Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deductions of hand shape

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-15, 13:21

MP, best hand South, Instant, Pro GIB v 30.

The system opening bid with 4-4 in the minors is 1D

In that context, 3D by North seems wrong to me.

GIB is not slow to believe opponents' bidding. They have bid and supported Spades, and North has two of them. It seems rather unlikely that South has 4-3-3-3 shape with 4 Spades, being the only shape where the combined trump length in Diamonds will be more than in Clubs.

On the other hand, South could well make a support double of 1S with 3 Hearts and 5 Clubs. Sure, in that case he may (but may not) have 4 Diamonds. But if he has 4 Diamonds he will have 5 Clubs, and if he has 5 Clubs he need not have 4 Diamonds.

Furthermore, North knows that we have only a 7 card fit in Hearts. The double of 1S I understand shows 3 Hearts +/- zero.

Playing with a human partner I would double 2S for takeout with North, but perhaps GIB plays it as business.

2N may be a risk too far. But if not passing, doubling or 2N I far prefer 3C by North over 3D.

Not that it would help us a lot on this hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-15, 16:24

I don't know what the best solution here is, but... It appears that North is taking action over 2N to indicate that he is a maximum passed hand and that your side might still be interested in bidding game. 3 would probably both overstate his club length and understate his strength. You know he only has 4 diamonds, because with 5-4 reds he would have bid 1 over 1. You're probably right that double is the best action, if it's not penalty. But then are you giving up the ability to punish opps?

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-15, 19:00

I correctly guessed that North had to be precisely 4-4 in the reds, despite the explanation "4+ hearts" and "biddable D". As you say, with a 5th D he would have responded 1D rather than 1H. But with a 5th Heart and knowledge of 3 support opposite he would have bid 3H rather than 3D. My knowing what North holds is scant comfort if that knowledge simply confirms that we are already too high in a misfit.

It is hard to evaluate Qx of Spades. If you believe the opponents (as is GIB's penchant) it is probably waste paper. But then GIB is not good and distinguishing working values from wastage.

In a human game I might sniff out the possibility of being talked out of 3N and gamble on a risky 2N, but I certainly don't insist on it, especially from GIB. On this hand 3N has some slight prospects, but only if played by North,

Much depends on (1) the GIB meaning for X and (2) what action GIB would take with xx of Spades, otherwise same hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users