• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Energiewende

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-14, 10:20

From Sun and wind alter global landscape, leaving utilities behind:

Of all the developed nations, few have pushed harder than Germany to find a solution to global warming.

The word the Germans use for their plan is starting to make its way into conversations elsewhere: energiewende, the energy transition. Worldwide, Germany is being held up as a model, cited by environmental activists as proof that a transformation of the global energy system is possible.

“It’s pretty amazing what’s happening, really,” said Gerard Reid, an Irish financier working in Berlin on German energy projects. “The Germans call it a transformation, but to me it’s a revolution.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 12:52

An extraordinary article with plenty of material to think about. I really like this and I will pass it around to interested others.
Ken

#3 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 16:03

y66, on 2014-September-14, 10:20, said:

"It's pretty amazing what's happening, really," said Gerard Reid, an Irish financier working in Berlin on German energy projects. "The Germans call it a transformation, but to me it's a revolution."

The common german customer like me, does not think so. The prices for energy exploded, especially in last 2 years. I suppose, if the common citizien in the USA would get the same bills for energy like we here, he would burn Washington down for such a Energiewende.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-15, 07:41

Aberlour10, on 2014-September-14, 16:03, said:

The common german customer like me, does not think so. The prices for energy exploded, especially in last 2 years. I suppose, if the common citizien in the USA would get the same bills for energy like we here, he would burn Washington down for such a Energiewende.

It is true that my skepticism meter clanged a bit when I read

"It's so simple when we tell a customer, 'You're guaranteed to save money,' " said David J. Kaiserman, president of Lennar Ventures, the division overseeing the solar plan.

Nonetheless, I was largely unaware of all of this and it looks to me like being unaware is a mistake. I hope for the best for it, and I think we could pay some serious attention. I make no assertion that Germany is doing it right or that Germany is doing it wrong, but it does appear that they are doing.

As for burning Washington, that was 200 years ago. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Ken

#5 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 08:00

kenberg, on 2014-September-15, 07:41, said:

It is true that my skepticism meter clanged a bit when I read

Nonetheless, I was largely unaware of all of this and it looks to me like being unaware is a mistake. I hope for the best for it, and I think we could pay some serious attention. I make no assertion that Germany is doing it right or that Germany is doing it wrong, but it does appear that they are doing.

Sure, in the theory all these methods and innovations introduceed in Germany sound good. But this whole system is still unroofed, unsophisticated, they got in panic after Fukushima and decided things without think about it to the end. Who pays for it? The common customer. He subsidizes with his electric power bill the german industrie, because they have to be able to compete with countries with "traditional" energy poliicy. He pays also for all the house owners with solar systems on their roofs, subsidizing this costs and the eletric power these owners sell to the market. The goverment does not act in this matter, somebody have to pay all these dreams. These experiments are senseless so long most our neigbours like France, Poland etc set the future with nuclear power.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-15, 10:42

Germany is increasing its burning of lignite, which emits much more CO2 than other kinds of coal.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-15, 10:46

Aberlour10, on 2014-September-15, 08:00, said:

These experiments are senseless so long most our neigbours like France, Poland etc set the future with nuclear power.

Apparently Germany has ruled out the use of nuclear energy and is in the process of shutting down existing plants. So Germany will have to find other ways, many of which will be expensive.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 15:53

kenberg, on 2014-September-15, 07:41, said:

And again in 1968. Some of it, anyway.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-19, 17:58

From a thoughtful opinion piece in today's paper by my favorite talking head outside the watercooler:

This just in: Saving the planet would be cheap; it might even be free. But will anyone believe the good news?

I’ve just been reading two new reports on the economics of fighting climate change: a big study by a blue-ribbon international group, the New Climate Economy Project, and a working paper from the International Monetary Fund. Both claim that strong measures to limit carbon emissions would have hardly any negative effect on economic growth, and might actually lead to faster growth. This may sound too good to be true, but it isn’t. These are serious, careful analyses.

Maybe he also saw this chart on the energiewende site:

Posted Image
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users