BBO Discussion Forums: Another Random Robot Act of Kindness - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another Random Robot Act of Kindness

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 15:07

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

West's play of the K at trick 2 is a conscious gift. While East may have played the A because it has been taken in by South's "psyche" and is attempting to minimize overtricks, West knows about the psyche as soon as East makes that play. More importantly, West also knows the contract will go down as long as East plays back a ; and if East returns a , declarer will have to guess that West has exactly the hand that it has, win the A and play for a strip squeeze against West. The 2 is the only card West will consider playing at trick 2 unless it's being charitable.

By the way, is there anyone who hasn't yet realized that, despite system notes to the contrary, North really opens strong rather than weak 2 bids? Certainly not strong in high cards, but in the unusually high percentage of the time that they will result in game even though South has a comparatively weak hand. Astute Souths (such as the South in the display hand) will bid game, even holding very modest hands, confident that, even if they are low-percentage, the robots will find a way for them make, such as by throwing Kings under Aces. I'm not yet at the point where I will just bid game with any South hand, but I'm getting there.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 16:03

The explanation of 3 includes "7-HCP". This should be a systemic sequence, not a judgment call, so either North must bid 3N with a featureless max, or the explanation of 3 needs to include this possibility.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 16:50

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-03, 15:07, said:

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

West's play of the K at trick 2 is a conscious gift. While East may have played the A because it has been taken in by South's "psyche" and is attempting to minimize overtricks, West knows about the psyche as soon as East makes that play. More importantly, West also knows the contract will go down as long as East plays back a ; and if East returns a , declarer will have to guess that West has exactly the hand that it has, win the A and play for a strip squeeze against West. The 2 is the only card West will consider playing at trick 2 unless it's being charitable.

By the way, is there anyone who hasn't yet realized that, despite system notes to the contrary, North really opens strong rather than weak 2 bids? Certainly not strong in high cards, but in the unusually high percentage of the time that they will result in game even though South has a comparatively weak hand. Astute Souths (such as the South in the display hand) will bid game, even holding very modest hands, confident that, even if they are low-percentage, the robots will find a way for them make, such as by throwing Kings under Aces. I'm not yet at the point where I will just bid game with any South hand, but I'm getting there.

It make no sense either way- simulating West to have less HCP and the club return is still correct. I.e assume NOrth-South have 25 total points and somewhat less HCP as there is the long diamonds so South has the KQ of spades or K of hearts and Q of spades. No reason for West not to just have KQxxxx of clubs and nothing else.

#4 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-September-05, 07:42

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-September-03, 16:03, said:

The explanation of 3 includes "7-HCP". This should be a systemic sequence, not a judgment call, so either North must bid 3N with a featureless max, or the explanation of 3 needs to include this possibility.

It's about to be improved, but meantime over 2X weak opening -> 2NT forcing, 3NT reply means AKQ of the suit.

Repeating 3X as long as GIB's other calls mean feature it's kind of nothing-else-to-do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users