Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why 6NT here?

#1 User is offline   rbradford4 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 14:09

I was playing earlier today in a robot tournament and the robot put me in a ridiculous 6NT contract on this hand. Is this how this is supposed to be bid or some sort of bug? I wasn't the only one that ended up in 6NT on the hand, but it looks like quite of few people ended up in the much more reasonable 3NT contract somehow.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-11, 14:36

I think bidding 1N after a double shows 18-19. With min balanced hand you pass.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 15:34

Good call on the NT range, Steve.

Although, South is supposed to make a Support Redouble, showing exactly 3 hearts.

Others who "somehow" ended up in 3N either passed over the double (showing 12-14HCP) or they opened 1N in the first place (showing 15-17HCP).

#4 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 17:13

There are any number of non-standard (and sometimes counter-intuitive) features of the BBO implementation of 2/1 GF. I believe that over any intervention by your RHO, your 1NT rebid shows 18-19 HCP, and the robot will absolutely hold you to it and leap to game or slam. It's a good idea to check the system notes before making any bid unless you are absolutely certain of what it will mean to the robot.

In addition to passing, you had the option of a support redouble to show your 3-card support. The latter doesn't specifically limit your hand, but it doesn't promise extra values either, so you shouldn't find yourself in the stratosphere when the bidding comes around to you the next time.

#5 User is offline   rbradford4 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 17:45

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-11, 17:13, said:

There are any number of non-standard (and sometimes counter-intuitive) features of the BBO implementation of 2/1 GF. I believe that over any intervention by your RHO, your 1NT rebid shows 18-19 HCP, and the robot will absolutely hold you to it and leap to game or slam. It's a good idea to check the system notes before making any bid unless you are absolutely certain of what it will mean to the robot.

In addition to passing, you had the option of a support redouble to show your 3-card support. The latter doesn't specifically limit your hand, but it doesn't promise extra values either, so you shouldn't find yourself in the stratosphere when the bidding comes around to you the next time.

I never would have guessed that 1N would show 18-19 here. What would 2N show?

I kind of wish you could have the robots play a different convention card. I certainly would love to do away with the forcing 1NT, 2/1 GF, and wouldn't mind simplifying a lot of the other conventions.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users