• You cannot reply to this topic

Look Into My Eye

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-10, 15:58

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

Here I am getting a bad result as I try to imitate the players I have seen overruling the robot when it runs from 1NT holding a hand with which it should stick. It always seems to work for them, but when it plays with me the robot is unwilling to play for overtricks in 1NT but is willing to risk going down in 3NT (admittedly in response to my tinkering).

The GIB Bid Description claims that the software "takes into account the form of scoring." Well, maybe in other instances, but not in this sequence; and not when South opens 1NT and North holds a long minor and slightly less than game-going values. In each instance, the robot retreats from NT, something that a human matchpoint player would avoid because it almost always leads to a bad result . After all (to be obnoxious and state the obvious) NT does score higher than s. In fact, you can find sequences akin to mine (insisting on NT instead of suit play) in old books on duplicate strategy, whereas you'll find North's bidding in discussions of how IMP strategy differs from matchpoint strategy. In all the expert opinion I've found, North should remove to the minor from 1NT at matchpoints only when weak (certainly <9 HCP when facing a 1NT rebid, in some opinions even less than that) or very distributional and, QED, expecting to score more in the minor than in NT.

As an aside, I'm curious about the function of the 3 cue-bid-after-sign-off, which I've encountered before en route to a bad result. Is North now proposing we play in other than or NT (maybe a 4-3 fit with the 4 being 8xxx)? Or is it perhaps the robot equivalent of a vertically-extended middle finger?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-10, 17:37

how do you keep duplicating the "http//" without a colon?

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 17:47

I'm using the method recommended in the pinned post "When Reporting GIB's bugs..." If there's a better way that doesn't require a computer science degree, tell me and I'll use it.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-10, 18:16

http://www.bridgebas...|S8|pc|SK|pc|SJ|

you invited its a max so it went

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 19:41

No issue with the result, which I know was a self-inflicted wound; my issue is with the original takeout to 2, which should show a weaker hand in my opinion.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users