#1 User is online   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-September-14, 14:27

needless to say I made the wrong desicion

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-14, 14:32

obv 6 wtp

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 17:19

The "p" may be that pard shows up with AQx xxx AQxx Jxx and you're instantly off. (Or on the flip side, Axx AKx QJxx Jxx and you miss grand?!)

I would go slower with 4C, eyes definitely on slam but looking for that H control.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 18:59

I considered 5 (EKCB for clubs) but I think it's a bit too unilateral, and besides I don't play it with anybody. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 01:21

In the Netherlands everybody bids 5h with this hand :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 14:25

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-September-14, 14:32, said:

obv 6 wtp

Obviously if 6 was the winning bid it would not make it to forums Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-15, 14:37

You can't pass. On any line where 3N was cold, either 5 or 4N (or both, of course) are 99.9% to be cold, and meanwhile a hand such as Axx AJx KQxx xxx makes 6 or 6N very good, and AQx Axx KQxx xxx 6 is virtually cold.

You can't bid 6 because a hand such as AQx Jxx AQxx Jxx makes slam down off the top.

So take your time. Bid 4.

It is or should be a basic tenet of bridge theory that one NEVER runs from a voluntarily bid game, unless one is doubled, so bidding 4 is not running 'from' 3N, it is a try for a higher level contract and is forcing.

This doesn't answer the hand completely. For example, over 4 we still are not cold for slam but I would risk it. Over 4, this actually isn't good news in and of itself, so I would, with a partner I can trust, bid 4N, as an offer to play. Partner is allowed to bid on, given that I have made a slam try already. He can figure out I have no major aces by my failure to cue.

If I don't trust partner to understand 4N as regressive, then I would bid 5 over 4...again not a total signoff, having announced mild slam interest already.

Over 4 by partner, which would be very surprising, I would do the 4N/5 call depending on my view of partner.

In the I/A forum, I'd suggest 5 in those scenarios, reserving 4N for the post-mortem.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 15:05

View Postmikeh, on 2014-September-15, 14:37, said:

You can't pass. On any line where 3N was cold, either 5 or 4N (or both, of course) are 99.9% to be cold, and meanwhile a hand such as Axx AJx KQxx xxx makes 6 or 6N very good, and AQx Axx KQxx xxx 6 is virtually cold.

You can't bid 6 because a hand such as AQx Jxx AQxx Jxx makes slam down off the top.

So take your time. Bid 4.

It is or should be a basic tenet of bridge theory that one NEVER runs from a voluntarily bid game, unless one is doubled, so bidding 4 is not running 'from' 3N, it is a try for a higher level contract and is forcing.

This doesn't answer the hand completely. For example, over 4 we still are not cold for slam but I would risk it. Over 4, this actually isn't good news in and of itself, so I would, with a partner I can trust, bid 4N, as an offer to play. Partner is allowed to bid on, given that I have made a slam try already. He can figure out I have no major aces by my failure to cue.

If I don't trust partner to understand 4N as regressive, then I would bid 5 over 4...again not a total signoff, having announced mild slam interest already.

Over 4 by partner, which would be very surprising, I would do the 4N/5 call depending on my view of partner.

In the I/A forum, I'd suggest 5 in those scenarios, reserving 4N for the post-mortem.

Mike, what do you think of 4 instead of 4? To tell pd that we do not really need any help in clubs but seeking for other stuff?
IMHO there needs to be difference between this type of hand and another, both of which are slam going, but one of them is something like AKxxxx AQTxxx AJTxxxx and other one is something similar to the one we hold in OP.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-15, 15:50

View PostMrAce, on 2014-September-15, 15:05, said:

Mike, what do you think of 4 instead of 4? To tell pd that we do not really need any help in clubs but seeking for other stuff?
IMHO there needs to be difference between this type of hand and another, both of which are slam going, but one of them is something like AKxxxx AQTxxx AJTxxxx and other one is something similar to the one we hold in OP.

To me, and this may be idiosyncratic, I like to think that 4 shows a hand that wants more hand help/evaluation from partner than does 4. IOW, 4 sounds to me like a very strong slam move, while 4 is merely some slam interest.

I confess, I don't recall ever discussing this nuance with anyone. I don't think it matters 'why' one hand is strong slamming and the other less so...IOW, it's not about specific suits, it's more about the way the hand feels. I'd see AJx Kxx void AQJxxxx as about the same hand. I will regress over a diamond cue so as to announce slam interest, not slam force. Were I to bid 4, and partner to bid 4, on the actual hand I would be guessing whether to show my spade control or to make a regressive move.

AJx Kxx void AKQxxxx is a 4 call to me. On that hand, I am forcing to slam and would readily cue 4 over 4.

Don't know if that makes a lot of sense, and I can see other uses for the two calls.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 16:41

It's a pretty close decision whether to go for science or subterfuge.

But if you are going to punt slam, it is mandatory to bid FIVE HEARTS.

I would go for science, since we might well not make slam even if we stop the lead.

#11 User is online   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-September-18, 14:31

thanks folks i just blasted 6C - 1

a bit unlucky maybe

both other tables in 3N

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users