BBO Discussion Forums: Play Poll - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play Poll

Poll: Play Poll (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Now what?

1. Ace, king, and ruff a heart (13 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

2. Ace of heart, heart to jack (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

3. Something else (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-13, 11:34

IMPs, strong team game. 8 is lead to dummy's ace and East's nine. Ace and king of trumps, West playing the 8 and then discarding the 5. What now?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-September-13, 12:23

Well, as a very simple estimate, ruffing the heart queen down in 3 is approx 1/3
Clubs 3-3 is approx 1/3
Neither of those coming in is 2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9, so that combined line is about 5/9.
I don't think that hearts are 1-6 because LHO is more likely to have led a singleton.

The heart finesse is a little over 50% (West has the short spades). So these two lines are very close.
However, my 1/3 estimate is low compared to the actual odds, so I go with the two-pronged approach.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-September-13, 14:13

Another option is to try Ace King in club. If West drops the Jack and is not playing really deep, you can cash the 10 and then cross to Dummy to pitch the diamond. If the Jack doesn't drop, you can then hook. The odds of the Jack dropping doubleton West is probably higher than stiff or void East, and probably by more than West dropping Jack from fourth.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2014-September-14, 11:09

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-September-13, 14:13, said:

Another option is to try Ace King in club. If West drops the Jack and is not playing really deep, you can cash the 10 and then cross to Dummy to pitch the diamond. If the Jack doesn't drop, you can then hook. The odds of the Jack dropping doubleton West is probably higher than stiff or void East, and probably by more than West dropping Jack from fourth.

Not by my calculations. Given spades 1-3, there are 12 and 10 empty spaces in the two hands. The odds of a particular 5-1 club break would be:

12 * 11 * 10 * 9 * 8 * 10 / 22 * 21 * 20 * 19 * 18 * 17

The odds of a particular 2-4 club break would be:

12 * 11 * 10 * 9 * 8 * 7 / 22 * 21 * 20 * 19 * 18 * 17

So the ratio of a particular 5-1 break to a particular 2-4 break is 10:7. We are interested in specifically 5-1 breaks where the jack is not singleton (of which there are five), and in 2-4 where the jack is doubleton (of which there are also five).

Thus it seems you are more likely to go down by cashing AK and getting ruffed, than you are to find Jx onside and make. Of course most of the time neither of these events happen and you are reduced to the heart finesse (which is actually better than 50% odds given the spade break).
Adam W. Meyerson

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-September-14, 12:11

There is a red flag in the bidding for me here, the D lead despite north bypass of a club control and east failure to X 4D. IMO it strongly suggest that west has the J of clubs and the hes likely to have the QH too.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 14:12

View Postbenlessard, on 2014-September-14, 12:11, said:

There is a red flag in the bidding for me here, the D lead despite north bypass of a club control and east failure to X 4D. IMO it strongly suggest that west has the J of clubs and the hes likely to have the QH too.

I am % 100 confident that what you saw as a "red flag" and what it "strongly suggests" is nothing more than your own shadow. Especially the analyse of non club lead and whereabouts of club J is really funny.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   buha 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-14, 16:26

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-September-13, 12:23, said:

Well, as a very simple estimate, ruffing the heart queen down in 3 is approx 1/3
Clubs 3-3 is approx 1/3
Neither of those coming in is 2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9, so that combined line is about 5/9.
I don't think that hearts are 1-6 because LHO is more likely to have led a singleton.

The heart finesse is a little over 50% (West has the short spades). So these two lines are very close.
However, my 1/3 estimate is low compared to the actual odds, so I go with the two-pronged approach.

Plus the squeeze

#8 User is offline   buha 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-14, 16:26

Clubs 3-3 is approx 1/3

Plus the squeeze

#9 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 16:51

View Postbuha, on 2014-September-14, 16:26, said:

Plus the squeeze

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately on this hand, the squeeze could never work as you can't cash enough winners for a squeeze without the count (you would have to give up a trump before you can run them, and as soon as you do, they win and cash a diamond).

Well, ok, there is a very remote squeeze, but it would require diamonds to break 8-1 with West leading the 8 from KQJT8753, not likely, but if it did happen, the squeeze would have to be in diamonds, and clubs or hearts (West can't have both rounded suits or there would be too many cards, and if East had them, dummy would be squeezed first).

That's enough squeeze madness for me tonight :)
Wayne Somerville

#10 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2014-September-15, 06:19

To me it appears,West has 5 diamonds and one spade.His heart and club holdings are unknown.If he has Qxx in hearts then it will come down when the third round is ruffed ,a fact which will occur if he holds xxxx in hearts as it will then come down from East.If nothing happens then it is very likely that clubs will be 3-3 and you can overtake the club ten and take the discard on the thirteenth club.

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-15, 07:38

I would try the heart ruff line. That has plans (b) [2-2 trumps] and (c.) [3-3- clubs] in reserve.

#12 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 07:54

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-September-15, 07:38, said:

I would try the heart ruff line. That has plans (b) [2-2 trumps] and (c.) [3-3- clubs] in reserve.

Plan B has already failed.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#13 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2014-September-15, 09:11

Clubs 3-3 is approx 1/3

One slight issue -- if east has 2 hearts lacking the queen, he can pitch a club from three on the third heart. This seems to lower the odds a bit, possibly enough that a finesse overtakes the line.
Adam W. Meyerson

#14 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-15, 09:18

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-September-13, 14:13, said:

Seems best to me - but what about the interesting case - Jack drops in two rounds from the EAST hand? Could he be falsecarding from three clubs while holding the Queen of hearts? Personally I'd believe the Jack, and take the heart finesse, and congratulate him on a fine play if he tricked me. Kind of a restricted choice philosophy - did he have to play the Jack, or was it a choice?

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 09:39

Im surprised nobody take the lead into account. Why would west make an agressive lead under a D honnor here ? North didnt show a control in clubs and didnt a show a real suit.

Im more agressive than passive when it come to leads but here i wouldnt lead under Hxxxx, Hxxx if I have a safe alternative. In fact when I get low spot lead like this vs top notch players I tend to finesse in S one way or another (but not here obv). The 52-48% odds no longer applies when you get a non-S lead.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#16 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-September-15, 10:14

View Postgordontd, on 2014-September-15, 07:54, said:

Plan B has already failed.

I replied to the poll before reading the rest.. lol.

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-September-15, 10:20

View Postbenlessard, on 2014-September-15, 09:39, said:

Im surprised nobody take the lead into account. Why would west make an agressive lead under a D honnor here ?

Black suit lead is in principle out of the picture. Between a diamond and a heart, I would say (on restricted choice grounds) that leading one would imply an unattractive holding in the other.

So if LHO likes aggressive leads, odds are he hasn't got the heart queen. If he likes passive leads, he probably has honors in both reds.

#18 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 11:08

Why club is out ? with 98x 987x etc 876 clubs look safer than D for me. Note partner didnt X 4D too. With Qxx of S he might X agressively to get the D lead.

#19 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 13:07

There is nothing "safe" about making a passive club lead on this auction.

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-15, 13:52

View Postbenlessard, on 2014-September-15, 11:08, said:

Why club is out ? with 98x 987x etc 876 clubs look safer than D for me. Note partner didnt X 4D too. With Qxx of S he might X agressively to get the D lead.

LOL ...Club is the last suit you want to lead. In fact I would think that it would not even occur to to anyone, and this is why it did not occur to anyone who replied, to have a strong clue, or any clue for that matter, from the non-club lead.

The conclusion you came to about the club suit and/or failure to lead is way off. What does it tell you, when one of them denies a control in one suit and the other one still keeps on cueing and eventually lands on slam? Besides the fact that some people do not even cue w/o first control. Also besides the fact that N opened 1 and we know he has 3-4-5 clubs. The conclusion regarding the whereabouts of Q, due to the lead, is not better than saying "play W for Q on cloudy days" Failure to dbl an artificial bid does not really mean much. People do not dbl with suits like Qxxx QJxx. In fact most avoid to dbl even with much better suits due to the fact that it gives extra space to opponents and/or it helps opps reevaluate in bidding and play better during declaring more than it helps pd. But if you are going to give too much credit to the failure of doubles, keep in mind that E also failed to dbl 5.
Do you think Adam or Frances would not take it into account, had there been such a "red flag" as you claimed and that it "strongly suggests" something other than probably nothing?

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-September-15, 13:07, said:

There is nothing "safe" about making a passive club lead on this auction.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users