• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

interesting and probably useless about those facts

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-05, 15:09

The word "sic" is commonly used in British and American writing to indicate that material quoted is quoted exactly as in the original. In both British and American usage it is pronounced with a short i, like "sick". In the original Latin, however, it is pronounced with a long i, like one of our favorite bridge words, "psych". B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-05, 16:47

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-05, 15:09, said:

The word "sic" is commonly used in British and American writing to indicate that material quoted is quoted exactly as in the original. In both British and American usage it is pronounced with a short i, like "sick". In the original Latin, however, it is pronounced with a long i, like one of our favorite bridge words, "psych". B-)

And, as an English major once explained, the v in vini vidi vice is pronounced like a w. Some Somehow an image of Caesar saying Weenie Weedie Weekie is tough to conjure up.
Ken

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-September-05, 17:11

View Postkenberg, on 2014-September-05, 16:47, said:

And, as an English major once explained, the v in vini vidi vice is pronounced like a w. Some Somehow an image of Caesar saying Weenie Weedie Weekie is tough to conjure up.

That's sic!
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-05, 17:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-September-05, 17:11, said:

That's sic!

I see by the Wik that this is only for Classical Latin. But hey, that's me.
Ken

#5 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-September-05, 18:20

Worse than useless, when it is, in fact, false.

A Latin long i would sound like "seek". To sound like the bridge word it would have had to be spelled "saec."

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-06, 00:37

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-September-05, 18:20, said:

Worse than useless, when it is, in fact, false.

A Latin long i would sound like "seek". To sound like the bridge word it would have had to be spelled "saec."

Well, obviously I am not a Latin scholar. I took what I read at face value. Sue me. :(
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-06, 05:59

I'm still working on English. I gather from reading various reasonably literate pieces that "smarter then me", "faster than me" etc is now acceptable English. Growing up, it was "smarter than I" with the presumed but unstated conclusion "smarter than I am". A predicate nominative, so I was taught, or at least so I recall. Mrs. Kinne taught me this, but she is no doubt long dead. A toast to her in memory.
Ken

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-06, 09:14

View Postkenberg, on 2014-September-05, 16:47, said:

As I was taught, the "c" is pronounced as in Italian, so actually "weechay".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-06, 17:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-05, 15:09, said:

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard anyone use this term when speaking. The only occasion where I can imagine it would be something like an audiobook of a book that includes such a quotation.

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-September-06, 22:49

You've been going to the wrong theaters if you've never heard anyone shout "sic semper tyrannis!"

(In the nitpicks department: I wasn't saying it wasn't a long i, just that long-i doesn't sound like an English long i, in just about every other language I can pronounce. And it is veni -- so sounds like waynie rather then weenie :) )

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-06, 23:22

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-06, 17:57, said:

I'm not sure I've ever actually heard anyone use this term when speaking. The only occasion where I can imagine it would be something like an audiobook of a book that includes such a quotation.

Probably not, but when I read words, I hear them spoken in my head. Is that unusual?
--------------------

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-07, 15:24

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-September-06, 22:49, said:

You've been going to the wrong theaters if you've never heard anyone shout "sic semper tyrannis!"

Haven't been to Ford's Theatre in a long time.

But I was thinking of the word as used in brackets within a quotation. I didn't even make the association with the word when used in Latin phrases like that.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-07, 15:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-06, 23:22, said:

Probably not, but when I read words, I hear them spoken in my head. Is that unusual?

Probably not. Do you get into an argument with the voice over the proper pronunciation? Then it may be time to start worrying.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-07, 19:39

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-07, 15:25, said:

Probably not. Do you get into an argument with the voice over the proper pronunciation? Then it may be time to start worrying.

ROFL! Point taken! :lol:
--------------------

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-08, 09:18

View Postkenberg, on 2014-September-06, 05:59, said:

I'm still working on English. I gather from reading various reasonably literate pieces that "smarter then me", "faster than me" etc is now acceptable English. Growing up, it was "smarter than I" with the presumed but unstated conclusion "smarter than I am". A predicate nominative, so I was taught, or at least so I recall. Mrs. Kinne taught me this, but she is no doubt long dead. A toast to her in memory.

"He threw him the ball faster than me." seems correct English to me. But it means something different from "He threw him the ball faster than I.".

Just $0.02 from a non-native speaker.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-08, 09:24

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-September-08, 09:18, said:

"He threw him the ball faster than me." seems correct English to me. But it means something different from "He threw him the ball faster than I.".

Yes but if you want to make it clear it is probably better to say "he threw the ball faster to him than to me" or some such.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-08, 09:31

I once wrote in the newsgroup sci.lang that my two-years old nephew pronounced the word "spell" as "pell" which I found interesting because to me, "spell" without the s-sound becomes "bell", since "spell" is unaspirated.

I posted that from a Singaporian account. Some linguist commented that I, as a Chinese (sic) define the distinction between P and B on the basis of aspiration, but in European languages the difference is in voice, not aspiration. SP is unvoiced like P.

I found this intersting. I can't hear the difference between voiced and unvoiced sounds so I rely on aspiration to distinguish P/B and D/T. But that is apparently un-European.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-08, 10:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-08, 09:24, said:

Yes but if you want to make it clear it is probably better to say "he threw the ball faster to him than to me" or some such.

Sure. I merely meant to point out that "faster than me" is not wrong by definition... not even according to Ken's teacher's definition. It just means something else than "faster than I".

And, yes, adding a preposition makes the phrase clearer, but grammatically the preposition isn't needed.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-08, 13:31

"He threw the ball faster than [he threw] me". :P
--------------------

#20 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-08, 16:56

The Britons, however, who of course still used the old pronunciation, understanding him to have called them “Weeny, Weedy and Weaky,” lost heart and gave up the struggle, thinking that he had already divided them All into Three Parts.
-- 1066 and All That.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users