BBO Discussion Forums: Tricks agreed, cards folded away, revoke dispute arises - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tricks agreed, cards folded away, revoke dispute arises Potential revoke ignored?

#1 User is offline   hokum 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 02:23

I presume that in an ambiguous dispute about tricks taken/revokes, you rule in favour of the pair whose cards are still on the table, in sequence (65D, 66D).
But what if the number of tricks was agreed, a pair folded their cards away, and then the director is called to resolve a dispute about a revoke?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 03:17

View Posthokum, on 2014-September-03, 02:23, said:

I presume that in an ambiguous dispute about tricks taken/revokes, you rule in favour of the pair whose cards are still on the table, in sequence (65D, 66D).
But what if the number of tricks was agreed, a pair folded their cards away, and then the director is called to resolve a dispute about a revoke?

Thanks

If the situation is ambiguous you rule against the side that later objects to a result already agreed upon.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-September-03, 11:40

But you try to resolve whether the revoke happened first, even replaying it if you can, before it's "ambiguous"...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-03, 12:45

View Postmycroft, on 2014-September-03, 11:40, said:

But you try to resolve whether the revoke happened first, even replaying it if you can, before it's "ambiguous"...

If you're achieved that, it wouldn't be ambiguous and we wouldn't be discussing it.

#5 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-September-03, 12:55

View Postmycroft, on 2014-September-03, 11:40, said:

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-03, 12:45, said:

If you're achieved that, it wouldn't be ambiguous and we wouldn't be discussing it.

Precisely!

But there is also a limit on how much time I am willing (as TD) to spend investigating such "late" questionable claims after a result has been agreed upon.

#6 User is offline   hokum 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-September-03, 20:32

Thanks, it would definitely be important to try to establish the play before ruling (especially in a congress setting).

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-September-04, 08:33

View Postbarmar, on 2014-September-03, 12:45, said:

If you've achieved that, it wouldn't be ambiguous and we wouldn't be discussing it.
Well, yes, but this is in the context of "training for the TD exam". Everybody has met at least one TD whose response to anything unusual is "A+/A-" rather than investigating; so I was just making it clear that "just because the cards were folded up doesn't make it ambiguous. Only after a reasonable attempt to determine what happened has failed is it ambiguous."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users