BBO Discussion Forums: Randall Munroe on tonight's Colbert Report - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Randall Munroe on tonight's Colbert Report

#1 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-03, 09:29

Comics from XKCD are frequently relevant to threads here, so I thought I'd mention that the author will be the guest on The Colbert Report tonight. This is probably in promotion of his "What If?" book, which is a collection of his series of humorous essays where he answers readers questions about extreme hypotheticals.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-03, 09:31

Coincidentally, as I was typing that I received email from Amazon.com that my copy of the book, which I totally forgot that I pre-ordered a while ago, has been shipped.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-04, 00:20

Colbert Report is awesome Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-05, 10:23

He was an excellent guest -- he obviously knew what to expect from Colbert.

And the book arrived yesterday. I've read all the online "What if?" columns, so I'll have to skip through it looking for the ones that are new to the book.

He lives in Cambridge, MA, the next town over from me. I wonder if he'll be doing any book signings or readings in the area.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-September-05, 10:31

Just answered my own question by googling "randall munroe book signing". He is doing a book tour, but the signing in Harvard Square was 3 days ago. It was my bridge club night, plus they were charging $26 (not as bad as it sounds because it includes a copy of the book), so I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. He'll be at the NYC Barnes & Noble in Union Square tonight, then next week he's working his way down the west coast: Seattle on Tuesday, Bay Area Wed & Thu, LA on Friday.

He'll be doing an online interview on Google+ Hangout on Friday, 9/12 at 3:30 PT/6:30 ET/22:30 GMT.

#6 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-05, 15:05

I just got my copy from Amazon. :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-06, 10:00

I work next door to the B&N in Union Square and went over there shortly before 7, and they said they had reached the room's capacity some time before, so I didn't get to go in. I'm glad the book is doing well.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users