Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My lead Nearest my thumb?

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-02, 06:31

I believe that I have bid my hand perfectly, but now I have to lead. Your thoughts?

It's matchpoints, the 1 bid was a Precision type diamond with 11-16 highs and 2+ diamonds. I think their opening 1NT, had they done it, would have been 11-13. South took his allotted ten seconds or so after partner's 5 but there was no undue hesitation anywhere. South did shrug a bit before calling 5, as well he might regardless of what he is holding. That's pretty much what I can give you to go on.
Ken

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-02, 07:19

Lot of guesswork to do, so this seems like a good time for teh ye olde "ace to see dummy" lead.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 10:49

Dummy is marked with shortness? Check. Declarer seems to be low on values? Check. No apparent discards looming? Check.

I lead a trump.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-02, 10:53

Eagles, my partner will love you. You will get your ace as partner shows out, then he gets a ruff, then he cashes his ace of hearts. Anything else and they score it up. For example a heart lead goes to partner's ace, establishing declarer's king, and since partner has a club void he has no way back to you. I guess I should have led the club!
Ken

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 12:20

View Postkenberg, on 2014-September-02, 10:53, said:

My partner will love you. You will get your ace as partner shows out, then he gets a ruff, then he cashes his ace of hearts. Anything else and they score it up. For example a heart lead goes to partner's ace, establishing declarer's king, and since partner has a club void he has no way back to you. I guess I should have led the club!

Aha, was that supposed to be a lightner double?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-September-02, 13:17

View Postbillw55, on 2014-September-02, 12:20, said:

Aha, was that supposed to be a lightner double?

Well, we have no such agreement. I would say more of a "do something intelligent" double and that is always risky when playing with me. It seems to me we could go with either of two views here:

1. Partner seems to think we can beat this and he doesn't know I have a club Ace. Since I have it, we should beat this as long as I don't do something rash that backfires. This was my view so I led a diamond. I didn't really expect it to hold, I just figured it wouldn't blow a trick.

2, Partner is hoping I can contribute something. So I could lead the club and if everyone follows I could shift to a heart hoping for a rough somewhere. Of course that would only be the second trick if I cash the club and switch to a heart ruffed.

I went with plan 1. It's plan 2 that works. Sometimes after a hand is over, even if what i tried failed, I feel I would do the same next time. Here I really don't know.

The diamond ace is in the dummy. Partner's defensive tricks are the heart ace and the club ruff if I lead a club. The X is adventuresome I think, but it had potential.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users