• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

your bid

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-17, 14:18

Whether this hand bids 3 or not is a matter of agreement. I am used to lighter style 3m bids, for example Ax Ax xx KQJTxxx is a 3 bid for me.

I remember me and Tez used to play

1--1
2(either real heart reverse or club hands stronger than direct 3)

over this responder asks via 2

3 = better than direct 3
Rest= reverse hands and whatever you want it to show besides +
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-17, 14:43

No method deals well with all hands. Opener will hold a 6331 16 count far more often than a 7321 hand. Make opener Ax Ax Kxx KQJ10xx, which is in some ways a better hand than he had (picture you with a stiff club x), and you don't want to be in slam, especially after an auction that pinpoints the heart lead.

While it is good practice to rethink hands where your partnership got to a suboptimal spot, that doesn't mean doing mental contortions to create an auction that would invariably get you to the optimal spot.

Here, at mps, 3N would likely have got you a good result...average at least. Even in the Blue Ribbon pairs I would expect most non-big club bidders to have problems reaching slam.

BTW, Timo's notion of using a gadget makes a lot of sense, but of course one needs to have discussed it beforehand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#23 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-September-18, 04:19

Well, now I see another unexpected benefit from Walsh. Not bidding 1D preserves Opener's option for a more convenient fake 2D reverse. Not that this deal proves that point, but 3C is a wide call. Enabling the 2D reverse allows 3C to be better defined.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#24 User is offline   bdegrande 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-18, 04:57

North has a monster hand - lots of controls and point count undervalues aces and kings, and a seventh club. I think it's even too good for 3, but that bullet has been dodged. Once South cooperates enough to bid a game, North should bid (not invite) a slam. At IMPs I think 6 is an easy bid. At matchpoints, you would have to at least consider 6NT.

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 05:07

View Postjillybean, on 2014-September-17, 14:02, said:

Here's the full hand. Partner is showing 16-17, 7 clubs for his bid

If 3 shows 7, what would North have bid if we make one of the small clubs a small spade?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-18, 21:38

View Postjillybean, on 2014-September-16, 23:53, said:

Matchpoints

3NT

#27 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-September-18, 21:41

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-18, 05:07, said:

If 3 shows 7, what would North have bid if we make one of the small clubs a small spade?

oops 7 is what he had, he can have 6
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#28 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-18, 21:53

JB you had a tough rebid.

As often, very often in the forums and in real life a jump rebid of a minor is a very large range.

If responder starts with 1h ...opener might rebid 2nt and end up in 3nt making 6 or more.

I can see missing slam often at MP.

#29 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-September-18, 21:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-September-17, 14:18, said:

When you raise 4 to 5, partner might as well raise to 6, you're probably not getting a vast amount of MPs for 5=, it could be wrong, but I suspect the number of times you were making 5= and getting any kind of score is exceeded by the number of times 6 makes, partner only needs you to hold the pointy suit Ks, one of the Qs and Jx in the probable knowledge that you don't have a heart stop of your own.

Kathryn....you like systems etc. Cyberyeti is correct here and the least you must be able to do is either to key card with 4 or have a way to invite slam.

#30 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2014-September-19, 11:03

View Postmikeh, on 2014-September-17, 09:47, said:

By the way, JB: I really think that the 1 response was a poor choice, even if you don't like the walsh-style. The problem arises when LHO bids spades. 1 ought not to be a problem, but as soon as LHO bids 2 or 3, you run the risk of losing the heart suit. Assume partner passes: you can hardly afford to reopen with a reverse in hearts on Jxxx Axxx in the suits, and while you can always double, both partners are going to have difficulty getting to hearts.

when holding 4 diamonds and a 4 card major, I believe very strongly that one should respond the major. When the suits are the reds, I think it to be a very bad move, indeed, to bid diamonds first. At least if our major is spades there is less chance of the auction going badly for us after 1.

Put it another way: when was the last time that your side belonged in diamonds when you hold Axxx and partner opened 1? Compare that vanishingly low number to the times you belonged in a major and you held 4 cards in that major when partner opened 1.

Don't you have to be careful that partner doesn't take you for 5-4 and sets them as trumps with something like Kxx if you bid Hearts first or am I missing something? I suppose it comes down to agreements?

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-19, 14:33

View PostSimonFa, on 2014-September-19, 11:03, said:

Don't you have to be careful that partner doesn't take you for 5-4 and sets them as trumps with something like Kxx if you bid Hearts first or am I missing something? I suppose it comes down to agreements?

Why would you ever introduce diamonds as a possible trump suit, having responded 1? Unless partner reverses into diamonds, they are never going to be trump. if you do bid them later, it is not going to be to show length.

For example, had you bid 1 and seen partner bid 3, you might, if you wanted to stall below 3N, bid 3 but no experienced player would ever take that as showing length or doing anything other than stalling. Which is, in fact, a feature not a bug.

I don't often agree with Ken Rexford, but he was spot-on in his post to the effect that a side-effect of responding 1 on this type of hand is that it enables partner, with a monster too good for 3 and wrong for other strong bids, to fake a reverse. The only point I would have made, were I responding directly to Ken, is that some of us have known of this feature for a very long time. It isn't 'why' we play the style, but it is a happy by-product of the style.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#32 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2014-September-20, 02:44

View Postmikeh, on 2014-September-19, 14:33, said:

Why would you ever introduce diamonds as a possible trump suit, having responded 1? Unless partner reverses into diamonds, they are never going to be trump. if you do bid them later, it is not going to be to show length.

I wasn't thinking about setting Diamonds as trumps, I was trying to explore something you or someone else had as signature, the importance of showing shape.

#33 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-September-20, 04:00

Actually, Mike, you and I agree about much more than you think. I just usually don't add my 2 cents unless the discussion evokes more fringe issues, where I tend to some theory extreme.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users