• You cannot reply to this topic

GIB passes unlimted bid ...

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-16, 06:21

http://tinyurl.com/mekcptx

This is a recurrent theme. I make a call which is explained as "rebiddable clubs, 4+ diamonds". Says nothing about limitation of strength so I have no reason to suspect it can be passed. The fact that it should be forcing according to common sense isn't the point - the point is that the explanation suggests it is forcing.

This problem comes up in so many difference situations that it probably will be futile to try to patch the specific cases one by one. Would it be possible to give every call an explicit HCP range - if nothing else, set it to 0-37? And then make it a rule never to pass a call that doesn't deny a combined (say) 29 HCPs?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-16, 06:50

I feel compelled to mention that I am not that keen on the choice of 2C opener either, which perhaps is not entirely unrelated to North's subsequent dilemma.

But perhaps it is within GIB tolerance.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-16, 11:06

Another inexcusable GIB blunder. There are certainly valid arguments against opening 2C, but I would have done so. A zero count with 5 Spades will most likely make a game.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-16, 13:52

I didn't have much difficulty constructing a hand in which game could be made when responder would pass 1-suit, at the time of expressing a distaste for 2C. So pointing out that such a hand exists does nothing to dissuade me from my earlier preference. That is just one of a host of possible outcomes, which also relies on some co-operation from opponents.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-16, 22:33

It's cut off my screen, but it looks like Redouble sets up a force to 2N. So that's why it got passed below game.

1-X-XX sets up a force to 2N. Which is fine cause you still have room to investigate and you've shown a suit. Using this method is silly over an artificial 2 where there is no room to investigate game and you don't know a suit of opener's. It should be a game force, without a game force pass, nobody is forcing you to bid with a nothing hand see what the bid hand can say.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 07:10

Normally GIB has a "cheaper minor" trash bid allowing it to sign off in a partscore. That could be 3 in this auction I suppose. But absent a "cheaper minor" gadget I think we should just forget about stopping in a partscore. We haven't found a fit yet, we have at least close to GF strength, and both partners are unlimmited.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-17, 09:53

Not related to the final pass, but shouldn't North's 2 show 5+? With no 5-card suit, North can rebid NT or leave in 2xx, depending on specifics.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users