• You cannot reply to this topic

Positional Considerations

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 13:19

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual
I ran into a bit of bad luck here, playing 7NTX from the wrong side. If West had been on lead, the automatic underlead of the A against 7NTX would have let me wrap up the contract without guessing the club position.

Interesting to note that GIB doubles are non-standard in this kind of situation as in so many others. About 85 years ago (in 1929 to be exact) Theodore Lightner figured out that doubling a non-sacrificial slam that is going down makes no sense and suggested the double of a slam be used for lead direction. I believe it is now most commonly used to request the lead of dummy's first bid suit. Apparently, the robot uses it to announce 4-16 HCP (the 4 presumably being an Ace). Who can argue with success, though? The double gained against those robots who defended 7 undoubled and beat it. Note that 7 played from the "right" side did make as long as South opened 1. Those Souths who opened 2 somehow provoked West into leading its A.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 13:32

Do we want this thread to be about using Blackwood, just for the heck of it?

#3 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2014-September-04, 14:42

Very unlucky indeed, for Robot North to have to play with this gambler!
I might have uttered some bad language but those Robots really know how to handle setbacks like this, they won't be affected on the next boards. :)
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users