Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When in Rome Italian regulations

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 12:33

Does anyone know where I can find italian system and alert regulations in English?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 14:02

http://www.infobridg...one_Sistemi.htm

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-04, 16:19

View Postpatroclo, on 2014-September-04, 14:02, said:

This link doesn't work for me.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-04, 17:01

It does for me, but it's a link to system notes and CCs, not what I think you're looking for.

What I can get with my limited Italian and Google's less limited Italian is Appendix 1 of This document on the FIGB site. Unfortunately, when I try it, GoogleTranslate bombs out explaining Law 27... (trimming to only the three appendices doesn't top out translate on my box. It should be understandable gibberish, given the original, the best Google can do, and knowledge of bridge).

But it looks like "4 categories of tournaments, WBF rules, No HUM Ever, different levels of BSC allowance in Cat. 1 and 2 (no BSC in Cat 3)" with a guess that Cat 4 is 'whatever the club decides goes.'

Unfortunately, the Alert Appendix is Appendix 3, and it seems more convoluted (Alert conventional, don't alert not, here's a few exceptions, here's a few more without screens).

I would suggest also reading Appendix 2, especially the kicker at the end (assuming I'm reading it right). Might be a shock.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-September-06, 16:20

View Postmycroft, on 2014-September-04, 17:01, said:

Unfortunately, the Alert Appendix is Appendix 3, and it seems more convoluted (Alert conventional, don't alert not, here's a few exceptions, here's a few more without screens).

Most of that is just the WBF alerting policy translated into Italian. I think only 2(e)-(h) are additional to the WBF rules.

It's interesting to see that the Italian for "Brown Sticker" is "Brown Sticker". And for some reason I like Google's belief that bridge is played with a "boyfriend".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-06, 16:27

View Postgnasher, on 2014-September-06, 16:20, said:

Most of that is just the WBF alerting policy translated into Italian. I think only 2(e)-(h) are additional to the WBF rules.

It's interesting to see that the Italian for "Brown Sticker" is "Brown Sticker". And for some reason I like Google's belief that bridge is played with a "boyfriend".

Thanks. I don't know how to get Google translator on. Y mini iPad; could you please tell me what those differences are? And what is the thing about psyches?

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-September-07, 02:08

View PostVampyr, on 2014-September-06, 16:27, said:

Thanks. I don't know how to get Google translator on. Y mini iPad; could you please tell me what those differences are? And what is the thing about psyches?

I think owners of iThings should learn to live with the consequences of their buying decisions. If you knowingly choose form over substance, you can't reasonably expect others to mitigate the consequences of that choice. Anyway, I know you have a perfectly good computer, because I've seen it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-07, 02:35

View Postgnasher, on 2014-September-07, 02:08, said:

Anyway, I know you have a perfectly good computer, because I've seen it.

Cool brag.

#9 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 15:15

View Postmycroft, on 2014-September-04, 17:01, said:

Unfortunately, when I try it, GoogleTranslate bombs out explaining Law 27... (trimming to only the three appendices doesn't top out translate on my box. It should be understandable gibberish, given the original, the best Google can do, and knowledge of bridge).

I'm not surprised. It's hard to imagine that GoogleTranslate would recognise the language of WBFLC-speak. An English translation of the Law 27b1b (including the WBFLC "interpretation") would be most welcome!

#10 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-10, 15:54

It is difficuly to read also in italian Language.
In practice if one bid an insufficient bid, he may correct with an other bid of the same meaning
quote name='jallerton' timestamp='1410383742' post='811023']
I'm not surprised. It's hard to imagine that GoogleTranslate would recognise the language of WBFLC-speak. An English translation of the Law 27b1b (including the WBFLC "interpretation") would be most welcome!
[/quote]

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-September-10, 20:51

View Postpatroclo, on 2014-September-10, 15:54, said:

In practice if one bid an insufficient bid, he may correct with an other bid of the same meaning

Unfortunately, I have not assigned meanings to insufficient bids with any of my partners... but let's not get into it. The law is gruesome, and we have been over this before.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users