BBO Discussion Forums: A GCC legal transfer opening structure? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A GCC legal transfer opening structure?

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 04:47

I met a system this summer which was pretty interesting:

1C = 4+ spades, 8+
1D = 4+ hearts, 8+
1M = 5+ suit, 8-14 (but might have been another range)
1NT = 13-17, no major
2m = 13-17 unbal, no major
2H = 18+ hcp, 5+ clubs and no major
2S = 18+ hcp, 5+ diamonds and no major
2NT = Cant remember, perhaps 18-20?

I'm unsure of the merits of this structure (I think it is an attempt to play a legal version of the forcing pass system Säfflespader), but would it be GCC legal? The 1m openings are nebulous, which seems to be legal when playing forcing club/diamond and the rest of the bids are either natural or strong.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-September-04, 04:56

> would it be GCC legal?

No
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-September-04, 07:43

View PostKungsgeten, on 2014-September-04, 04:47, said:

1C = 4+ spades, 8+
1D = 4+ hearts, 8+
1M = 5+ suit, 8-14 (but might have been another range)
1NT = 13-17, no major
2m = 13-17 unbal, no major
2H = 18+ hcp, 5+ clubs and no major
2S = 18+ hcp, 5+ diamonds and no major
2NT = Cant remember, perhaps 18-20?

I'm unsure of the merits of this structure (I think it is an attempt to play a legal version of the forcing pass system Säfflespader), but would it be GCC legal? The 1m openings are nebulous, which seems to be legal when playing forcing club/diamond and the rest of the bids are either natural or strong.

not even close to being gcc legal

the nebulous 1/1 must be 10+ hcp. not even sure their nebulous as their showing a suit.

2m not a allowed convention

2/2 transfers not allowed for 2-level openings

1M I presume shows a minor so is not allowed as a convention

that leaves only 1N/2N allowed
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-04, 08:02

Okay, so 1C and 1D would be legal if it shows 10+ hcp? The definition seems to be an "all purpose opening bid" with at least 10 hcp. 1M does not show a minor, its natural. If you hold a 5+ major when opening 1m you have at least 15+ hcp (if less hcp then exactly four cards in the major). The 2m openings are natural, they show the suit bid. It says that "STRENGTH SHOWING OPENING AT THE TWO LEVEL OR HIGHER that asks for aces, kings, queens, singletons, voids or trump quality and responses thereto." are legal. So opening 2M with a strong minor seems to be legal, but you have to use some kind of crap response if you play them?

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-September-04, 08:03

View PostKungsgeten, on 2014-September-04, 08:02, said:

Okay, so 1C and 1D would be legal if it shows 10+ hcp?

No
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-04, 09:05

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-September-04, 07:43, said:

that leaves only 1N/2N allowed

1N not allowed either.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize that it promises a balanced hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-September-04, 17:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-04, 09:05, said:

1N not allowed either.

Why not?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-04, 17:08

1m - if you upped these to 10 hcp, they would have a chance. However, transfer openings are hated by the ACBL committee in charge of this, so it wouldn't fly even if it ought to under the "all purpose" clause on the GCC ("all purpose" is what we say, not what you say). If you included a few 31(54) shapes in 1m, perhaps awkward ones, then it would not promise 4M although it would have them most of the time. If you're playing 1m as forcing (I expect you are), you could add a few very strong hands that don't have a 4M and then you should be good on the all-purpose front. For example, you don't have bids listed for 21+ NT hands with 4m333 or (32)44 shapes, so maybe these hands open their better 4 card minor 1m?

1M - should be fine, even if there is a negative inference that it's unbalanced.

1N - contrary to Helene's comment, any range with 8+ is allowed for 1N as long as it's generally balanced (no voids or singletons, usually). 13-17 balanced no major is fine and doesn't run into the conventional continuation restrictions either (since it's 10+ and the full range is 5 or less hcp)

2m - if these are natural (3+ in the bid suit), then they are completely legal. I believe that was what was meant

2M - these are strong, but that's not enough. However, if you ask partner for trump support (or A/K points or something similar), then these would be fine. It probably wouldn't be too hard to cast your responses in terms of support for openers minor in these sequences.

2N - this is fine if balanced or semi balanced.

#9 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-05, 12:58

I actually agree with rbfoster that except for the response scheme to 2M that needs to show "aces, kings, queens, singletons, voids or trump quality", this should be legal.

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-September-05, 18:23

I tried 1D = 4 hearts and got shot down, though I had a couple directors on my side. The hazard of asking for a ruling is that once you get one you can't deny having gotten one sometimes.

#11 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-09, 13:00

OK, I'll alert 1D as "10+ not suitable for any other opening". If that's not catchall, I don't know what catchall means. It *just* turns out that the only hole in the system is the hands with 4 hearts...

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-September-09, 13:21

View Postantonylee, on 2014-September-09, 13:00, said:

OK, I'll alert 1D as "10+ not suitable for any other opening". If that's not catchall, I don't know what catchall means. It *just* turns out that the only hole in the system is the hands with 4 hearts...

I sincerely hope that you get caught and crucified.

Lying about your methods in order to avoid disclosure requirements is about as low as you can get.
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-09, 14:14

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-September-09, 13:21, said:

I sincerely hope that you get caught and crucified.

Lying about your methods in order to avoid disclosure requirements is about as low as you can get.

Why so hostile? Does Antony really have to put a smiley in such posts?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-September-09, 14:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-September-09, 14:14, said:

Why so hostile? Does Antony really have to put a smiley in such posts?

Because I have seen far too many people say these types of things in complete seriousness?
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-16, 12:14

OK, so let's be clear: a smiley was intended after the previous post. I have played various "funny" methods and have always described the non-obvious inferences to the opps. Still, it doesn't mean that how you alert your methods can have an influence on its legality...
For example, when I played in the district and the national finals of the GNTC two years ago, I was playing (NV only) 2C=8-11 bal with 4+ clubs -- essentially a mini-notrump. This is a GCC-legal method -- I have an official ruling for that (saying in essence "it's a (semi)constructive natural opening and would be illegal if weaker"), which was questioned by the opps, and upheld by the DIC. Over that, we played 2D~ NF stayman with 3+D, 3C&3D~ F stayman with 3+ of the minor (essentially we lose "only" on invitational hands with a 4cM and not 3D, and GF 5=4=2=2 hands (with 4=5=2=2 we can start with 3H)).
Now if we alert these as "Stayman" this will certainly be ruled as illegal (as "conventions over weak twos with less than 5 cards"), so we alerted 2D as (if I remember well, wording not exact) "less than GF, 3+D (making it natural), usually 4+M" and 3m as "GF, 3+m, usually interested in opener's major holding".
I believe these satisfy full disclosure, but also say something about the problem we are discussing...

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-September-17, 08:38

The expression "all-purpose" is of course useless unless it really means that it could be anything the partnership wants it to be, which is probably not the case. I suppose there is some case law that gives us some clue as to what it means in ACBL lingo.

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 18:01

View Postantonylee, on 2014-September-16, 12:14, said:

For example, when I played in the district and the national finals of the GNTC two years ago, I was playing (NV only) 2C=8-11 bal with 4+ clubs -- essentially a mini-notrump. This is a GCC-legal method -- I have an official ruling for that (saying in essence "it's a (semi)constructive natural opening and would be illegal if weaker")

IMO, that's not GCC legal since it doesn't promise 5+ clubs. Conventional responses would also be disallowed under item 7 in the Disallowed section of the GCC charts. As we've seen, you can get "official" rulings that have no reliance on the actual rules.

#18 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 19:20

View Postjohnu, on 2014-September-17, 18:01, said:

IMO, that's not GCC legal since it doesn't promise 5+ clubs. Conventional responses would also be disallowed under item 7 in the Disallowed section of the GCC charts. As we've seen, you can get "official" rulings that have no reliance on the actual rules.

Natural bids are allowed and for minor suits that's showing 3+ cards. this covers both his 2 opening and the natural 2 response. Artificial responses aren't allowed when a natural two level bid is weak and doesn't promise 5+ cards, but natural responses are fine. However, it's not clear to me that an 8-11 range for 2 counts as "weak two bid" (a term not defined by the GCC), and if it were viewed as constructive rather than weak, the restriction on responses wouldn't apply at all.

#19 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 20:16

Let's face facts -- there is no such thing as a GCC legal transfer opening method at the one level -- it is ACBL's obvious intent not to allow this, in part because of a determination to keep Moscito out of North America, regaring it as the same moral evil as FP systems. (Yes, ACBL does think in those terms--ask hrothgar). ACBL management will never interpret the GCC as allowing transfer openings at the one level, no matter what the letter of the GCC says. This is an (admittedly highly unfortunate, in my view) fact of reality, but will continue to be a fact of reality as long as current management is running the show. Try formulating systems for use in somewhat sane bridge jurisdictions--ACBL GCC is a lost cause, and Mid-Chart is not much better (Super-chart is not too bad, actually, but who gets to play it?)

#20 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 23:55

View Postrbforster, on 2014-September-17, 19:20, said:

Natural bids are allowed and for minor suits that's showing 3+ cards. this covers both his 2 opening and the natural 2 response. Artificial responses aren't allowed when a natural two level bid is weak and doesn't promise 5+ cards, but natural responses are fine. However, it's not clear to me that an 8-11 range for 2 counts as "weak two bid" (a term not defined by the GCC), and if it were viewed as constructive rather than weak, the restriction on responses wouldn't apply at all.

There are several places in the ACBL alert documentation where opening bids on the 2 level are only considered "natural" if they contain 5+ cards, and 6+ cards on the 3 level. This is contradicted by your definition where a minor suit opening only needs 3 cards. This leads to the ridiculous interpretation that an opening 3 is natural on a 3 card suit. If there is no actual definition of "weak", just like there's no definition of "strong", then "constructive" is even less defined. There are a couple of places where 10 points are specifically mentioned for opening 1 bids, so it seems reasonable to me that "weak" 2's would have a lower range less than 10 points, but what do I know :unsure:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users