reason Gib has an above min hand and took a bid is the singleton and this could mean p has . Why not pass and see?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-17, 04:02

Agreed that pass of 3H by North is obv.

Note that 5D makes despite the failing trump finesse, so swapping SK and CQ is not the only change possible.

Agreed that 5D is borderline. You have nice breaks in the minors, for one thing. Not as borderline as 3N, of course, which has just about no chance.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-17, 10:13

View Postchasetb, on 2014-September-17, 00:25, said:

I also think that 2 should deny four spades; with both 4 spades and diamond support you would look for a spade fit first, then support diamonds later. If North thinks South has denied 4 spades, he wouldn't go looking for a spade fit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users