BBO Discussion Forums: Fantunes light (interesting new variation)... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantunes light (interesting new variation)...

#1 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-07, 10:46

Stumbled on the following and it seems interesting and very playable:

http://www.fanfantunes.n.nu/downloads

1: Always 16+, mostly balanced, some strong hands with
1: 12+, 4+, forcing and unbalanced
1: 12+, forcing
1: 12+, forcing
1N: 12-15
2: 5+ +4M OR 6+
2: 10-13, Multi
2M: 12-15 with M+ (5-4 or better) -> allows Gazzilli over 1M to be always strong

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-09, 11:11

I've been chatting to the author, and he's got some interesting ideas. I wouldn't call it 'light' though - there's a *lot* of gadgets in there to get it all to work.

Still need to be convinced by his range-stretching, though. In particular a 12-15 opening NT seems pretty uncomfortable to me.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2014-September-09, 14:39

Jinksy said:

1410282707[/url]' post='810798']
I've been chatting to the author, and he's got some interesting ideas. I wouldn't call it 'light' though - there's a *lot* of gadgets in there to get it all to work.

Still need to be convinced by his range-stretching, though. In particular a 12-15 opening NT seems pretty uncomfortable to me.

I agree, have been playing 12-15 hcp 1NT opening for 4 years and I don't like it, too big of a range.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#4 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-09, 15:33

View PostJinksy, on 2014-September-09, 11:11, said:

Agree -- seems like it should be possible to reduce the 1N to 12-14 and also lower the high and low limits on 2M ranges (with 15 prime going via Gazzilli).

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-September-09, 23:54

The 1C is somewhat similar in spirit to what I play but the rest is so-so.

What I play

1C = 15+ mostly bal, clubs or 15-17 with 5M.
1D= 4 unb 11-22 NF
1M = 11-14 or 18-21 NF
1Nt =12-14
2C= 5C+4M or 6C
normal weak 2
2NT is bad preempt in one minor or 5SM+5H 4 losers or less.

For me since 22+ are rare birds we really dont need 1D and 1M to be forcing.
Since all the D hands are in 1D... 1C-??-2D is "almost GF artificial " allowing us to stop low when responder got 0-2 pts.
Because 1M openings are splitted 11-14, 15-17, 18-21 we dont need Gazilli. Opening 2M with 5M+4C and losing two 2level preempt is a high price tag for Gazilli.

The problem I see with OP system is that 1C will be underused while 1NT will be overused. After 1C-1Y-?? those bids will be underused if there is only balanced hands or hand with clubs left for them. Also opening at 12 but responder not being able to pass is a bit annoying and dangerous vs good opps they will pass and X with a strong NT. With 1D not forcing it allow responder first step to a relay showing some strenght something that is probably not possible if 1D is forcing.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 03:24

View PostPrecisionL, on 2014-September-09, 14:39, said:

I agree, have been playing 12-15 hcp 1NT opening for 4 years and I don't like it, too big of a range.

Interesting, I played 11-16/14-19 first 2 seats/3 and 4 for a while and liked it, you do need a lot of system over it though (we played 4 card inv+ transfers and a load of other stuff). Much of the system divided this into 2 point ranges. If I played it again, I'd play a 5 point range as the only issues we had were with the middle range, which would be better as narrow as possible.

I play 12-15 in a real diamond precision setup occasionally, and it doesn't bother me, particularly if you upgrade really good 15s.

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 08:25

Same here 12-15 is totally playable but the loss of precision must be compensated elsewhere in the system.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 10:01

View Postbenlessard, on 2014-September-09, 23:54, said:

Opening 2M with 5M+4C and losing two 2level preempt is a high price tag for Gazilli.

The 2M preempts are covered by the 2 multi and the range can be adjusted.

The problem I see with OP system is that 1C will be underused while 1NT will be overused. After 1C-1Y-?? those bids will be underused if there is only balanced hands or hand with clubs left for them.

Seems like the OP's intent was to improve on the original 1 = 13+ forcing opening. Also, not having any other hand types in 1 makes sense in context of the rest of the system.

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 19:11

We play transfer rebids.

1S-1NT-2C (is D) etc..

One of the weakest part of our system is 1S-1NT-2S showing 5S+4C 11-14. Its really bad in itself but at least in our methods we can sometimes stop in 2red or in 1S. Opening 2S with those is not only bad for constructive purpose its risky and you lose one of best preempt in the game (im a very strong believer in weak 2M). Having 2D+2M as preempt is really not the same as having only 2D no matter if you play multi or whatever.

Having to open 2H with 5H+4C is even worse since the odds of 2S being a better spot than 2H/3C is pretty high. A quick fix would be to play 2M is 6 carder opening hand and 1M-1y-2M show 5M+4c instead.

As for 1C its one of the best constructive opening you can do, the frequency of this bid must at least be higher than a certain threshold.

#10 User is offline   snillrik13 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-15, 12:45

I am the guy behind the web site www.fanfantunes.n.nu. One main target with the system was to create a SIMPLE system for bridge players NOT having bridge as their profession. Also it is desigened for team play which explains the Gazilli twist (lerned it from Henri Schweizer - "Ritong"). You are all most welcome to visit the site and discuss details with me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users