BBO Discussion Forums: Difficult hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difficult hand

Poll: Difficult hand (14 member(s) have cast votes)

What contract would you and your favorite partner reach?

1. 2H (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. 2NT (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 3NT (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

5. 4H (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

6. Some number of spades (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

7. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 07:55

Question 1: Do you want to be in 4H? How would your auction go?

Question 2: What is your line on the lead of a low trump?

-----a couple of system notes:

- I only play with this partner 3x per year, we play generic 2/1 but don't have solid agreements on many sequences like this.
- It was not clear whether North would've taken 2N (over 2S) as artificial/Leb or natural. So I bid 3D to be safe.
- Yes we play Support doubles, that's what I would have done with the North hand. I *think* my partner bid this way to show both shape and strength.
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-11, 09:20

Not sure where we end up, the start is clear by our methods though:

1-1-(2)
X(4, not necessarily extras)-2
2-2

N is pretty sure he's facing a 3424, but doesn't really know where to go, S knows he's likely facing a 4351 and has a similar issue.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-September-11, 09:41

There are several lines of play available and I think it almost impossible (for people other than Rosenberg, Rodwell, etc) to calculate the odds at the table.

I do infer that LHO probably lacks the trump Q on the lead: this isn't a strong inference.

That doesn't answer much. For example, I could duck in dummy, expecting to lose and hoping for a trump back, and then plan on setting up diamonds....but it must be very unlikely that both reds are 3-3, and I think I need that to make.

So here's what I think I would do at the table.

Win the heart high. Cross in spades and lead a low spade towards the Q. I expect the King to rise on my left. If it drops stiff, I will rethink at that point, so in what follows I assume it appeared on the second round.

Now it depends on what LHO does. Btw, I think I am down on almost all lies and defences if RHO wins the spade K.

I cannot spell out here all of the branching lines that arise at this point.

However, I am planning, in broad terms, to win AK hearts, 2 top diamonds, 2 diamond ruffs with the 10 and the 9, a club A, a club ruff with the J, the spade A...all this gets me to 9 winners. If spades are 3-3 or LHO is 2-2 majors, then the spade Q is my 10th trick.

How I would time everything, and indeed whether I'd stick with this line, depends on what happens through trick 3, when I have led the spade towards the Q.

Friendly opps, those who think it a crime not to give honest count, will have made the hand easy. Better opps: well, I'll have to have my antennae working well or have a good lie of the cards.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-11, 20:04

I must admit I would expect to reach 3NT and go down in practice. But some of the time they have KJTxxx opposite Qx and do not lead clubs.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-September-11, 21:04

Precision
1 - 1
1*- 2**
3N
where
* unlimited. Might be 4-card suit if 0/1
** 6-7 HCP and 3 card support.

Don't like our chances, but there is some chance that we get a lead on the given auction, and that we have time to develop tricks in the red suits. Probably happy to be down one.

Prefer 3N to 4... Put 3 small in North and AKJx in South and 4 is more appealing. Want to ruff with small trumps.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-12, 02:42

3NT 80% of the time, 4 in the rest.

Auction too off-standard to mention.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-September-12, 03:40

No I do not really want to be in 4 but it is tough to end up in a good spot here. For a 2/1 auction I am going with: 1 - 1 - (2); X - 2; 2 - 3; 3 - 3; 4 - 4 but it is only fair to point out that 2/1 is not a system I generally play. Giving a strong club auction is pointless without knowing what West would do.

For a line my first thought was high followed by 3 rounds of but most likely going after spades first is better. And you are right - this really is a difficult hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-12, 05:32

I have no idea how the bidding would go, I suspect I may well end in 3NT by North hoping South has Jxxx or something. As for the play. I'll win in dummy, diamond to the king, spade to the queen (without cashing the ace). If the queen holds, I'm in great shape. If the opponents win it, I may have to refer to the same card reading business.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-12, 11:00

I may well have had the same auction but would continue to 4 and end there.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-12, 11:45

1d 1h (2c) 2s 3d 3h the T9 and AK convince me to try 4h
this was imps right? I have to admit at MP I would pass 3h
and normally do not use support x. We would not end up in 4s
because the club pumps would have to be taken in the 4 card suit
which is not the case in 4h.

well shoot sure wish partner's club ace was the spade K
but such is life. The 2c overcall (and non club lead) seem
to strongly indicate the spade K is with lho so 3h 2?s 1c 2d
and how in the heck to I conjure up 2(3) more?

I hate giving up the tempo we saved from a non club opening lead
and since we need 33 hearts and 33 diamonds to make the hand the
normal way I think I will try for 33 spades (see trick 5) and a
high cross ruff.

trick 1 heart ace
trick 2 spade to ace
trick 3 spade toward Q (lho sure better have the k or ouchies)
it gets sketchy depending on how the defense goes so lets assume
they return another trump which is probably best anyway.
trick 4 heart K
trick 5 spade Q we survive this if spades split 33 or rho has the long
spade and 4 trumps cross fingers.
If spades break 33 it seems wrong to play the 4th spade or to now try for 33 hearts
our best chance seems to be now hoping lho was 3226 or 3235
trick 6 club ace
trick 7 dia to k
trick 8 dia to ace
trick 9 ruff a dia
trick 10 ruff a club
trick 11 dia and score tenth trick via uppercut

good luck with this one and quit overbidding (like me sigh)

#11 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-12, 12:46

View PostSteveMoe, on 2014-September-11, 21:04, said:

Precision
1 - 1
1*- 2**
3N

* unlimited. Might be 4-card suit if 0/1
** 6-7 HCP and 3 card support.

Don't like our chances, but there is some chance that we get a lead on the given auction, and that we have time to develop tricks in the red suits. Probably happy to be down one.

Prefer 3N to 4... Put 3 small in North and AKJx in South and 4 is more appealing. Want to ruff with small trumps.

If the opponents didn't bid, I would have the same Precision auction. HOWEVER, since I bet RHO would still bid 2 in 4th seat, my auction would start:
1 - (Pass) - 1 - (2) ; X (takeout) .

Now South is max HCP for the 1 bid and has an 'assumed' 4-4 fit, but the trumps are really weak, and North could have 2-3 fewer HCP. I probably still end up in 4, but I don't like it. Tough hand all around
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#12 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-12, 13:29

View Posthumilities, on 2014-September-11, 07:55, said:

Question 1: Do you want to be in 4H? How would your auction go?

Question 2: What is your line on the lead of a low trump?

-----a couple of system notes:

- I only play with this partner 3x per year, we play generic 2/1 but don't have solid agreements on many sequences like this.
- It was not clear whether North would've taken 2N (over 2S) as artificial/Leb or natural. So I bid 3D to be safe.
- Yes we play Support doubles, that's what I would have done with the North hand. I *think* my partner bid this way to show both shape and strength.

1 P 1 2
3 P 3 P
3NT P P P

#13 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-September-12, 16:53

View Postchasetb, on 2014-September-12, 12:46, said:

If the opponents didn't bid, I would have the same Precision auction. HOWEVER, since I bet RHO would still bid 2 in 4th seat, my auction would start:
1 - (Pass) - 1 - (2) ; X (takeout) .

Now South is max HCP for the 1 bid and has an 'assumed' 4-4 fit, but the trumps are really weak, and North could have 2-3 fewer HCP. I probably still end up in 4, but I don't like it. Tough hand all around

You're right about that. However sitting South, I might just pass the double and collect a nice bonus in 2 doubled. Maybe I need to change my poll choice to something else.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#14 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-14, 04:38

I like the bidding and think 4 is a great contract and not a bad one (certainly not after the trump lead), though declarer must play well.
I would probably support double with the North hand, because I like that any other bid denies three hearts. However, without this agreement North has given a good description of his hand.

From the bidding and lead I would deduce that West has no side suit shortage, likely holds the spade king and East has the Q.

Under those conditions 4 will always make as long as East has at least three spades even if the red suits break 2-4 or if East is 3=5=3=2 and West 3=1=3=6.
The idea is to take 2 spade tricks (via an avoidance play against West in spades), 2 diamonds, a club, 2 ruffs in hand, one club ruff in dummy and 2 top trumps:

T1: A
T2: A
T3: low spade to the queen

Assume West goes in with the K and switches to a club (best, a second trump is no better and declarer would continue exactly the same)

T3:K
T4:A
T5:K
T6:A
T7: ruff high in hand

At this point you have 6 tricks and the defense one.

T8: small spade to the queen.
If West does not ruff you make the spade queen and have 3 trump tricks coming by ruffing in hand high a card where East has to follow (or East is 3=4=3=3 and West 3=2=3=5) and a club in dummy with the J .
If West ruffs, you play will depend whether West discarded a spade on the diamond ruff (spades were 3-3).
If spades were 3-3, ruff the club return, ruff a diamond low, ruff a club high and make your remaining heart in hand en passant. (4 more tricks)
If West ruffs without previously having discarded a spade, you still have 2 ruffs coming and the heart king will draw West remaining trump if he had three and the spade queen will score. (4 more tricks)

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users