• You cannot reply to this topic

Nuclear Option

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-09, 14:27

My link

IMPS, ACBL robot individual

I earned my bad result by failing to look at the system notes before bidding 3NT (although I still can't get used to a pre-empter subsequently jumping the bidding 3 levels to slam). But I really don't think that a 3NT bid in this position should be reserved for hands with 24-31 HCP. What does one do with Axx AKx Axx Axx, to site one example? Or Axx x AKQJxxx Ax? Surely those hands are more likely than a 24 HCP hand when the opponents have opened the bidding; and I'd like to be able to bid game with them without getting raised to slam by a robot that has re-evaluated its 7 HCP. As for 31 HCP, I've never had a hand that big, and if I add up the points promised by the 3 robots for their bids, there's no room for me to have that hand, so why provide for it? I'd suggest that the 3NT bid promise something like 15-20 HCP so that South has a little flexibilty given that he/she probably has to bid 3NT now if it's ever going to be bid.

If I ever have a 24-point hand in an auction like this, I'll deal with it. But every-day bids (like 3NT in an auction like this) should be available for hands that players hold with some frequency, not reserved for once-in-a-blue moon occurrences.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-09, 15:16

And West wisely didn't start by cashing his 2 aces against 6Nx B-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users