• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

interesting and probably useless about those facts

#21 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-09, 09:33

Throw the horse over the fence some hay.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-09, 09:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-September-08, 10:07, said:

And, yes, adding a preposition makes the phrase clearer, but grammatically the preposition isn't needed.

Rik

I didn't understand it without.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-September-09, 10:18

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-September-09, 09:33, said:

Throw the horse over the fence some hay.

Throw over the fence the horse some hay.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-09, 11:35

You will over the fence the horse some hay throw.

(nightmares from German 101 class. They return.)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-20, 20:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-06, 00:37, said:

Well, obviously I am not a Latin scholar. I took what I read at face value. Sue me. :(

I was going to let this go, but my thoughts returned to it. Why do some people react this way upon being caught out after making pronouncements on matters about which they know fu ck-all?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-21, 14:09

View PostVampyr, on 2014-September-20, 20:25, said:

I was going to let this go, but my thoughts returned to it. Why do some people react this way upon being caught out after making pronouncements on matters about which they know fu ck-all?

If you know *****-all about something, and someone who seems knowledgeable says something, are you always expected to go research it for corroboration before repeating what you heard? If it's important to your life, that might be appropriate. But if it's just some random trivia or gossip, that's more work than people should be expected to do.

Yes, I realize this is how urban legends propagate -- no one thinks it's important enough to look for independent confirmation. After a while, there's been so much repetition of the original claim, that someone who DOES look for confirmation will find it, not realizing that it's also derived from the same rumor.

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-21, 16:37

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-21, 14:09, said:

If you know *****-all about something, and someone who seems knowledgeable says something, are you always expected to go research it for corroboration before repeating what you heard?

The OP stated that he read his erroneous information; this may well have been on the internet, so...

Anyway I do think that it is a good policy not to make assertions unless you know you are correct. In other cases, it is prudent to say something like "I heard" "I read" "I seem to remember" "it is my opinion that" etc. But I guess some people think that this makes them sound weak, and it is better to present everything as fact and when proven wrong to get defensive and try to demean the person who corrected him on such a trivial matter.

But my point was not that the OP made a mistake and looked foolish, it was his disrespectful and perhaps character-revealing reaction, as opposed to "oops, my information was wrong; didn't mean to misinform anyone" or the like.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-22, 07:58

you must be a lot of fun at parties
OK
bed

#29 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-22, 10:25

View PostVampyr, on 2014-September-21, 16:37, said:

But my point was not that the OP made a mistake and looked foolish, it was his disrespectful and perhaps character-revealing reaction, as opposed to "oops, my information was wrong; didn't mean to misinform anyone" or the like.

Isn't that essentially what he said? He explained what happened: he read something that seemed plausible, and believed it. "So sue me" is a way of saying "oops" for something that doesn't really matter much.

#30 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-22, 17:31

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-22, 10:25, said:

Isn't that essentially what he said? He explained what happened: he read something that seemed plausible, and believed it. "So sue me" is a way of saying "oops" for something that doesn't really matter much.

Clearly the phrase "so sue me" reads differently to different people if that's what you hear. I hear a tone of "I don't care that I was wrong, and I'm not going to take any blame for it [unless you file a lawsuit to force me]" when I hear someone say that.

#31 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-23, 09:19

Since I think I've used the phrase myself, my intent is something like "What are you going to do, sue me over such a trivial matter?"

#32 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-23, 09:29

Nathan Detroit to Adelaide:

Call a lawyer and sue me, sue me
What can you do me, I love you
Give a holler and hate me, hate me
Go ahead, hate me, I love you
Read more: Guys And Dolls - Sue Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Admittedly, Nathan Detroit might not be everyone's idea of a role model.
Ken

#33 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-23, 11:23

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-23, 09:19, said:

Since I think I've used the phrase myself, my intent is something like "What are you going to do, sue me over such a trivial matter?"

It wasn't trivial when the OP started a whole new thread about it. It was trivial only when he was shown to be wrong.

#34 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-23, 14:48

The semantics of "sue me" is more useless than interesting.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#35 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-23, 15:41

Back in Apple Computer's early days, Apple Records sued or threatened to sue, I don't remember which, over the former's use of the latter's name. They struck a deal which was essentially that the latter would stay out of the computer business, and the former would stay out of the music business. Some years later, Apple Computer had come to be a really big company, and they started in with iTunes and the iPod and such. IOW, they broke the agreement and got into "the music business". They also put a new "alert" sound on their computers. They named it "Sosumi".

I saw something I thought might be mildly amusing, maybe even interesting. I posted it. You don't agree. That's fine. Beyond that, I'm not getting into any more discussions on it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-23, 16:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-23, 15:41, said:

I saw something I thought might be mildly amusing, maybe even interesting. I posted it. You don't agree. That's fine. Beyond that, I'm not getting into any more discussions on it.

No, surprisingly perhaps to you, completely erroneous information was not all that interesting, LOL.

OOPS sorry that was Vampyr.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#37 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-23, 17:23

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-23, 09:19, said:

But why is that ok? Clearly if someone brought it up, *they* don't think it's trivial.

#38 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-23, 17:42

There are many things where it is "maybe sort of interesting" that there is common mis-usage. I recently finished reading Gone Girl. A fascinating psychological thriller and I am looking forward to seeing how they handle all the interior mental aspects in the movie. Along the way, I learned that "the hoi polloi" is incorrect, sort of like a VIN number. The Wikipedia agrees, saying that
"Hoi polloi (Ancient Greek: οἱ πολλοί, hoi polloi, "the many"), is an expression from Greek that means the many or, in the strictest sense, the majority."
So "The hoi polloi" translates to "The the many".

Sort of interesting. I guess.

And now:
Let's shoot craps.
For the culturally deprived, this is the universal response to everything for Big Louie from Chicago in Guys and Dolls.
Ken

#39 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-24, 03:34

View Postkenberg, on 2014-September-23, 17:42, said:

And now:
Let's shoot craps.
For the culturally deprived, this is the universal response to everything for Big Louie from Chicago in Guys and Dolls.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like playing bridge the way Big Louie plays craps? - with a pack of cards on which the faces have all worn off, but Big Louie remembers which is which....

#40 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-24, 05:09

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-September-24, 03:34, said:

Have you ever wondered what it would be like playing bridge the way Big Louie plays craps? - with a pack of cards on which the faces have all worn off, but Big Louie remembers which is which....

This has definitely occurred to me. Big Ken isn't big enough to pull this off, at least not big enough in a useful way.
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users